onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

To me tomoz night got to be the biggest cup  game since 1954 .

It should sell out 3 times over in my humble opinion .

The fact it hasn't is quite disappointing really if honest .

It's a night where we all give our best in our support for the black and whites .

We were terrific generally on sat so all I can say to the players is same again,drive forwards,show intent ,enjoy yourselves. 

UTV 

Advert

Potentially it has to be the biggest 'home' cup game for us ever as the 2 rounds before the semi in 1954 were away at Brisbane Road and Ninian Park(Orient and Cardiff).
But you are forgetting the 5th round, the only home draw of the 6 rounds. Blackpool the Cup holders with Matthews playing against his boyhood club. First full Vale Park, 42,000, Although 2-0 up, we were nervous. Blackpool had come back from 3-1 down in the final against Bolton to win 4-3 in the last minute.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 1

True, I think it was mentioned in a previous thread, its certainly a good one to debate whether it is or isn't our biggest cup game. Aren't we the only side to beat the holders in the FA Cup twice(as a none top flight side at least?).  Everton in 1996 being the other occasion.

It's interesting if you take the games we had to get to the semi final in 1954 and mentioned the teams to people today they don't sound particularly big giantkillings but I think at least 2 of Blackpool, Cardiff and Orient were in the top division in 1954. How times change😁

Based on the potential money generated to reach a 2 leg semi final against a PL team its right up there with any game in our recent history.

What that could do for us as a club on and off the pitch could be incredible and propel us forward many years.

Huge huge game. Could be a real defining moment like the classic win vs Spurs which allowed Rudgie to start spending and buying generational talented players for the club.

• Like 1

True, I think it was mentioned in a previous thread, its certainly a good one to debate whether it is or isn't our biggest cup game. Aren't we the only side to beat the holders in the FA Cup twice(as a none top flight side at least?).  Everton in 1996 being the other occasion.
It's interesting if you take the games we had to get to the semi final in 1954 and mentioned the teams to people today they don't sound particularly big giantkillings but I think at least 2 of Blackpool, Cardiff and Orient were in the top division in 1954. How times change
Orient were the 3rd South leaders. We obviously were the 3rd North leaders, West Brom, the 1st Div leaders. QPR were in the 2nd Div.

Comparing the Blackpool and Everton FA Cup holder victories. Against Blackpool, we were a tier 3 team against a tier 1 team that had appeared in the Final 3 times in 8 years, in a 20 year spell in the top tier, at the time more internationals than most top clubs. Quite an achievement.
Against Everton we were a mid table tier 2 with players who would go on to play in the top tier. Whose other achievement was the double over Stoke, which kept them out of the promotion places to the Prem.
Both great wins but are difficult to compare in different eras. Hopefully, history will be made against Boro.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Comparing the Blackpool and Everton FA Cup holder victories. Against Blackpool, we were a tier 3 team against a tier 1 team that had appeared in the Final 3 times in 8 years, in a 20 year spell in the top tier, at the time more internationals than most top clubs. Quite an achievement.
Against Everton we were a mid table tier 2 with players who would go on to play in the top tier. Whose other achievement was the double over Stoke, which kept them out of the promotion places to the Prem.
Both great wins but are difficult to compare in different eras. Hopefully, history will be made against Boro.

Yeah in terms of an upset if we beat these in say Round 1 you'd probably not bat an eyelid, mid table L1 beating mid table Champ sides happen all the time, especially in the League Cup early rounds, on paper its less of an upset than when we beat QPR/Sheff Weds/United as a L2 club in this.

16 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Yeah in terms of an upset if we beat these in say Round 1 you'd probably not bat an eyelid, mid table L1 beating mid table Champ sides happen all the time, especially in the League Cup early rounds, on paper its less of an upset than when we beat QPR/Sheff Weds/United as a L2 club in this.

Also in terms of cup runs the lowest opposition, and  only  the second time  for us to win a 5th round cup game.  

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Orient were the 3rd South leaders. We obviously were the 3rd North leaders, West Brom, the 1st Div leaders. QPR were in the 2nd Div.

QPR were 3rd Div South in 1954 same as Orient. Cardiff(4th rd) and Blackpool(5th rd) were the 2 top tier sides(at the time) we beat.  So in modern day terms we beat 2 League One teams and 2 Premier Teams to make the semi final(from round 3).

2 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

You would think the majority of our 5k season ticket holders will be there plus 3.1k Boro so should be starting at 8k and then it's all about packing the park.

Imagine the clamour for tickets for the next round !!!!

If our run of drawing the lowest ranked club continues its Everton in the last 4 !!!

Guess you’re assuming Everton beat Fulham and aren’t allowing for the 10 point deduction either which would bring Chelsea into the mix too? Obviously you’re desperate for a trip to Goodison Park.😉