onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Fleetwood (H) match thread - 27th Feb

robf

Advert

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I’m not a huge fan of Ojo, but you have to factor in that he is playing when nowhere near match fit. Ditto Garrity. And probably Chislett.

Because we have so little quality in the squad, the better players have been run into the ground. It all comes back to recruitment.

The story of this season is that the two loan midfielders performed above and beyond. Coupled with Garrity’s goals and Ripley’s goalkeeping, we got to November in an unrealistic position.

The DoF got lucky, because these factors covered up the woeful inadequacy of the recruitment.

Then we get a couple of injuries, the two lads get recalled, and then we have the farce of January. Williams and Gore were sold to us as examples of the DoF’s acumen, then he panicked and we ended up with Mighten and no striker.

Im a fan of 35 years, and have been through the Bratt years, the mystery buyers, Norman and Ribeiro, but I have never been as disappointed in my club as I was during the second half last night.

It’s probably about context.

Carol came in all guns blazing, and raised my hopes, to the point where I thought she would drive Port Vale in a sustainable way, and they would become a club to be proud of. It worked for a while (Etihad, Swindon, Wembley, good young home-grown players etc etc).

But over the last 18 months, it has looked more and more like a vanity project. The community stuff is very laudable, but it seems to have become the main focus. Maybe the OBE is to blame..

Brilliant post.

Great summary of our season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Had the offer of free tickets for Stevenage v Cambridge last night but we gave our support via a tenner to the Vale and watched on iFollow. Agree Ojo looked disinterested/unfit or both and we called out his pulling out of tackles - if he plays Saturday (because we’ve got no one else) Derby will walk all over us in midfield, more so than Fleetwood did, and I fear a drubbing - expect there’ll be a reaction to last night’s defeat to Charlton. 

The overload on Sang (especially second half) was plain to see and we couldn’t understand why DM didn’t do more eg put Plant on earlier for Weir (his defensive game was/is poor) to give Sang some respite. Despite the excellent defending from Kacper and the Yak all night with the number of crosses raining in from Patterson the law of averages said one was bound to drop to one of their players at some point and it did on 88mins. Lucky to come away with a point the way we and they played second half.

We’re going Derby on Saturday, never been to the new ground and have a feeling it may be some time before we get chance to go again.

UTV

Sang is not a full back. He had no one in front of him for 90 minutes Didnt see it as much first half although all their attacks were down their left.

Half time , three changes and we get murdered. Not just Sang but all of us. Blame the players first and the D M.

We started with Chislett on right and its not his game to work back down the line, tackle and help Sang out but it was his job to do so. Poor defending from him.

Then along came Weir. He is poor. Can run when going forward but cannot run when he is needed to work hard. No tackles in him and after 60 he has nothing left. Could not run at all. He has hardly played all season. He didnt cover every blade of grass in first half either. Poor player no good to us and a waste of a signing.

Then we bring Plant on, playing on his favoured right. Am sure the pep talk would have been " get in front of Sang, give him support, stop them getting in crosses ". Well he stood there in front of Sand ....... and watched as they passed the ball through us from their half to our goal line. No tackles, no blocks hardly even a touch, he did nothing. Poor show when we had such hope from Plant coming on.

D M picks the formations, players etc and he failed us last night but he wasnt the only one.

Lowe, Ojo, Loft were shocking too and let us down big style.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I did 100 % 

I believe you, I’ve tried sarcasm on here before and it doesn’t transfer well to a written post. I am happy to accept he shirked one or two tackles and I am happy to change my mind as the evidence seems to be mounting with regard to his lack of tenacity. I saw Chis Lines do it once at Chesterfield away and I never forgave him despite his other talents. 
I’m not too proud to change my mind.

7 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Sang is not a full back. He had no one in front of him for 90 minutes Didnt see it as much first half although all their attacks were down their left.

Half time , three changes and we get murdered. Not just Sang but all of us. Blame the players first and the D M.

We started with Chislett on right and its not his game to work back down the line, tackle and help Sang out but it was his job to do so. Poor defending from him.

Then along came Weir. He is poor. Can run when going forward but cannot run when he is needed to work hard. No tackles in him and after 60 he has nothing left. Could not run at all. He has hardly played all season. He didnt cover every blade of grass in first half either. Poor player no good to us and a waste of a signing.

Then we bring Plant on, playing on his favoured right. Am sure the pep talk would have been " get in front of Sang, give him support, stop them getting in crosses ". Well he stood there in front of Sand ....... and watched as they passed the ball through us from their half to our goal line. No tackles, no blocks hardly even a touch, he did nothing. Poor show when we had such hope from Plant coming on.

D M picks the formations, players etc and he failed us last night but he wasnt the only one.

Lowe, Ojo, Loft were shocking too and let us down big style.

I thought Weir was our best player in that first half he did well at times & there’s definitely a good player in there but I agree tracking back just isn’t his game & he was shattered second half. Thought his work rate was decent first 45. Looks a confidence player a bit like Chislet he’s either in the game or he isn’t, never in between 

Edited by Vtid
  • Like 5

Can’t believe I’m saying this but my god are we missing big Uche! We were getting results just as he started to get upto speed & him & Wilson had formed a decent partnership. He occupies so many defenders with being such a nuisance it leaves massive spaces for the likes of Willo & Chislet to do their thing. He’s perfect for our attack minded players. We all know his footballing ability isn’t great & he won’t score many goals but he does have some really good assets that I feel we’re missing at the moment. I know we lost garrity & others to injury but our form has nosedived just as much if not more since he’s been in the treatment room

Edited by Vtid
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, Vtid said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but my god are we missing big Uche! We were getting results just as he started to get upto speed & him & Wilson had formed a decent partnership. He occupies so many defenders with being such a nuisance it leaves massive spaces for the likes of Willo & Chislet to do their thing. He’s perfect for our attack minded players. We all know his footballing ability isn’t great & he won’t score many goals but he does have some really good assets that I feel we’re missing at the moment. I know we lost garrity & others to injury but our form has nosedived just as much if not more since he’s been in the treatment room

Massey did a post match interview a few weeks ago and he was saying how much they love playing with big Uche because even without goals, he brings so much to the team by taking two or three defenders with him, creating the space for his team mates.

I absolutely love watching him - I wouldn't say he brings the x-factor, but certainly brings the ?-factor as no-one including himself has a clue what he is going to do - massive, massive loss to our team at present.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hoppers said:

Massey did a post match interview a few weeks ago and he was saying how much they love playing with big Uche because even without goals, he brings so much to the team by taking two or three defenders with him, creating the space for his team mates.

I absolutely love watching him - I wouldn't say he brings the x-factor, but certainly brings the ?-factor as no-one including himself has a clue what he is going to do - massive, massive loss to our team at present.

Hopefully he’s back sooner than expected, Garrity was supposed to be out until mid march & Ojo so looks like they’ve both returned earlier than first thought unless they’ve just been rushed back in because we’re desperate & so thin on numbers in midfield 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Vtid
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Old School said:

I would love to know if we dropped off and defended a 30 yard line in the second half as per instruction from Darren Moore, or was it just an unspoken but collective decision by the players. The answer matters as if it was on DM's instruction, it would obviously be the wrong decision,  he has seen enough of us now to know that we just cannot defend so it would be pointless. In the post match interview Darren said that he was disappointed at how we yielded the initiative, hinting that it was not by his instruction. 

If it was the players that consciously or unconsciously made the decision, why was Moore not on the touchline screaming for them to push up? 

Everyone, including the players must know that playing as we did second half would be football suicide, so why the heck do they keep doing it?

We have been dropping back into our own penalty area  since Rudgie's day! we used to joke back then that our players only trained for 70 minutes then Vanders had an appointment with a pint in The Crown!  Back then we could defend though.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2024 at 09:43, Sandyford_Lion said:

Agree entirely. Somehow have to come away from it bit it is difficult. 55 years of PVFC and it does play a massive part in your life. I feel let down completely. Not so much Carol. I believe she put all her faith in Flitcroft. She said she didnt have a clue and wow was she right.

Flitcroft and his recruitment team are useless and wow has he done Carol over good and proper. " I will tell you what you want to here "

Players, i know are poor and we never had the right players in for the last 3 transfer windows but i cannot accept their poor effort and no heart for PVFC and for ALL Carol has offered them and their families.

Sorry to read posts like this. Next year will be my 50th following Vale. It is in doubt. Very much agree with what Lion has said. Not sure what hurts me the most?

1) The club being led 'football-wise' by a clown who has failed miserably and who previously contributed to another club going out of business - DF

Are those that see this as a major flaw - 'wrong' to point out facts that appear to be ignored by Carol and the board?

2) We were all aboard the fantastic 'Community Club of the Year, had the darling of the media as our co-owner - HMS "P*ss this tin pot League", looked as though we were prospering on and off the field, only to see distance being placed between the fan base and owners, through what appear to be long-term 'pie-in-the -sky initiatives at the cost of basic requirements in terms of ticketing/ toilets/ access, general amenities AND THE TEAM?

Ridiculous, incompetent recruitment for two seasons apart from Ripley, Chislett and the fortunate loans of the exceptional Ollie Arblaster and a lesser degree Alfie Devine who was great also. NO STRIKER will be the 'ring' around Carol's neck for years to come.

For me, it's much more than that - but what I can say is the fact that from what appeared a 'dream ticket' owner base and jubilant promotion to boot, through their ignorance, complacency, wayward, totally out of touch decisions on and off the field, I now feel less attached to my beloved club than at any stage in my life. I have fought for this clubs survival in the past - nowI just feel "let them get on with it" - Without Me.

Edited by pete vale
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Debrah is awful mate. From his brainless sending off at Bristol Rovers to his continual slicing it into touch by the Paddock last night. 

A terrible footballer. Again brilliant recruitment from you know who.

Oh oh but he must be good Barnsley wanted him. Well lucky old Barnsley he's tripe. 

He is right footed and playing on the left so I'm not surprised he sliced a few under pressure so did smith and plant when they played on the wrong side. I think we have bigger issues than Debrah over on that side but his main job is to get rid and he did that for the most part its not his fault it comes straight back because we had zero presence up top and no bite in midfield especially when Lowe and loft came on. I think he is decent and will get better as he gains more experience. If we hadn't allowed 57 million balls to be hit into our box we would have won that game but you can't sit back and allow the opposition to hit balls into our box unopposed for an hour of any game and expect your central defenders to deal with everything that's simply not going to happen I don't care if we sign centre backs from Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man city they aren't going to stand up to that amount of pressure.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Vtid said:

Hopefully he’s back sooner than expected, Garrity was supposed to be out until mid march & Ojo so looks like they’ve both returned earlier than first thought unless they’ve just been rushed back in because we’re desperate & so thin on numbers in midfield 🤷‍♂️ 

He’s running on grass as Clark is used to say.

I don’t think he’s far away at all.

• Like 1

Just managed to look back at the highlights. Jesus christ.

The defending from Debra for their 1st is absolutely unbelievable, how does a "professional" footballer do that? It's every bit as bad as Smith's calamity against Lincoln.

We are a team that can't defend and can't attack.

We don't have a single player at the club that can comfortably complete 90mins of football, so unfit it's unreal.

We're fùcked.

• Like 4

• robf unfeatured this topic