onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Burton A (H&A) FAC R1 match thread 4th & 14th Nov

Fosse69

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Great. We are in agreement then that its 1 win in 4

Very true, it is 1 win in 4 games 

Or,  you could argue it's 2 wins in 5 games,  or you could say it's 1 defeat in 5 games ( and that in a competition in which we had already qualified and fielded a weakened side).   

Or, you could widen the 5 games to include the terrible run of results. 

Or you could look at the season so far.

The choice is up to each fan,  guess it depends on your agenda really.

For me it's been a season of extremes so far.  Incredible lows, Barnsley,  Cheltenham in particular,  and great highs,  8 wins and a draw in 9,  QF in a major competition.  Still in 3 cups in mid November.   

Hopefully when we get the injured back we will climb the league.  Think the yak has been a bad miss in particular. 

C'mon the vale!!

Advert

2 hours ago, smithie said:

I don't blame him. Some Vale "fans" are poisonous tossers. I think the idiotic booing v Cheltenham has probably made some players less inclined to have much to do with the supporters. It's likely more an "us v the fans" feeling lately. 

I might understand it if there was a visible lack of effort or application, but can anyone really say that's been the case this season? Moreover, what on earth is booing players on to the pitch (Massey) supposed to achieve? 

Even when we win. By the final whistle the players invariably walk round and applaud a near empty stadium.

I just don't get it ...

What's so important for fans that they have to get off home before the final whistle or just after.

I think it's incredibly disheartening when players have put in a shift the vast majority of fans can't be arsed to thank them for their efforts.

2 hours ago, smithie said:

I don't blame him. Some Vale "fans" are poisonous tossers. I think the idiotic booing v Cheltenham has probably made some players less inclined to have much to do with the supporters. It's likely more an "us v the fans" feeling lately. 

I might understand it if there was a visible lack of effort or application, but can anyone really say that's been the case this season? Moreover, what on earth is booing players on to the pitch (Massey) supposed to achieve? 

Even when we win. By the final whistle the players invariably walk round and applaud a near empty stadium.

I just don't get it ...

What's so important for fans that they have to get off home before the final whistle or just after.

I think it's incredibly disheartening when players have put in a shift the vast majority of fans can't be arsed to thank them for their efforts.

10 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Oh, I see. I didn't see you'd quoted someone else's post that I had liked. No, not bothered in the slightest, I just liked the post. Tbh, I thought it was more pertinent to Vaillant than you but you do come across a tad curmudgeonly although, I know, you only say it as you see it.

Hope you are well by the way! 

All good here thank you. How are you doing?

I always give support to the club on here, its some of the daft comments that I will have a conversation about just like someone commenting last week that Arblaster is the best midfielder in the country at his age.

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

All good here thank you. How are you doing?

I always give support to the club on here, its some of the daft comments that I will have a conversation about just like someone commenting last week that Arblaster is the best midfielder in the country at his age.

Yeah all good ta.

I understand that.....for me, I'm much more of a "middle of the road" supporter, meaning I don't get too high or too low over results/performances. Something me Owd Fellah drilled into me really when I'd be so annoyed/pi$$ed off as a youngster when we lost! Don't get me wrong i was spitting feathers after Cheltenham at home, especially when deep down you know a performance like that is coming after supporting them for so long. I also thought there was immense danger in thinking we could go top of the league after the Burton league game. Nowadays, it doesn't ruin my whole week when they lose or play badly just ruins the next few hours! 😂

As for other supporter's viewpoints, it's up to them! I'm sometimes gobsmacked, sometimes unbelieving about what I read on here but it is about opinions I suppose? I would never pronounce something like that about Arblaster but.....I think both Loft and Massey are performing badly at the moment but that's not for want of effort, especially in Massey's case. I think/hope loft may come good. I also think Crosby will be okay over the course of the season, not judged on short spells within the season. I like some of the stuff we have played but possession along the back 3 continually drives me spare. There has to be variation in tactics for me and the most excitement I get is when we drive forward. (I know we can't do it all the time!)

To join this conversation, I am still affected by defeats and poor performances. Like yourself, it lasts for less time than when I was younger.

The last thing I need is to come on here and read about others misery.

So I generally aim to get the drift of what is being said, and mostly let it go. Staying away until things settle down again, which they usually do.

There are often grains of truth in the majority of observations, so I aim to remain open, even if I perceive them as unhelpful/ negative.

The most depressing feature is the bickering that goes on between people.

In sum, I find OVF useful to touch base and keep up to date, but I fear that many of the 'debates' would be off-putting for the occasional visitor.

21 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Very true, it is 1 win in 4 games 

Or,  you could argue it's 2 wins in 5 games,  or you could say it's 1 defeat in 5 games ( and that in a competition in which we had already qualified and fielded a weakened side).   

Or, you could widen the 5 games to include the terrible run of results. 

Or you could look at the season so far.

The choice is up to each fan,  guess it depends on your agenda really.

For me it's been a season of extremes so far.  Incredible lows, Barnsley,  Cheltenham in particular,  and great highs,  8 wins and a draw in 9,  QF in a major competition.  Still in 3 cups in mid November.   

Hopefully when we get the injured back we will climb the league.  Think the yak has been a bad miss in particular. 

C'mon the vale!!

That's very, very true. Good post m8.

For me, I think we are playing some of the most attractive football I've seen in many years. Yes, we have some faults in defence and attack - tow crucial areas. 

BUT, I don't think it's anything that can't be solved with some hard work, some confidence and a little bit of luck. 

And I think AC and DF need more thanks for what they've done. This is a long term, 3-5yr project. A marathon not a sprint. 

Get behind the team. Never, EVER, boo the team. 

UTV

On 16/11/2023 at 00:39, andy jones said:

When Massey scores at Burton there is no celebration he just simply walks back to the half way line. 

Booing one of our own just does the opposition Manager's job for him.

Not read all the topic so apologies if this has been mentioned but to be fair fans did sing his song, as cringy as it is.  In addition the backing of Loft when he came on was a pleasant surprise and possibly gave him a bit of a gee up, evident in his performance during the few minutes he was on.

Archived