onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reading (A) match thread - 20th Feb

geoff1

21 hours ago, WV said:

Sorry mustn’t have been you. The general consensus on here seemed to be that the system was down to DF and any new manager would have to play that system. DM looking likely to prove that to be the conjecture it is. (<ovf censored>) 

Not the “system” as in the formation, but the preferred style of play, as in possession based.  I think this was stated at one of the forums, and maybe more, along with being mentioned other interviews.  The idea being that the young kids are playing the same way as the first team so that there’s continuity right through all the age groups.  In addition, we can sell it to the Prem and Champ clubs when we’re touting for loans.

Edited by Guitar Ray
Typo
  • Like 1

Advert

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not the “system” as in the formation, but the preferred style of play, as in possession based.  I think this was stated at one of the forums, and maybe more, along with being mentioned other interviews.  The idea being that the young kids are playing the same way as the first team so that there’s continuity right through all the age groups.  In addition, we can sell it to it the Prem and Champ clubs when we’re touting for loans.

How is that being spun as a negative? 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

I have never, ever said that WV. You've got me mistaken, I'm afraid!

I think Flitcroft signs players to fit a 352, but I'm not of the belief he mandates a certain system is played. I don't think he involves himself on a game-by-game basis.

Sign players who are better than the ones we have ,simple 🙏 .bit radical I know 🙄🙄.

• Haha 1

On 18/02/2024 at 08:58, Bimbleabout said:

No real turn around for this for DM to train and organise. Maybe one day training on Monday. So not looking good tbh.
Training however isn't needed for commitment and aggression and the willingness to win and carry out the absolute basics required for any football match.
Cheltenham aren't are a team of mega paid world beaters. They just have desire, belief and can do the basics with good effect.
He needs to motivate and organise and get some fire and belief in them and quick. Or we are doomed.

on what youve seen, do you think he is capable of that? i dont.! 😒 

7 minutes ago, WV said:

How is that being spun as a negative? 

Because fans are, or were, fed up of too much of the possession based “tippy tappy” stuff and want us to play a blend of tippy tappy and hoof ball, which I think is where we are at the moment.  The honest truth is that if we were winning games then folk wouldn’t give a 💩…….but we’re not…..so they do.

• Like 3

Everything comes down to winning games of competitive football. Everything else is flim-flam.

Stevenage manage it. Northampton manage it. Orient manage it. Lincoln manage it. Reading have managed it recently. Cheltenham have managed it recently. There is absolutely zero reason for why we haven't done it to any consistent extent for over 12 months.

Start winning 1 game in every 3 and everything will seem much brighter.

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim vlf said:

we havent learned from our mistakes nearly all season  managers keep saying the will but sod all happens !!im on a flight to south africa tonight so will be watching it on i follow for my sins !! got me VALE top on already at man air !! UTFV

Safe journey mate ✈️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As unlikely as it might seem, a win tonight would be absolutely massive in shifting momentum:

• climb out of the relegation zone, pushing Charlton in and compounding the misery there as they haven't won in 15. A Jones meltdown becomes more likely. God Willing.
  • 1 point behind both Shrewsbury and Reading with 2 games in hand on both, who I think are just as likely to go down as us
  • 4 points from 15th ahead of 2 winnable home games in succession 
  • Garrity, Clark, Plant, and Gore all likely to be fit in the coming weeks
  • 16 points needed from 15 games, which is not difficult.

Would completely transform the feeling around the club if we can rob a narrow victory.

Of course, there's a long way to go and defeat tonight doesn't condemn us - but it could be really, really important.

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, JoeB2 said:

As unlikely as it might seem, a win tonight would be absolutely massive in shifting momentum:

• climb out of the relegation zone, pushing Charlton in and compounding the misery there as they haven't won in 15. A Jones meltdown becomes more likely. God Willing.
  • 1 point behind both Shrewsbury and Reading with 2 games in hand on both, who I think are just as likely to go down as us
  • 4 points from 15th ahead of 2 winnable home games in succession 
  • Garrity, Clark, Plant, and Gore all likely to be fit in the coming weeks
  • 16 points needed from 15 games, which is not difficult.

Would completely transform the feeling around the club if we can rob a narrow victory.

Of course, there's a long way to go and defeat tonight doesn't condemn us - but it could be really, really important.

Correct Joe, a win tonight would be massive, a boost to everyone and with two home games to come a real chance to put some daylight between us and the bottom four.

One point regarding your second bullet point - we would be 1 point behind Reading with 3 games in hand, not 2 😀

• Like 2

What I want to see tonight is us going to a back 4. I want us stop tappying it about for 8 minutes then launching in to Lofts head. He needs to play on the shoulder and get in behind. I don’t want to see Dipepa thrown into the lions den again. I don’t want Jason Lowe anywhere near the middle of the park. I want to see Ojo care and take the game by the scruff. And if Nathan Smith plays then tell him before hand to just do the basics because Franco Baresi he is not.

But most of all. Win lose or draw. I want every single one of them to leave everything out on the pitch and show the fans they are up for the fight because if they come out with the same shower of a showing that they did on Saturday, it will be a lot more than 3-0.

• Like 8