onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Option for DOF or similar role

How about we just go an pinch this guy?

I do also like the Martin Foyle suggestion.

Or do we go for someone with less power and control than Flitcroft had, someone who just becomes a “football person” that can guide Carol… Leon Legge?

• Like 1

Advert

I don’t think we need one at our level, whichever level that will be next season, 

however Carol is on record as saying she’s not a football person so maybe someone with extensive football knowledge to advise her. 
pity Rudgie isn’t 30 years younger. 
Agree Foyle or Legge are good shouts.

If we are going that route again then we need a steady hand on the tiller. I would be more looking at someone like Neil warnock. Serial over achiever and someone with extensive contacts and knowledge. It will all boil down to cost.

• Like 1

Most clubs in professional football have one. Carol needs some at director level who understands the game inside and out. 

I’d aim to replace Flitcroft with someone working in a recruitment department at a very successful club relative to budget - Brentford, Luton, even Lincoln etc - and allow them to build a team.

None of this ridiculous philosophy and mass infrastructure stuff.  Focus on signing good footballers who are undervalued by others. A far more limited remit, which will allow them to focus on fewer things with more detail. Recruitment should be the number 1 measure they’re judged against.

• Like 7

I don’t think we need one at our level, whichever level that will be next season, 
however Carol is on record as saying she’s not a football person so maybe someone with extensive football knowledge to advise her. 
pity Rudgie isn’t 30 years younger. 
Agree Foyle or Legge are good shouts.
You'll struggle to find a club without one, apparently Congleton Town have one.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

For me Martin Foyle would be a good head of recruitment and to be Carol's football advisor in the Boardroom.  Whoever is appointed needs to get on well with Darren Moore, be good at PR with supporters, offer good advice, but keep a low profile in team matters.

The perfect template was John Rudge in his time with that other team in partnership with Tony Pulis.  Rudgie is ideal where he is now so that role is not for him now.   There may be others, but so far Tin is the man for me.  Leon Legge has no experience beyond playing.  Neil Warnock, great manager, but not an advisor.

Nothing will happen until the season is over I feel.

• Like 4

Like I said yesterday, if this was the John Rudge era where we really only sign 3 or 4 players at most every summer then I would say we do not need want.

But times have a changed at our level of football where there is a huge turnover of players each summer we need someone kind of recruitment person in place because how is Darren Moore supposed to sign 10 + players on his own each year? 

I want Moore to be the guy to have the major input on signing players, more so than DC & AC but we can have Moore just spending his summer identifying 40 odd players, speaking to 40 odd players to get the 10 players he needs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Old School said:

Colin Garlick?

Why do people keep saying Colin Garlick?

What he does in football is completely different to what a Director of Football or some kind of recruitment placement.

It's like saying the nurse that takes care of you in hospital should also carry out your operation

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

For me Martin Foyle would be a good head of recruitment and to be Carol's football advisor in the Boardroom.  Whoever is appointed needs to get on well with Darren Moore, be good at PR with supporters, offer good advice, but keep a low profile in team matters.

The perfect template was John Rudge in his time with that other team in partnership with Tony Pulis.  Rudgie is ideal where he is now so that role is not for him now.   There may be others, but so far Tin is the man for me.  Leon Legge has no experience beyond playing.  Neil Warnock, great manager, but not an advisor.

Nothing will happen until the season is over I feel.

Foyle ticks many boxes for me and I like your example of Rudge & Pulis.

You know that Foyle would be very low profile, will get on with his job in hand and already got a great relationship with the Vale fans.

I know Foyle, just like Rudgie did, is out watching all levels of football, all day long, every day of the week looking for players.

He also holds loads of respect throughout the football world

I also personally believe that we need to start planning for next season now, so, I expect someone to step into a "role" what ever that might be before the end of the season

• Like 2