onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shrewsbury (H) match thread - 9th March

Advert

1 minute ago, Brian Johnson said:

Thanks to @darren1810 finding the link for me, I had a listen last night.

It was a great 55 minutes with all of them.

It was interesting to hear Sproson say that for the past two years, when other clubs and players in League One look at the Vale squad, they always say that it's a bottom 6 squad.

That is clearly a bad perception and clearly indictive of how bad the recruitment's been over the past 2 seasons

Yes it was very interesting to hear both Sproson and Yates saying how the club sell themselves very well for loans but find it difficult with permanent signings.

Sproson said we are outgunned financially but if you look at our average wage we still pay around 12th highest in the league ( our overall budget is roughly 18th as we carry a relatively small squad according to capology)  so we really should be competing for that 2nd tier player in the league which we have not done. Perhaps thats perception problem or we are going after unrealistic top tier targets, maybe a bit of both?

https://www.capology.com/club/port-vale/salaries/

Good discussion though.

Have to win just like Cambridge did last season when they visited us. 

They won 2-0 and suddenly found confidence to escape the drop.

Not only will a win give us a chance to stop up it puts Shrewsbury right in the mix.

Cannot rely on the two games in hand as one is Posh away so we probably only have the one against Wycombe. WE HAVE TO WIN TODAY.

Flitcroft Out.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Thanks to @darren1810 finding the link for me, I had a listen last night.

It was a great 55 minutes with all of them.

It was interesting to hear Sproson say that for the past two years, when other clubs and players in League One look at the Vale squad, they always say that it's a bottom 6 squad.

That is clearly a bad perception and clearly indictive of how bad the recruitment's been over the past 2 seasons

No worries mate. Enjoyed it myself. 

I've often castigated people for going the ex-player route and obviously won't happen here now.

But can't help thinking Leggy would be an excellent coach or even future manager for someone. 

Doesn't suffer fools gladly and talks lots of sense in a calm fashion. Was excellent for us until his legs started going. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I've often castigated people for going the ex-player route and obviously won't happen here now.

But can't help thinking Leggy would be an excellent coach or even future manager for someone. 

Doesn't suffer fools gladly and talks lots of sense in a calm fashion. Was excellent for us until his legs started going. 

Absolute rock in his prime! Used to love watching him win 150 headers a game 

Edited by Vtid
  • Like 1

Team

Ripley

Mitch.   Kasper.   Yak.    Jones

Ojo (hope he's reclaimed his teddies from out of the pram)

Garrity

Chissy

Massey.      Loft.        Wilson

Expect: fight, we take game to Shrews and where possible players playing in their natural position.

Edited by Diego Maradona

29 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

He clearly would be a good defensive coach. Positionally rarely out of step unless he was done for pace. Knows how to attack and defend set pieces and talked the less experienced players through the game. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Team

Ripley

Mitch.   Kasper.   Yak.    Jones

Ojo (hope he's reclaimed his teddies from out of the pram)

Garrity

Chissy

Massey.      Loft.        Wilson

Expect: fight, we take game to Shrews and where possible players playing in their natural position.

Hope that's not a 4-1-1-1-3 you're suggesting there. Though its probably fair to what our midfield has looked like in past games tbf, easy to get past 😄 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Today is going to be a disaster. Fans up for it, goal conceded early, fans start booing. Floodgates open. It was all over months ago. We are <ovf censored>. No dressing it up, we are gone, down, screwed.

That’s the spirit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

With the exception of Ripley, Chislett and Smith (I'll get my tin hat on!), I'd chuck all the remaining names in a hat and draw x8 out! How many are fit? How many are bothered? How many are just not good enough?

2-1 Vale 😀