onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

iBoom Boom - was it a red?

sapperclarke

Advert

Incidentally, slightly off topic but ont he issue of interpretations, did anyone watch the Chelski v Manure game this afternoon. Torres was slightly touched by Evans, went down and was booked for diving, second yellow - he walks. Young was slightly touched by Ivanovic, goes down and Ivanovic walks. Where is the consistency there?

That was the first Manure game that Clutterbuck had done since he reffed the 6-1 defeat to City at OT last season when he sent off Evans. I bet it won't be 12 months before he gets the next Reds match!

I thought the ref was spot on and credit to him for making the decision in front of a hostile Chelsea crowd.

The game didn't produce the result I was hoping for but I thought Ivanovic clipped Young when clean through. I thought Evans slightly caught Torrres but he went down thinking the covering defender, Ferdinand, was getting to the ball before him.

The clampdown on diving has clearly started with a good honest professional in Phil Neville also booked yesterday.

I think it's a tough call. Which ever way you look at it, Boom was off his feet and was not in control of the challenge; on the other hand, it was not malicious and was a genuine attempt to play the ball. If I had to go one way, I'd say it was a red just because he was off his feet and it going flying in like that, injury to the other player is a foreseeable consequence- where that sits within the rules though, I'm not sure.

Either way, I feel incredibly sorry for the injured player and for John McCombe, who in however many years he's played for us, I have never seen make a malicious tackle once. I hope they both get over this as quickly as possible

I think it's a tough call. Which ever way you look at it, Boom was off his feet and was not in control of the challenge; on the other hand, it was not malicious and was a genuine attempt to play the ball. If I had to go one way, I'd say it was a red just because he was off his feet and it going flying in like that, injury to the other player is a foreseeable consequence- where that sits within the rules though, I'm not sure.

Either way, I feel incredibly sorry for the injured player and for John McCombe, who in however many years he's played for us, I have never seen make a malicious tackle once. I hope they both get over this as quickly as possible

Totally agree. Once your feet leave the ground you are no longer in control of your momentum or resultant actions. A car with no brakes. It was no way intentional but was reckless, hence the red card. Best wishes to the lad and also hope JM can come to terms with it soon.

never a red , had the lad not broken his leg he wouldnt have even seen a yellow. the ref bottled it (muppet) by reacting to the sight of the injury . cobblers players even shook mc combe s hand as he left the pitch . had the ref genuinely deemed the challenge poor he would have sent him immediately and their lads would have been all over mc combe . the ref didnt and their lads didnt either . akinfenwa has even commented in the press that it was just an unfortunate challenge and one of those freak accidents .

Totally agree. Once your feet leave the ground you are no longer in control of your momentum or resultant actions. A car with no brakes. It was no way intentional but was reckless, hence the red card. Best wishes to the lad and also hope JM can come to terms with it soon.

A reckless challenge is just a yellow card. To be a red, it has to have been made with excessive force. The ref would argue that the challenge was reckless and the outcome showed that excessive force had been used?? The only offence where intent is relevant is handball.

If you want to see a real reckless challenge using excessive force have a look at this but BEWARE - do not look at it if you have a weak stomach!

A reckless challenge is just a yellow card. To be a red, it has to have been made with excessive force. The ref would argue that the challenge was reckless and the outcome showed that excessive force had been used?? The only offence where intent is relevant is handball.

If you want to see a real reckless challenge using excessive force have a look at this but BEWARE - do not look at it if you have a weak stomach!

That reminds me of Foley's tackle on Aspin but Neil was a tough un and lucky not to have the same result.

I actually thought Torres dived.

The tv replays clearly show that Evans boot ran down the front of Torres shin. He was therefore contacted, his movement forward affected by avoiding Evans going to ground, the contact and his own wish to avoid injury. Only he knows whether it hurt and probably it was a minor pain for a few seconds. He did go to ground and he could have limped instead, but he was entitled to a free kick. The ref, in no position to be certain about contact and with doubt therefore in his mind, chose the most controversial and illogical decision possible and ruined the game. He turned it from sport to soap opera with him as the star and his official then compounded this by awarding a winner to united that was offside. Finally he has behaved in a way that gave Chelsea the chance to complain about his conduct just to make sure bad publicity persists for a few more days.

McCombe caused a serious injury. If he had not made the tackle or made the tackle more carefully the injury would not have happened. He went to ground with a diving block tackle - that is not in breach of the rules in some cases - but the outcome comprehensively shows here it was reckless and deangerous. There is no defence at all, except to say that he was just trying too hard and not intending to be a dirty player. Finally, he was last man and very very very last man - in front of the goal line. The ref could have shown him 2 red cards if that was allowed.

McCombe caused a serious injury. If he had not made the tackle or made the tackle more carefully the injury would not have happened. He went to ground with a diving block tackle - that is not in breach of the rules in some cases - but the outcome comprehensively shows here it was reckless and deangerous. There is no defence at all, except to say that he was just trying too hard and not intending to be a dirty player. Finally, he was last man and very very very last man - in front of the goal line. The ref could have shown him 2 red cards if that was allowed.

That's silly. The fact that he was the last man is completely irrelevant in this instance because he did not prevent a goalscoring opportunity.

I think Warren makes a good point.......'If he had not made the tackle' - that's where the game is heading, let's not make tackles as people may get hurt, indeed let's not run - you could fall and break a leg, indeed just walking onto the pitch you could turn your ankle on a divot, let's not use grass it's dangerous, but then what of plastic pitches?.....I don't know, we could just go on and on and on.

I notice not alot has been written of the 'reckless challenge' on Vincent, nor the 'forearm smash' on JMW......or is that me just being a cynical old basket.

Boothroyd told the media: ”John came to find me after the game and apologised. He told me he went for the ball and I just said it was fine, I understood. I know he didn’t mean to cause the damage that he did.

Archived