onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

PVFC Meet delegation of fans regarding current concerns

26 minutes ago, lemus the great said:

Not being funny like but all the blame can't be laid at flickers door over the lack off strikers signed he has to work within the budget an the club needs to realize strikers come at a premium an won't come for 250 quid a week an half a dozen oatcakes 

Andy Jones did, so did Brian Horton.

• Thanks 1

Advert

22 hours ago, robf said:

In my opinion, that's a welcome move. I think the vast majority of fans are still very much behind the owners, it perhaps just needs an open and frank discussion like this just for all to get back on track with things like communication and so on. It's not going to solve the football issues, but a conversation never was, but it hopefully does start to reset the relationship between fans and owners. 

Sorry Rob but I totally disagree. That was a PR puff not a communication. A select few were invited, had smoke blown up their credulous bottoms and sent on their way to preach the great reset. It looks like no hard questions were asked such as the majority on this site would have asked, given the chance. Nothing has changed and it looks like nothing will. 

Waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Old School said:

Sorry Rob but I totally disagree. That was a PR puff not a communication. A select few were invited, had smoke blown up their credulous bottoms and sent on their way to preach the great reset. It looks like no hard questions were asked such as the majority on this site would have asked, given the chance. Nothing has changed and it looks like nothing will. 

Waste of time.

Have you read Bede’s post above?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bede said:

I wrote the following account yesterday but decided to sleep on it before posting.  I feel I must now clarify, given the responses since the release of the official statement.

OK, so to first explain how this has come about.  I am the co-founder of the Black & Gold Group, but also current sitting Secretary of the Supporters' Club.  The SC, B&G and NLV have all been interwoven for many years, simply because we are all Vale fans with the same ultimate aims.  We all offer differing viewpoints on things but remain active together to provide a widespread view on situations. B&G have remained active, albeit in the background, for many years, mainly as observers and researchers.  With my SC hat on, we have been increasingly frustrated with everything at the club, same as everyone else.  We therefore requested a committee meeting a couple of months or so ago with the inclusion of Matt Hancock, who has offered himself up to the SC as the conduit between us and the club.  The relationship between SC and club has drifted apart as we feel that the club have not wanted to engage with us, and it seems that they have hijacked events that the SC have traditionally held, on behalf of the fans.  We all feel that the club are trying to control everything.  This meeting was intense.  I'm not slow at coming forward with my views, and neither is Paul Dixon, and Matt got absolute pelters.  To his credit, he took it all very well.  Never argued, never complained, never flounced off or made excuses.  He took it all in.

Following that meeting, Mark Porter, Paul Dixon, and I have remained in constant contact with Matt, intensely pointing out the level of unrest amongst the fanbase.  He could quite easily cease communications with me because I have hardly been complimentary at times, but I have tried to reflect the level of anger, frustration, disappointment, and downright disengagement from the club.  Matt has actively sought to understand all of that.  We then held another meeting with Matt to delve a little deeper into the supporter discontent.  This then led to Matt setting up a meeting with Carol for him relay the mounting concerns to her, with her full attention.  It was then mutually agreed that a meeting should be held between us to face this head on.  During this period, other fans have also been voicing their concerns in their own ways to the club, so we therefore asked them to join in a collaborative effort.

Matt then gave us a list of dates that Carol would be available, and the meeting was set.  At no point were we given a time limit, a limit on numbers of members that could attend, or any actual pre-requisites at all.  All that was asked towards the date looming was a list of names of those attending.  The meeting was initially going to be between us and just Matt Hancock and Carol.  A couple of us then debated the merits of also requesting the attendance of Paddy.  We decided against it, but then as the meeting approached, we were told that Carol would like him to attend.  We ran it by our groups, and it was agreed that he should attend.

So, on Monday evening, we held a meeting between 7pm until just gone 10pm.  The burning topic, of course, was David Flitcroft.  My view remains that I cannot see his position anything other than untenable.  A sentiment held by all of us on our side of the table.  Let's not dress that up any other way. The overwhelming evidence of fans in the ground, fans in the pubs, fans on social media, forums such as this and radio phone-ins, is that very few have remaining faith in our Director of Football.  You must understand that, had we sat down and screamed that Flitcroft is a w***** and he needs to f*** off, a 3-hour meeting would not have lasted 3 minutes.  And we would also be doing a dis-service to the other points that needed addressing.

We went into the meeting well researched, with a formal agenda from which to raise our points.  After lots and lots of debate around the obvious, we then discussed the other topics; those being the communications coming out of the club, the problems with ticketing, the matchday supporter facilities and overall 'experience' and the potential for better fan engagement with the club going forward.  The club seemed surprised at some of the issues raised.  They did admit failings in communication, they also saw a different viewpoint on the other topics that they had not considered.  Above all else, they appeared genuinely shocked and saddened at what we were telling them, in terms of the overall disconnect between fans and club.

Now, we all know that admitting failure, and expressing shock and sadness at things is all well and good, but they need to let their actions do the talking.  We hope that they now understand that loud and clear.  It's over to them to deliver results.

So please let me make it abundantly clear.  We recognise that fans are not happy.  This season, we have seen fans fighting amongst themselves in the stands.  We have seen much anger directed at Flitcroft, at our players for abject performances.  We have seen growing complaints against the disparity of ground improvements.  We have an utterly unworkable relationship between the Supporters' Club and the club.  We have seen an alarming lack of respect shown to us fans by the club, not least by way of Carol's letter, David Flitcroft's Podcast, and the ignorance displayed towards our concerns at the last fans' forum.

We are taking those issues to the club because they all need to be fixed.  Do not think for one moment that we are easily pacified.  But we must be logical.  We cannot just rock up with a list of demands.  There will have to be compromise and understanding from both sides.  The first step in that healing process is to meet and hit the problems head on.  Monday's meeting was exactly that.  We don't have any answers, or results to report back on, from one solitary, intense meeting.  But it is the start of some much needed honest and frank dialogue.  How this pans out is yet to be decided. 

We've been in much worse states.  We have battled to remove two rogue owners in the last 13 or so years.  These owners are not rogue.  But it's fair to say they have misaligned their focus.  Please support us in regaining that.  And please understand our respect for the Shanahan family, despite all our current differences.

We've hopefully now opened doors and we look forward to the club holding much more open dialogue with the wider fanbase.

Thanks for that, both the write up and for trying to get us out of this horrendous situation. 

I know you can't come on here and disclose specific details of your conversations but do you get the sense that there is any appreciation (at the top) of our concerns re Flitcroft? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

Think this comes across as Smurthwaite-esque. Embarrassing. 

I don’t know if you are aware of  the backdrop but this has been rumbling since the end of last season.

At least the clubs has communicated WHY.

All we receive is WHAT. 

WHY  fundamental to successful communication and leadership. 

Edited by MBE

14 minutes ago, Emile said:

I think the majority of fans want to know what we discussed regarding DF. I'm sure that Carol won't have said he's getting sacked in the morning so don't worry, but was there any mention of accountability if we were to be relegated? Are they reviewing his work in the transfer windows in the last few months? Is there an understanding that some fans are prepared to give up their season tickets unless this person is removed from the club, and if so, are the club prepared to back DF and lose these fans in the process? 

Fans are looking for transparency and the statement released offers none of it. 

I would be very surprised if the recruitment process over the last 2 seasons is not reviewed, What changes will be made is a matter for conjecture, especially as we have a new manager in place. ST sales determine the player budget related to Fair Play rules. Up to the owners to decide based on their findings and the future situation, but some details will always remain confidential.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lemus the great said:

Not being funny like but all the blame can't be laid at flickers door over the lack off strikers signed he has to work within the budget an the club needs to realize strikers come at a premium an won't come for 250 quid a week an half a dozen oatcakes 

he's completed wasted the budget especially on the striker front.

The wages that he's agreed to pay Loft, Uche and Wilson per week could have easily been divided into bringing in 2 x quality strikers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Old School said:

Waste of time.

Once again, the club invited no one. Well-meaning fans chose who was going to attend.

I know that the people there would have asked extremely tough questions about DF and sometimes things don’t change overnight.

This thread is getting silly. Completely spurious, untrue allegations - just making stuff up.

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Emile said:

I think the majority of fans want to know what we discussed regarding DF. I'm sure that Carol won't have said he's getting sacked in the morning so don't worry, but was there any mention of accountability if we were to be relegated? Are they reviewing his work in the transfer windows in the last few months? Is there an understanding that some fans are prepared to give up their season tickets unless this person is removed from the club, and if so, are the club prepared to back DF and lose these fans in the process? 

Fans are looking for transparency and the statement released offers none of it. 

I would say that if you produced a word cloud of the meeting “accountability”‘ would be front and centre in large letters. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

MBE, thank you for posting this. I’m not sure as fans I would be wanting the club to give us this level of information. Also the information provided is just from one side, it could be considered divisive to try and win back the fans. How I see it our fan base is fragmented, there’s only one person that can heal that but that person treats the fans with discontent. Of course I don’t expect her to do what the fans request but to sit there and watch how last season unfolded and then the end of 2023 and to have not taken any action to resolve our fortunes is beyond me.

Yes I know it could probably  receive a mixed reception but at least stakeholders know why.

This is just the tip of the iceberg with Accrington.

Last month they released a fascinating release of accounts with a comprehensive breakdown along with a business plan to make up the shortfall of funding.

It really should be applauded for being so open. Perhaps the tone is a bit blunt but that’s Andy’s character.

Edited by MBE

34 minutes ago, Bede said:

I wrote the following account yesterday but decided to sleep on it before posting.  I feel I must now clarify, given the responses since the release of the official statement.

OK, so to first explain how this has come about.  I am the co-founder of the Black & Gold Group, but also current sitting Secretary of the Supporters' Club.  The SC, B&G and NLV have all been interwoven for many years, simply because we are all Vale fans with the same ultimate aims.  We all offer differing viewpoints on things but remain active together to provide a widespread view on situations. B&G have remained active, albeit in the background, for many years, mainly as observers and researchers.  With my SC hat on, we have been increasingly frustrated with everything at the club, same as everyone else.  We therefore requested a committee meeting a couple of months or so ago with the inclusion of Matt Hancock, who has offered himself up to the SC as the conduit between us and the club.  The relationship between SC and club has drifted apart as we feel that the club have not wanted to engage with us, and it seems that they have hijacked events that the SC have traditionally held, on behalf of the fans.  We all feel that the club are trying to control everything.  This meeting was intense.  I'm not slow at coming forward with my views, and neither is Paul Dixon, and Matt got absolute pelters.  To his credit, he took it all very well.  Never argued, never complained, never flounced off or made excuses.  He took it all in.

Following that meeting, Mark Porter, Paul Dixon, and I have remained in constant contact with Matt, intensely pointing out the level of unrest amongst the fanbase.  He could quite easily cease communications with me because I have hardly been complimentary at times, but I have tried to reflect the level of anger, frustration, disappointment, and downright disengagement from the club.  Matt has actively sought to understand all of that.  We then held another meeting with Matt to delve a little deeper into the supporter discontent.  This then led to Matt setting up a meeting with Carol for him relay the mounting concerns to her, with her full attention.  It was then mutually agreed that a meeting should be held between us to face this head on.  During this period, other fans have also been voicing their concerns in their own ways to the club, so we therefore asked them to join in a collaborative effort.

Matt then gave us a list of dates that Carol would be available, and the meeting was set.  At no point were we given a time limit, a limit on numbers of members that could attend, or any actual pre-requisites at all.  All that was asked towards the date looming was a list of names of those attending.  The meeting was initially going to be between us and just Matt Hancock and Carol.  A couple of us then debated the merits of also requesting the attendance of Paddy.  We decided against it, but then as the meeting approached, we were told that Carol would like him to attend.  We ran it by our groups, and it was agreed that he should attend.

So, on Monday evening, we held a meeting between 7pm until just gone 10pm.  The burning topic, of course, was David Flitcroft.  My view remains that I cannot see his position anything other than untenable.  A sentiment held by all of us on our side of the table.  Let's not dress that up any other way. The overwhelming evidence of fans in the ground, fans in the pubs, fans on social media, forums such as this and radio phone-ins, is that very few have remaining faith in our Director of Football.  You must understand that, had we sat down and screamed that Flitcroft is a w***** and he needs to f*** off, a 3-hour meeting would not have lasted 3 minutes.  And we would also be doing a dis-service to the other points that needed addressing.

We went into the meeting well researched, with a formal agenda from which to raise our points.  After lots and lots of debate around the obvious, we then discussed the other topics; those being the communications coming out of the club, the problems with ticketing, the matchday supporter facilities and overall 'experience' and the potential for better fan engagement with the club going forward.  The club seemed surprised at some of the issues raised.  They did admit failings in communication, they also saw a different viewpoint on the other topics that they had not considered.  Above all else, they appeared genuinely shocked and saddened at what we were telling them, in terms of the overall disconnect between fans and club.

Now, we all know that admitting failure, and expressing shock and sadness at things is all well and good, but they need to let their actions do the talking.  We hope that they now understand that loud and clear.  It's over to them to deliver results.

So please let me make it abundantly clear.  We recognise that fans are not happy.  This season, we have seen fans fighting amongst themselves in the stands.  We have seen much anger directed at Flitcroft, at our players for abject performances.  We have seen growing complaints against the disparity of ground improvements.  We have an utterly unworkable relationship between the Supporters' Club and the club.  We have seen an alarming lack of respect shown to us fans by the club, not least by way of Carol's letter, David Flitcroft's Podcast, and the ignorance displayed towards our concerns at the last fans' forum.

We are taking those issues to the club because they all need to be fixed.  Do not think for one moment that we are easily pacified.  But we must be logical.  We cannot just rock up with a list of demands.  There will have to be compromise and understanding from both sides.  The first step in that healing process is to meet and hit the problems head on.  Monday's meeting was exactly that.  We don't have any answers, or results to report back on, from one solitary, intense meeting.  But it is the start of some much needed honest and frank dialogue.  How this pans out is yet to be decided. 

We've been in much worse states.  We have battled to remove two rogue owners in the last 13 or so years.  These owners are not rogue.  But it's fair to say they have misaligned their focus.  Please support us in regaining that.  And please understand our respect for the Shanahan family, despite all our current differences.

We've hopefully now opened doors and we look forward to the club holding much more open dialogue with the wider fanbase.

It’s good to talk and I think an excellent initiative.

Thank you for the update. A good start although it cannot be expected that everything will be sorted at once.

We do have excellent owners now and I am sure they think they are trying to do the right things. Sometimes it doesn’t work as expected or hoped for. 
Hoping this is the start of a more open relationship with the supporters and a positive way forward. 

• Like 7

Thank you for the update, which has explained a lot of what the meeting was about, how it came about, who was there and why they came to be there and a summary of what was said to the club.
The only criticism I have, is that it would have been better if this statement had come out earlier. It would have saved a lot of unnecessary speculation and angst.
But again thanks for setting up the meeting. At least the club have now got an idea of the feelings of the fans.

Sent from my SM-A528B using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 3