onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 2 preparation

All of them can go apart from Conner, Ben,Chissy possibly ojo and maybe the Yak. I'd personally keep Uche,not that he will stay if he has any chance of going. Obviously keep all the acadamy lads. No doubt they will be sold for 15 to 50k ASAP

Advert

5 minutes ago, Bimbleabout said:

All of them can go apart from Conner, Ben,Chissy possibly ojo and maybe the Yak. I'd personally keep Uche,not that he will stay if he has any chance of going. Obviously keep all the acadamy lads. No doubt they will be sold for 15 to 50k ASAP

Be careful what you wish for; no guarantee that we would be able to assemble a squad that's any better than what we have. We are assessing our players based on how they have performed in L1, which is a big step up from L2. Others that you have failed to mention will do us a job in L2; add a sprinkling of decent signings and we may have enough to come straight back up. I am confident that DM will not allow another failed transfer window to happen.

• Like 2

Be careful what you wish for; no guarantee that we would be able to assemble a squad that's any better than what we have. We are assessing our players based on how they have performed in L1, which is a big step up from L2. Others that you have failed to mention will do us a job in L2; add a sprinkling of decent signings and we may have enough to come straight back up. I am confident that DM will not allow another failed transfer window to happen.
Yh of course and I hope so as we all do. Just fed up of seeing this lot week in week out now End of the day it's not their fault if collectively they ain't good enough for league 1.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyford_valiant said:

They’re 20 points clear with 9 games to play. I’m pretty confident they’ll be a league 2 next season. And a very good one at that. Tough league next season. As others have said I feel we will do well to stay around mid table. 

Add a couple of strikers to our current squad and we’d do well in that league I think, but of course our squad will break up so we’re starting afresh with all the unknowns that entails.

• Like 1

You'd say only Garrity and Chislett would likely be of massive interest to any club when we go down as they've scored 20 or so goals between them from midfield.  I couldn't blame them moving on tbh they've been 2 of the better players in a god awful side.  That would leave a midfield rebuild as well as everywhere else.  Ojo should be more than decent in league two but he's looked lazy and disinterested 1) since returning from injury and 2) since Crosby got the boot.  Before xmas he looked a very good player with Arblaster and Devine around him but does he want to be here anymore?  I'd like to think Walters will be with us, but appears to be a bit of contract rebel and perhaps as a result isn't getting a look in like the some of the other academy lads who've had more game time since that Wrexham game in the EFL Trophy.

Smith would personally be my first name on the released list, proved how dreadful a defender he's become costing us goals in the last 2 (key) home games, he seems more interested in shithousing that actually trying to defend? Get back to basics Nathan or sod off as you were(and could be again) a half decent league two level defender when you put your mind to it!

The academy lads aside, the rest I'm generally not fussed over, you'd imagine one or 2(Debrah, Iacoviti defence wise) could/should be at least half competent in league two and Debrah probably has a couple of years to run on his deal anyway. 

Jones and Loft ought to be paid up, dreadful footballers the pair of them and I'd honestly have Grant not far behind as well, coupled with his poor injury record!  Sang looks the archetypal utility player who is average to poor in 2 or 3 positions but will probably become a lower league journeyman throughout his career, useful as a squad player maybe?

Big rebuild certainly needed as the rot has clearly set in with a losing culture at the club!

• Like 2

Looking at it as a clean slate "Whats going to get us back" I would say:

James Wilson - 1 year deal - scored goals at that level is one I would look to keep who is out of contract.

Smith, Ojo (if he can be bothered), Garrity, Chislett, Ripley, Clark, Leutwiller, Debrah should be retained if possible, show some nuts and don't accept bids unless ridiculous for our key players.

Jones I worry about injuries otherwise hes a decent L2 player, Sang and Grant should be stand out at that level but I haven't seen enough battle to think they'd dig in at Harrogate on a January Tuesday night so probably let go.

Loft as forth choice in L2 maybe but he has lost the fan base already so would be a long way back for him.

Plant, Shorrock, Dipepa, possibly Lomax and Walters if he stays should benefit from a lower level and come on strong.

I'd be looking for left wing back and a more orthodox Right and left back option so we can actually be flexible. 2 strikers of a decent calibre in L2 level, a battling central midfielder and playmaker and a couple of wingers, along with 2 centre halves.

GK: Ripley/Leutwiller

RWB/RB: Mitch Clark, Lomax plus one

CB: Smith, Debrah, poss Jones plus 2 more

LWB/LB: Shorrock plus one

RW: 1 New

LW: Plant plus 1

CM: Garrity, Chislett, Ojo (if he can be bothered), Walters plus 2

CF: Wilson, Loft (maybe), Dipepa plus 2

Thats assuming we can keep hold of our better players and cant move Loft on.

It doesnt have to be another 5 year stint starting off with struggle like before but we have to get the summer spot on.

Wrexham, Stockport likely gone, Gills or MK potentially gone so it isn't going to be full of big budgets like now but we need to show some bounce back.

On 09/03/2024 at 19:34, ollyandpatch said:

With Flitcroft still pulling the strings let's just stay above the bottom 2.

Flitcroft Out.

I have no inside knowledge but i will be majorly surprised if DF is anywhere near bringing in a new squad in the summer

• Like 1

Darren Moore, the backbone of the team staying, no mistakes and shortcuts on the strikers and we look in decent shape, even with the deadwood that might cling on. Everyone who is out of contract can leave now, they have no future here and we should be playing Shorrock et al to get them ready for the bounce back. The bones are there, the budget will be competitive I’m sure. Only go to loans as a last resort, as having them recalled is a nightmare (reference Port Vale 23-24 season.)

1 minute ago, werstayinup said:

I have no inside knowledge but i will be majorly surprised if DF is anywhere near bringing in a new squad in the summer

The only way to get any trust back with the supporter base is for DF to be no where near Port Vale in any capacity.

• Like 4

It won’t shake out like this but we’re looking at something along these lines:

Vale

Cheltenham

Carlisle

Fleetwood

Crewe

Barrow

Gillingham

Wimbledon

walsall

morecambe

Crawley

Bradford

Newport

Harrogate

Notts county

Accy

Tranmere

Swindon

Doncaster

Salford

Grimsby

Colchester

Chesterfield

Barnet

That to me looks like an easier league than the one we got promoted out of. Some teams with bigger budgets, but if we can get ourselves out of the in-fighting, kamikaze downward spiral we have inflicted on ourselves with repeated mistakes and naivety, we should do well.

1 hour ago, Valient1961 said:

I hated Div 2 with a passion 😩😩 away following at V P atrocious, praying for a miracle 

They will still out sing the Vale fans..... it's a good job the acoustics are <ovf censored> in the Bycars........ oh hang on

• Like 1