onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Flitcroft gone

Bede

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

There's another interpretation of that letter which is that Carol was setting the stage for his dismissal/resignation, giving him some face to walk away with, which ever it was. Countless times a football owner has heaped praise on an employee and then administered the chop.

Given the situation It's the right ending as DF didn't do a good job in the most important task/goal in his job description, ie recruitment and over a period of time, ca 4 windows. Vale need a change, probably in the whole DoF/manager/recruitment process and it needs to be got right.

DF has gone, hopefully Carol will remain at the helm, there is no need for an immediate apology from Carol as I'm sure the story will come out over time, she's much more astute and savvy than the fans give her credit for.

Excellent counter view there 6754 👍👍👍, For me however, the letter coupled with her Delia Smith moment released to Social Media (wrongly in my view, but this is the world we now live in) don't add up to much "foresight" in my opinion.

I think there has been a lot of flying by the seat of their pants, and unfortunately for DF it seems he has lost his 

image.gif.05ad8e96f56f12ae2add2671e713afdc.gif

• Like 3

Advert

23 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Thanks to David Flitcroft for his part in steering us to promotion and building the structure of the club from where it was.  Beyond that we don’t as yet know if he walked or was pushed.  If he walked fair play to the guy for taking that decision, if not, Carol deserves our thanks for making what would’ve been a tough choice.

I’d certainly stick with the DoF model but the manager should always pick which players are to be recruited, the DoF can look after everything else outside of the first team.

Your full of <ovf censored> 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Santa said:

The DoF position still needs to exist. It just needs someone to do a better job at it.

The club's long term strategy on a number of different levels shouldn't get chucked in the bin because the guy in charge of it goes on a poor run of results as first team manager.

The days are gone of managers like Rudge working 80 hour weeks and spending the club's money like it was his own. Strategic recruitment and scouting is more data based and needs to entrusted to a group of people rather than just the whims of one person.

Bring back the good old days - Manager and assistant manager all you need, worked for shanks, Clough, Ferguson etc nuff said !!!!!

• Like 2

Football is so different these days compared to the days of John Rudge.

In Rudge's day, he would only sign 3 or 4 players every summer and release 3 or 4 players. He would then top up the squad with one or two loan players throughout the season when needed.

These day's, we basically go into every summer having a complete rebuild needing to sign 10 + new players and then maybe looking to sign 3 or 4 at least in January.

I think on that basis, we would need some kind of Director of Football / Head of Recruitment because I do want Moore having a massive say on who we sign but I don't think I want spending all his time & effort in signing 10 + players every season.

Also, to sign 10 players, how many other other players do you have to speak, how many hours of talks do you have to have to sign 10 players?

To sign 10 players do you end up speaking to 60 players if you get my meaning?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

David Flitcroft has done some good things for the club and contributed to promotion and bringing young players through more effectively. So the backroom of the playing side is much stronger and deeper. But the failures in recent transfer windows has left the club in deep relegation trouble. He has become a hugely unpopular figure at the club and in the entertainment / sport businesses that's unsustainable. So it's the right decision to move on and presumably with an amicable contractual settlement. 

54 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Football is so different these days compared to the days of John Rudge.

In Rudge's day, he would only sign 3 or 4 players every summer and release 3 or 4 players. He would then top up the squad with one or two loan players throughout the season when needed.

These day's, we basically go into every summer having a complete rebuild needing to sign 10 + new players and then maybe looking to sign 3 or 4 at least in January.

I think on that basis, we would need some kind of Director of Football / Head of Recruitment because I do want Moore having a massive say on who we sign but I don't think I want spending all his time & effort in signing 10 + players every season.

Also, to sign 10 players, how many other other players do you have to speak, how many hours of talks do you have to have to sign 10 players?

To sign 10 players do you end up speaking to 60 players if you get my meaning?

I agree, you sign 14 players for example, you probably end up speaking to twice that many at least just to get them. Many of the more successful teams tend to have a big rebuild at a certain point then small tweaks over the next five or so years. Vale have loved a huge turnover since Clarke's initial transfer window.

I too agree with you that letting Moore have a hand in appointing a DOF would be the wrong move based on the Stoke scenario. It needs to be someone who has a strong connection with the football club and not individuals, with good connections and experience of both management and recruitment. Martin Foyle's name has been mentioned and I wouldn't be averse to that.

How long will the Head of Recruitment Tommy Johnson last now Flitcroft has gone?

Edited by Granville
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoppers said:

Some things sting worse than others - for me it was not needed and a mere few weeks later he has departed, hardly covered in glory. - enjoy tomorrows breakfast GR 😍  

You’re right, but if that letter from Carol stings then you’ve gone soft.  I am looking forward to that breakfast.👍🏻

5 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Ray, whilst I agree with you, somewhat. I was told by a person who works at VP,that she was advised by everyone at the club not to make the statement because of the back lash but she made the decision to do it, going against others advice. 

I took it as a plea from the heart for fans to back her judgement, from someone feeling the pressure and no doubt overcome to a certain degree by emotion.  Probably one of those things that someone says in the heat of the moment and then in the cold light of day regretted.  Agree or disagree with the content, it really wasn’t as big a deal as many folk are making out.

• Like 3