onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crosby is Out NOW !!!

ollyandpatch

Advert

10 hours ago, LancyTony said:

You may not have used those exact words, but you inferred something like that. Whichever - you were wrong! Liverpool were never as successful as when they appointed managerial positions from those already within the club. Paisley and Fagan, particularly, and Dalglish, first as player-manager. Benitez joined from Valencia

You were making a point that Liverpool promote within for their manager. I proved you wrong that they have not promoted within for 30 odd years and go through a proper search process. Its you that is totally wrong on it.

Upside.

We go into the New Year mid table probably needing less than a point a game to stay up.

We have suddenly started playing the ball out from Ripley a lot quicker and goal kicks are being aimed at a target man rather than short passes to defenders

Home games have suddenly become full of goals and entertaining.

without a shadow of doubt the Manager has the support of his players. To come back from being a goal down three times yesterday shows superb resilience.

Uche causing real problems for defenders and has broken his duck (cant help but love a player with his passion and commitment)

Gavin Massey showing MOTM performances.

Really entertaining games of football are back at Vale Park.

James Wilson (absolute class)

A successful Academy

Downside

An injury list that is into double figures.

Garrity 'long term injury'

Arblaster injured and gone.

4th division defending at the back

An inability to beat teams on a bad run. 

An inability to see a game out (poor game management)

It's still Crosby in for me. Pluses outweigh the minuses. (Although I wasn't saying that yesterday when they scored their third !!) 

57 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Upside.

We go into the New Year mid table probably needing less than a point a game to stay up.

We have suddenly started playing the ball out from Ripley a lot quicker and goal kicks are being aimed at a target man rather than short passes to defenders

Home games have suddenly become full of goals and entertaining.

without a shadow of doubt the Manager has the support of his players. To come back from being a goal down three times yesterday shows superb resilience.

Uche causing real problems for defenders and has broken his duck (cant help but love a player with his passion and commitment)

Gavin Massey showing MOTM performances.

Really entertaining games of football are back at Vale Park.

James Wilson (absolute class)

A successful Academy

Downside

An injury list that is into double figures.

Garrity 'long term injury'

Arblaster injured and gone.

4th division defending at the back

An inability to beat teams on a bad run. 

An inability to see a game out (poor game management)

It's still Crosby in for me. Pluses outweigh the minuses. (Although I wasn't saying that yesterday when they scored their third !!) 

Agree broadly what you say , 60-40 for Crosby to stay . The January window could be crucial though .

He said after the game yesterday there was a clear "3 window plan" when he got the job in the summer, to get them to where they want to be.

With that said I'd expect us to be making some very shrewd signings in January & into next summer. Sounds like we want to be in a position to be able to really push on next season.

Next 2 x transfer windows will dictate our trajectory over the next couple of years for me. We've got some decent players signed up for next season, including Garrity, Chislett, Ojo & Ripley. If we can keep hold of those players & add a really decent CB & striker to that spine of the side, we'll be in a pretty strong place moving forwards.

I think last summer was all about sorting the GK, which we did. Next summer I'd expect it to be the striker we're crying out for. Let's see if we can get a couple of quality additions in this month to stabilise, before pushing on over the summer window.

14th in the table, we may look mid-table but lose at Reading and regardless of how other results go, we will be 4 points above the bottom 4 and looking over our shoulders.  Whoever the manager is and despite me still being in the Crosby out camp, he has to have reinforcements in the January window, we simply can't afford to be like we were in last years window.  Looking at the league, I believe you are going to need more points than usual to stay up, teams like Cheltenham and Exeter have picked up massively and yes admittedly our home performances have improved in the last 4 games, we have started to score goals and play far quicker, just hope we do that away from home.  We can't afford any run like we had from late September to December or we would be down.

If I were to judge my feelings towards the club on league position alone then there is little doubt that we are doing alright, not brilliant, just alright. It is clear that there is a universal ethos through the club with regard to our playing style, whilst this has not been widely welcomed by a section of our fan base I think there has been some benefits. I think our intended style of play mirrors that of a lot of premiership teams, thus allowing our DOF to sell the club to potential loan targets, I genuinely believe that our playing style has secured the loan deals for the likes of Devine and Arblaster. Unfortunately because we are not a premiership team we have not been able to carry it off on a number of occasions this season, inevitably this has caused anger amongst the fans.

The whole reason for me being a Vale fan, (apart from my Dad telling me what I was), is to be partisan, to call out for a penalty even though I know it was a dive, to scream for an opposition player to be sent off and to go mental when we score. For some reason my passions have never run to calling any Vale player crap or useless or calling for the manager's head, this doesn't mean I haven't thought it. Take Ryan Loft for instance, every time he goes out on to the pitch I am willing for him to do well, I'd love him to score a winner. I can't help but think that some fans want him to be useless just to give themselves something to moan about, they need a constant target, Massey has suffered along similar lines. After watching us lose to Carlisle on New Years day I was shouting and swearing, punching the settee, if Crosby had walked into the living room there and then I think I might have given him a real mouthful but this is in the heat of the moment. Some people with the benefit of hindsight and thinking time still come out with vitriol I don't understand towards the club and towards Andy Crosby in particular.

I think Crosby is a decent, clever bloke, he may not have the passion of Clarke, the guile of Rudge or the pedigree of Horton but there is a lot worse out there and we have suffered much worse and I don't need to name them. For the league position we are in and the potential we possess I am firmly in the "give him his chance" camp. An odd Blackpool type game here and there and even the odd game like yesterday will keep me happy for this season, as long as we make steady progress along the way.

Has it ever been easy being a Vale fan ?

P.S ... with hindsight and thinking time I was vociferous and vitriolic towards the nefarious Smurthwtwat.

19 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

If I were to judge my feelings towards the club on league position alone then there is little doubt that we are doing alright, not brilliant, just alright. It is clear that there is a universal ethos through the club with regard to our playing style, whilst this has not been widely welcomed by a section of our fan base I think there has been some benefits. I think our intended style of play mirrors that of a lot of premiership teams, thus allowing our DOF to sell the club to potential loan targets, I genuinely believe that our playing style has secured the loan deals for the likes of Devine and Arblaster. Unfortunately because we are not a premiership team we have not been able to carry it off on a number of occasions this season, inevitably this has caused anger amongst the fans.

The whole reason for me being a Vale fan, (apart from my Dad telling me what I was), is to be partisan, to call out for a penalty even though I know it was a dive, to scream for an opposition player to be sent off and to go mental when we score. For some reason my passions have never run to calling any Vale player crap or useless or calling for the manager's head, this doesn't mean I haven't thought it. Take Ryan Loft for instance, every time he goes out on to the pitch I am willing for him to do well, I'd love him to score a winner. I can't help but think that some fans want him to be useless just to give themselves something to moan about, they need a constant target, Massey has suffered along similar lines. After watching us lose to Carlisle on New Years day I was shouting and swearing, punching the settee, if Crosby had walked into the living room there and then I think I might have given him a real mouthful but this is in the heat of the moment. Some people with the benefit of hindsight and thinking time still come out with vitriol I don't understand towards the club and towards Andy Crosby in particular.

I think Crosby is a decent, clever bloke, he may not have the passion of Clarke, the guile of Rudge or the pedigree of Horton but there is a lot worse out there and we have suffered much worse and I don't need to name them. For the league position we are in and the potential we possess I am firmly in the "give him his chance" camp. An odd Blackpool type game here and there and even the odd game like yesterday will keep me happy for this season, as long as we make steady progress along the way.

P.S ... with hindsight and thinking time I was vociferous and vitriolic towards the nefarious Smurthwtwat.

What progress have we made this season as of yet though? We're still awful at the back and still don't have a striker that scores goals, same as last. The only slight positive this season over last is that we were able to bring in some better loanees in Arblaster and Devine. All I see is a side sent out most weeks to play in a way they're not capable of.

1 minute ago, Valiiant said:

What progress have we made this season as of yet though? We're still awful at the back and still don't have a striker that scores goals, same as last. The only slight positive this season over last is that we were able to bring in some better loanees in Arblaster and Devine. All I see is a side sent out most weeks to play in a way they're not capable of.

If we weren't capable of playing this way we would be bottom of the league not 14th. It may be a case of two steps forward and one back.

Forgive me if I have misconstrued you but you appear very drawn to any negatives associated with the club. I apologise if I have missed some of your positive postings.

Yet if your just simply a supporter, thru thick and thin, you get called a 'happy clapper' which is detrimental and disrespectful. No doubt the people that throw it about use words like 'woke' or 'snowflake'.
Also remember, the minority also have the loudest voice, no matter what the subject matter, as they don't understand the basics of debate and compassion and understanding towards others. That's why they relentlessly attempt to force and drum their pov on others.
I'm proud to be a valiant, proud of the lads yesterday for showing great spirit, and proud of the gaffer for not giving up and getting us scoring and especially for being peed off with them defensively yesterday
KTF UTV

1 minute ago, Bimbleabout said:

Yet if your just simply a supporter, thru thick and thin, you get called a 'happy clapper' which is detrimental and disrespectful. No doubt the people that throw it about use words like 'woke' or 'snowflake'.
Also remember, the minority also have the loudest voice, no matter what the subject matter, as they don't understand the basics of debate and compassion and understanding towards others. That's why they relentlessly attempt to force and drum their pov on others.
I'm proud to be a valiant, proud of the lads yesterday for showing great spirit, and proud of the gaffer for not giving up and getting us scoring and especially for being peed off with them defensively yesterday emoji849.pngemoji12.pngemoji23.png
KTF UTV emoji123.png

Couldn't agree more, I have posted on here before that I think some people are just short of a little cuddle.

1 hour ago, Dr Delgado said:

If we weren't capable of playing this way we would be bottom of the league not 14th. It may be a case of two steps forward and one back.

Forgive me if I have misconstrued you but you appear very drawn to any negatives associated with the club. I apologise if I have missed some of your positive postings.

I just don't bury my head in sand and pretend that everything is sure to work out. I call things how I see it, be it praise or criticism. While there's no disaster happening at the club, or even close, there's certainly a lot of things that need improving and questioning.

30 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

I just don't bury my head in sand and pretend that everything is sure to work out. I call things how I see it, be it praise or criticism. While there's no disaster happening at the club, or even close, there's certainly a lot of things that need improving and questioning.

Genuine questions, as I have to say I think a lot of your posts are overly negative,

What do you think the club are doing well at the moment?

What is your realistic expectation for us to achieve this season?

8 minutes ago, Granville said:

Genuine questions, as I have to say I think a lot of your posts are overly negative,

What do you think the club are doing well at the moment?

What is your realistic expectation for us to achieve this season?

The league position is acceptable. Outside of that I can't say we're doing anything particularly well. Because we have a manager I don't think was the best choice originally and a DoF I have little faith in. Carol makes those big decisions so I don't think everything she touches turns to gold as some seem to either. We're doing okay in the league but for most of the season we've been playing boring football that doesn't suit the level of our players. Now we're playing more direct we are looking much better for it and scoring goals. It took Crosby far too long to realise this.

Realistically, I hoped for mid-table. If we finished where we are right now they wouldn't be good, wouldn't be bad. But I'm more concerned with how poor we often are at both ends if the pitch, especially at the back where I think we are rubbish whoever Crosby selects as the back three.

43 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

The league position is acceptable. Outside of that I can't say we're doing anything particularly well. Because we have a manager I don't think was the best choice originally and a DoF I have little faith in. Carol makes those big decisions so I don't think everything she touches turns to gold as some seem to either. We're doing okay in the league but for most of the season we've been playing boring football that doesn't suit the level of our players. Now we're playing more direct we are looking much better for it and scoring goals. It took Crosby far too long to realise this.

Realistically, I hoped for mid-table. If we finished where we are right now they wouldn't be good, wouldn't be bad. But I'm more concerned with how poor we often are at both ends if the pitch, especially at the back where I think we are rubbish whoever Crosby selects as the back three.

Aside from keeping DC, which appears not to have been an option, Crosby may actually have been the best choice in the circumstances, who knows?   At least he knew the set up, existing players etc, and no doubt had the trust of the owners and DoF.  Appointing him agave us some continuity which was possibly beneficial when we were approaching players at the back end of last season. Either way it would’ve been a  gamble, stick with DC, employ a new manager or appoint from within, so you could argue that the club took the least risk option.  Some would say the cheap option but that would probably have been keeping DC on and managing to stay up.

Nobody is saying Carol gets everything right so no idea where you’ve dreamt that one up.  The general consensus is that she certainly gets more right than wrong which history illustrates is true.

To say we’ve been playing boring football all season is basically BS if you’ve been to more than a handful of games and don’t have problems with memory loss.  The biggest criticism overall being that in some games we were guilty of overplaying at times and too often lacked a cutting edge.  Fans were saying the football was great, we needed a striker, a “fox in the box”.  The biggest issue all season is that we’re prone to making too many elementary mistakes, which is down to the players ability rather than anything Crosby is preaching from the touchline, or coaching into them.  Unfortunately, as you highlight, this has manifested itself in his choice at the back, where we’re unable to field a settled back line due to combination of injury and individual errors forcing the manager to chop and change.

One last thing I’ll add is that folk will say it’s better now we’re going more direct, we’re scoring goals, blah blah blah, but I guarantee if we lose playing this way they’ll cry out it’s “hoof ball” and we should stop going long and pass it around a bit more.

Archived