onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Forgotten players from our past

Granville

The one I remember from a while back (mid 80s) was Billy Kellock. I saw his debut where he was amazing and scored twice. Then after four goals in next to no time, he got injured, fell out of favour and left. 

Advert

2 hours ago, Dr Delgado said:

I’m pleased you can remember him and as you say we had a lot of forgettable players at that time. I certainly remember Neil Griffiths, I think he had a bit of a powerful shot on him. 
Whilst I remember John Brodie, I can only remember his name, I was taken to Vale games from a very early age, definitely too young to remember who played well or who had a bad game. The names that I remember from those days are, Bob Mountford, Keith Leonard, Gary Dulson, Tony Lacey, Sammy Morgan and John Woodward. Whilst I say I can’t remember who played well or not I did believe for a time that we had a player called Alan bloody Boswell, I can’t remember any Vale goalkeeper prior to him.

Thanks for your memories.

Some good names there.  Bob Mountford never really moved his career on with us, shame he was a good player.  Keith Leonard, fabulous, he was the one who got away, he was on loan from Villa and did so well they recalled him.  Tony Lacey magnificent all round defender or midfield, exactly what we need right now.  Sammy Morgan a nightmare for opponents and really aggressive forward.  John Woodward had two magnificent seasons but tailed off in his third.  In his prime he was a smooth silky forward with an eye for goal.  Gary Dulson, least said soonest mended!

From 1975 - Geoff Morris - bearded winger from Shrewsbury (I think), and Gary Dulson, left back?

Derek Brownbill also did well in our cup run that ended at Villa Park - if memory serves, he scored against Burnley in the round before?

On 01/01/2024 at 18:00, Wrex said:

Lee Harwood never played a first-team game

Interesting one.  In the Peterborough programme from 1st November 1980, it said the following about Lee Harwood in their player profile section: "He was an ever present of the Vale side last season, and scored once".

I don't remember him being an ever present for the 79-80 season, so I checked my old programmes, and I can only see him playing in the latter part of the season - against Halifax Town on March 22nd 1980 and against Portsmouth on 1st April 1980.  He didn't feature in any game according to the Vale match programmes from August to December, so I don't know why they said he was "ever present".  I think he was injured for quite a while.  

But he did play for the Vale, albeit briefly.  

5 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

Interesting one.  In the Peterborough programme from 1st November 1980, it said the following about Lee Harwood in their player profile section: "He was an ever present of the Vale side last season, and scored once".

I don't remember him being an ever present for the 79-80 season, so I checked my old programmes, and I can only see him playing in the latter part of the season - against Halifax Town on March 22nd 1980 and against Portsmouth on 1st April 1980.  He didn't feature in any game according to the Vale match programmes from August to December, so I don't know why they said he was "ever present".  I think he was injured for quite a while.  

But he did play for the Vale, albeit briefly.  

There we go, poor fella had a bad knee injury 

7 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

Alan Lamb anybody from the 1976 - 77 season? Brian Sinclair from the 1978 - 79 season.  Chris Pearce in goal from a bit later.

One of my favourite ever aways as a spotty teen. Rochdale away 3-0 down. Vale fans chucking bangers at Pearce if my memory is correct. 

Think The Lardinel had already printed our defeat? 

Magnificent comeback and great memories albeit vague. 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

One of my favourite ever aways as a spotty teen. Rochdale away 3-0 down. Vale fans chucking bangers at Pearce if my memory is correct. 

Think The Lardinel had already printed our defeat? 

Magnificent comeback and great memories albeit vague. 

Only Vale fans would chuck bangers at their own goalie!  Good recall - it was 6th November 1982, and  Geoff Hunter, Ernie Moss and Jimmy Greenhoff scored as we nicked a point.

2 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Only Vale fans would chuck bangers at their own goalie!  Good recall - it was 6th November 1982, and  Geoff Hunter, Ernie Moss and Jimmy Greenhoff scored as we nicked a point.

...although Wiki says our goalies were a couple of slackers called Barry Siddall and Neville Southall that season, so maybe we're mixing up the seasons?  The date and the score fit, but not Chris Pearce....

5 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

No Pearce was in goal for Rochdale that day. We signed him from them. 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

No Pearce was in goal for Rochdale that day. We signed him from them. 

Ah, right - didn't know that.  That explains the bangers - these days the club would be hauled over the coals for that, and it would be on the TV news!  

One of my old favourites was Bill Bentley. Bill got a bit of stick at first coming from Stoke, but soon won over the fans with his "robust" challenges. I remember being at Darlington and Bill was having a running battle with one of their players, I can't remember his name but he was a snide so and so, winding Bill up to boiling point. Not a good idea. Bill finally lost it completely and just went for the player, who realising that he had gone too far legged it away from Bill as fast as he could. Bill was chasing the guy all around the pitch, several times going right by the ref who was looking on in total bemusement. After the match one of my old mates (Dave "Mosser" Morris) who was with us at the match, ended up rolling around on the floor wrestling (and losing) with a police dog. Mosser was, after the police had had a good laugh watching him get savaged, arrested and carted off to the nick. 

Funny thing is that I cannot remember the score, although I would imagine we had lost and that was what sparked Mossers altercation with K9. 

Archived