onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Context

Bobnewtonian

36 minutes ago, Bobnewtonian said:

I feel neither apathy or disillusionment.

i didn’t cherry pick clubs I deliberately picked clubs who were promoted at the same time as us as I felt they were a fair comparison. Hence the title of the thread was context.

I m suprised you ve been going 50 years and think this is the worst football you ve seen… amazed actually.

No idea why you say we had 3 shots in the last 2 away games… unless it suits your agenda. I m sure the actual number of  shots would be around 15 at a guess but I m sure someone will check.

UTV. Enjoy the game.

Didn't say worst football. I remember hideous teams late 70's and also in the 80's.

It's possibly the most disengaged I've felt. Maybe it's an age thing as I used to go Sunderland and Brighton away on a Tuesday night. Now I struggle get from Porthill to Burslem on a Saturday.  More out of duty than actually wanting to go. 

We had 5 shots on target in the 2 games I mentioned so 40% conversion rate isn't bad. Both opposition were in dire form too. 

• Like 5

Advert

11 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

He's not said its the worst football that he's seen

You re right he didn’t but he did intimate that the dross he was seeing now compared to his 50 years of watching the vale was putting him off attending games …. And I m frankly amazed at that. Mind you he also said we d had 3 shots in our last two away games so maybe he s having a rough Christmas !

My post compared us to teams who were promoted around the same time as us which I think is a fair comparison and shows that we aren’t as badly off as many on here would portray.

anyway 3 points today would be nice else I will lead the protest march round Burslem!!

utv

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Another shropshire valiant said:

Fair post "Bobnewton" Oxford and Stevenage are punching above there weight at the moment, just as we were in the 90's, most clubs at our level ebb and flow but when you look at average attendances things, things pretty much level out, the teams with the bigger budgets are at the top.

I think unfortunately clubs like Stevenage probably have more money these days. Their new stand was entirely funded, all 1.5 million of it, by donations from fans through bond investments. Our fans don’t even have enough brass to fund a statue for Rudgie and the poor bloke has even had to give the money from his book to get it built. A bit ridiculous really. I can’t think of any other club legend of any other club who would have to pay for his own statue! 

Stevenage also get loads of sponsorship from local businesses. Looking at their ground during the FA cup game, they have loads of local sponsors we could only dream of. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Didn't say worst football. I remember hideous teams late 70's and also in the 80's.

It's possibly the most disengaged I've felt. Maybe it's an age thing as I used to go Sunderland and Brighton away on a Tuesday night. Now I struggle get from Porthill to Burslem on a Saturday.  More out of duty than actually wanting to go. 

We had 5 shots on target in the 2 games I mentioned so 40% conversion rate isn't bad. Both opposition were in dire form too. 

You never mentioned shots on target though pal you just said shots cus it added weight to your argument.

anyway if you feel that bad don’t go life’s too short.

i m just having a bacon butty then meeting my mate for a couple of pints can’t wait… may think differently come half time of course 😂

utv

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobnewtonian said:

Andy Crosby will go the way of all Port Vale managers and part company with the club at some point. But how that happens is as of yet unknown despite the rantings of a few on  here who seem to have some strange urge  to make things as difficult as possible for him and in some ways for other supporters such as me who actually like and look forward to going to the games.

We are mid table in 1 having reached a quarter final of the league cup with our top scorer and best midfielder both having recently signed extended contracts, due in no small part to the manager. We have attracted better youngsters from premier league teams than ever before, the money on the pitch looks to have worked as by now it would normally be cutting up, we are actually selling talented youngsters to premiership teams and have young players of our own on the verge of the 1st team. We are trying to change the way we play into a more possession based game so that we can attract better players and the foundation / youth set up is better than ever.

Of course it doesn't mean we are 100% happy with our club as supporters we should always try and drive it forwards with support but basically if you are that unhappy with the club in its current state you need to find yourself a new hobby and not bother going ...  from an overall picture point of view the club is better placed than I can remember. And I've been going since 1971 and my dad and grandad before me.

But instead of waffling on lets give it some context. 

Of the clubs who came up with us:

Forest Green (smaller than us) relegated and struggling in league 2

Exeter (about the same size club as us) below us in the league

Bristol Rovers (Larger club than us) : 2 points above us in the league.

None of the above suggests to me that we are as bad as people on here are raving on about.

We can also look at a couple of play off winners who came up the same route as us in the season before and season after us.

Carlisle : (about the same size club as us) below us in  the league

Morecambe (smaller club than us) : now back in league 2

Each to their own but I think the weaker minded people think its somehow clever to swear and run down their own club.

As I've said before we will end up with the team the supporters deserve.

UTV and here's a novelty : enjoy the game.

An excellent, well-thought out post contextualizing where we are, now. Clearly, though, this will be pulled to pieces by those with some kind of agenda against AC and DF...you only have to see the usual suspects who are, apparently, confused by commonsense and logical thinking to know who will be attacking this post?

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

I’d say we are a bigger club than Carlisle and similar size to Bristol Rovers.  I’d also say we are as big a club as Oxford who are 5th, bigger than Stevenage who are 6th, bigger than Lincoln who are 9th and Northampton in 10th, bigger than Cambridge and Shrewsbury (13th &14th).

Saying that, I don’t disagree with what you are saying, Crosby is doing OK- I like his style of play bar the fact we have not got a decent striker- on the flip side, he is tactically useless, with his one style of play and his consistency of making us worse with his substitutions, his determination to play Massey who is hopeless and to play players out of position to accommodate him, his tinkering of our defence and constant playing players out of position, plus he needs to give up on Loft.

As a club we won’t particularly progress under Crosby but he will most likely keep us up this season which with our signings is an achievement in itself- he ain’t great but he is no way near as bad would make out and to get rid at this current stage of the season and to trust Flitcroft with a better replacement would be a massive gamble and a costly one as we are not going up and very unlikely to go down.

What an odd response? Recent history would suggest that Lincoln and Oxford are bigger clubs than us?

You "like his style of play...but he is tactically useless with his one style of play!"? In fact, one poster recently swatted away a post like yours with "he changed the formation 3 times in one game"!

"His determination to play Massey who is hopeless..." yet, many have remarked that he has upped his game this year, and they can see the player we thought we were getting? "He needs to give up on Loft"?...again, nonsensical by Loft's obvious improvement in recent games. 

"we won't particularly progress under Crosby..." Well - let's see how the second half of the season goes before you can make that sweeping statement?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bobnewtonian said:

...It’s a saying used by many pro s in the game…. Constant running down of the club and foul mouthed chanting will deter families from attending and increasing our supporter base so we aren’t  covering ourselves in glory are we from a supporter point of view. 

utv

No - we are not!

6 hours ago, Bobnewtonian said:

Andy Crosby will go the way of all Port Vale managers and part company with the club at some point. But how that happens is as of yet unknown despite the rantings of a few on  here who seem to have some strange urge  to make things as difficult as possible for him and in some ways for other supporters such as me who actually like and look forward to going to the games.

We are mid table in 1 having reached a quarter final of the league cup with our top scorer and best midfielder both having recently signed extended contracts, due in no small part to the manager. We have attracted better youngsters from premier league teams than ever before, the money on the pitch looks to have worked as by now it would normally be cutting up, we are actually selling talented youngsters to premiership teams and have young players of our own on the verge of the 1st team. We are trying to change the way we play into a more possession based game so that we can attract better players and the foundation / youth set up is better than ever.

Of course it doesn't mean we are 100% happy with our club as supporters we should always try and drive it forwards with support but basically if you are that unhappy with the club in its current state you need to find yourself a new hobby and not bother going ...  from an overall picture point of view the club is better placed than I can remember. And I've been going since 1971 and my dad and grandad before me.

None of the above suggests to me that we are as bad as people on here are raving on about.

We can also look at a couple of play off winners who came up the same route as us in the season before and season after us.

Each to their own but I think the weaker minded people think its somehow clever to swear and run down their own club.

Are you currently happy with the game? I have never read such twaddle in all my life.

5 hours ago, Bobnewtonian said:

You never mentioned shots on target though pal you just said shots cus it added weight to your argument.

anyway if you feel that bad don’t go life’s too short.

i m just having a bacon butty then meeting my mate for a couple of pints can’t wait… may think differently come half time of course 😂

utv

Your name tells me bits about you and your age.

Mr Newton a whole hearted Vale legend after barely a season. He'd cringe watching the half arsed efforts from our joke forwards Loft and Uche.

An indictment of recruitment is that Wilson is our best forward. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobnewtonian said:

You ve kind of answered your own question though…. The number of fans through the gate dictates a large portion of the budget… 2000 for an fa cup replay and 10000 for a league cup semi final is pretty pathetic really. 
It’s a saying used by many pro s in the game…. Constant running down of the club and foul mouthed chanting will deter families from attending and increasing our supporter base so we aren’t  covering ourselves in glory are we from a supporter point of view. 

utv

Ask yourself why only 2k bothered to turn up for FACUP. That’s not even half of our season ticket holders. That’s the question Carol needs to be asking,

Boring football deters supporters , doesn’t matter which league that is.

Not creating good chances, no player with a crunching tackles, no player to dribble and try take the opposition  player on, managers negative tactics. 

8 hours ago, Bobnewtonian said:

Well said, I have trust that Carol will make the right decision at the right time.

I just wish Crosby would vary his tactics sometimes, go 4 at the back or something different..

I don't see what booing the players on the pitch achieves and as for some posters on OVF who constantly moan about the Vale, Is bugger spelt with two g's and off with two f's.

5 hours ago, Bobnewtonian said:

You re right he didn’t but he did intimate that the dross he was seeing now compared to his 50 years of watching the vale was putting him off attending games …. And I m frankly amazed at that. Mind you he also said we d had 3 shots in our last two away games so maybe he s having a rough Christmas !

My post compared us to teams who were promoted around the same time as us which I think is a fair comparison and shows that we aren’t as badly off as many on here would portray.

anyway 3 points today would be nice else I will lead the protest march round Burslem!!

utv

From the original post the only comparable club is Bristol Rovers.

FGR sold half of the team after promotion losing star players like Kane Wilson and Nicky Cadden plus the manager. 

Exeter are a fan owned club relying heavily on the academy to keep them afloat. 

Rovers kept the squad together and have invested like us. Both of us sacked a manager since getting promoted.