onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wycombe (H) match thread - 20th Jan

robf

Re the game being off. It was -7 and if the pitch has any moisture in it, it is frozen. Basically it will not thaw out, even though temps are good for tomorrow.

Undersoil heating did not save an NFL game last weekend, was a bit cooler I agree 😁, but we dont have that so not a shock.

Just hope the players know what a football is after last week and this.

Advert

Looks convenient for us to not play tomorrow with Uche leaving. 

Have to say though having walked around the ground today and the forecast for tonight it’s a sensible decision considering the away fans would have to leave 10ish so not practical to leave it chance.

3 minutes ago, ginginator said:

Re the game being off. It was -7 and if the pitch has any moisture in it, it is frozen. Basically it will not thaw out, even though temps are good for tomorrow.

Undersoil heating did not save an NFL game last weekend, was a bit cooler I agree 😁, but we dont have that so not a shock.

Just hope the players know what a football is after last week and this.

It wasn’t the pitch that was the problem for NFL. The state invoked emergency protocols and closed all the roads and couldn’t justify opening them just to allow the game to go ahead for safety.

28 minutes ago, Raveninblack said:

I am concerned about the club’s finances with Conlon going to Oldham and if it is confirmed about Ikpaezo  which I saw on bbc1 news

Why?  we paid Conlon when he was injured so he was not even playing so cost us money and Uche had a short contract anyway. 

Its not finances it is common sense re Tom, great lad and Uche is a hit or miss, letting him go, I think ok, he might bite me on the a..e. 

We could not build a team around Uche and Conlon. 

1 minute ago, MBE said:

It wasn’t the pitch that was the problem for NFL. The state invoked emergency protocols and closed all the roads and couldn’t justify opening them just to allow the game to go ahead for safety.

I stand corrected, I presume you are a Bills fan, good luck 

11 minutes ago, smithie said:

Amazing how Burton and Walsall, both barely 30 miles from Vale, have managed to get their games on tomorrow.

When the match v Morecambe was held up for 20 mins during lockdown and me living 3 miles away and not having the same intensity of snow who'd a thunk it

17 minutes ago, Gora Vale said:

When the match v Morecambe was held up for 20 mins during lockdown and me living 3 miles away and not having the same intensity of snow who'd a thunk it

I live midway between Burton and Walsall and as far as I'm aware the whole of this region has had the same cold snap but no snow. 

Are we to believe that Walsall and Burton have better covers than us? Burton are playing Charlton and the journey from SE London is far longer than Wycombe's. 

I'd be very surprised if Charlton haven't travelled this evening to stay overnight. 

Burton and Walsall are keener to play than we are.

15 minutes ago, smithie said:

I live midway between Burton and Walsall and as far as I'm aware the whole of this region has had the same cold snap but no snow. 

Are we to believe that Walsall and Burton have better covers than us? Burton are playing Charlton and the journey from SE London is far longer than Wycombe's. 

I'd be very surprised if Charlton haven't travelled this evening to stay overnight. 

if you say so

25 minutes ago, smithie said:

Thought a referee makes such decisions,  not a club?

10 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Thought a referee makes such decisions,  not a club?

They do, but I've seen enough of these premature postponements to suspect that the referees (who are usually local referees and not the actual match referee) can be influenced by the home club. 

Michael Brown managed to get a game v MK Dons postponed in similar circumstances. Last year the Morecambe manager hinted 3 days before the game it might be off and there was definitely something dodgy going on with that postponement. I went to the ground in person on the Friday lunchtime and was categorically told it was on. Three hours later it was called off despite the weather getting even milder. Surprise surprise Morecambe had several injuries.

3 hours ago, MBE said:

Looks convenient for us to not play tomorrow with Uche leaving. 

Have to say though having walked around the ground today and the forecast for tonight it’s a sensible decision considering the away fans would have to leave 10ish so not practical to leave it chance.

Uche is staying put 👍

Shame it's off. Temperatures get colder the higher you go. I've been to games when it's been raining in Middleport and snowing at my sister's house on High Lane. When it comes to water freezing one degree does make a big

Archived