onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Advert

5 hours ago, Doha said:

But they have open spaces on the list. Why not just select him then, he's getting paid either way? This way he's frozen out and isolated, it's a bit weird.

WWW.THESTAR.CO.UK

They can add any of the contracted players to their list until it's full whenever they want, no questions asked or admin hurdles. Thereafter they need to get approval to make a change.  So if a striker gets injured they can add Gregory,  a midfielder Jeff Hendrick. If they'd named all 25 players and the wrong ones got injured it's probable they would not get approval for a change. This way they can run with more flexibility. It's a loophole that probably should be closed as it's allowing bigger clubs to horde players and operate with much bigger squads. A lot of teams are doing it. You are only really limited by squad lists outside transfer windows anyway. Wednesday can operate with a squad of 28 players and pretty much have 100% flexibility over who they select for most of each 3/4 month periods outside transfer windows. If they decide they want Gregory on Saturday they just add him to the list and he can play. Unlikely we will ever have a big enough squad to worry about this I'd guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DazFred said:

I've watched it but it's the same at every club. We weren't interested in Gibbo so we moved on as a club. I don't think less than 50 games over the 2 seasons in this league is huge experience tho...

As the window panned out Gibbo would have been a good signing. However,  given the choice of a good centreforward or Gibbo the former was clearly the spot to spend money on. 

Being optimistic if Moore really did his research before taking the job it's pretty clear we are desperate for a centreforward.  That probably means there is some kind of plan to bring someone in which has a reasonable probability of happening. I really can't see him being here to add a relegation to his CV. The obvious one Dwight Gayle who probably had his best season playing under Moore. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JRC said:

As the window panned out Gibbo would have been a good signing. However,  given the choice of a good centreforward or Gibbo the former was clearly the spot to spend money on. 

Being optimistic if Moore really did his research before taking the job it's pretty clear we are desperate for a centreforward.  That probably means there is some kind of plan to bring someone in which has a reasonable probability of happening. I really can't see him being here to add a relegation to his CV. The obvious one Dwight Gayle who probably had his best season playing under Moore. 

Maybe player coach would tempt him.it seems he has done some coaching

10 minutes ago, JRC said:

Considering the interest in him I find it odd Gayle has not got another club yet 2 weeks after his contract was terminated.

I can’t see how we could afford his wages but I was thinking that about the manager….. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MBE said:

Considering the interest in him I find it odd Gayle has not got another club yet 2 weeks after his contract was terminated.

I can’t see how we could afford his wages but I was thinking that about the manager….. 

Partly depends on what Gayle wants from his next club. If he wants more money he won't be at Vale Park. I've seen him linked to Wednesday and Derby, where he's more likely to get minutes from the bench. He might be looking for a big pay cheques in Saudi or The States for a season.  He might just love playing football and want to spend as much time as possible on the pitch. It is odd he still hasn't gone somewhere.  I was expecting him to sign for someone within 48 hours of leaving Stoke. Normally players get released with a club already lined up but too late to get the deal done on deadline day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DazFred said:

I can't understand why we didn't approach Burnley and ask for a loan forward as part of the deal from Tommy Mac 

They only signed him for the under 21s not like it was a huge deal - personally I think we’ve signed enough kids as it is. I think the club were in the right direction with Smith, he would have been a brilliant signing but unfortunately didn’t come off. I’d love us (and expect us) to be in for him in the summer if we stay up 

Our strikers / forwards need to play in the correct zone. I don't want to keep seeing Chislett dribbling out from the back. Wilson needs to be given the ball in dangerous areas and not have to wander round looking for it 50 yards from goal. Loft when playing needs to be occupying the defence as well and not be a target man out on the wing. Hopefully DM will sort out formation issues. 

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MBE said:

There is a great video behind the scenes documenting GIbbo’s loan signing at Cambridge Utd.

I can’t believe we weren’t interested in him. Type of character we are missing.

MBE, thank you very interesting and enlightening. It details the all complications and just how protracted it can be to sign a player.With this knowledge it must be very frustrating for a football club when it takes so long to identify a player and then to get the deal done. It could take a whole window from start to finish, just to bring a player into a club. This makes me ask the question as our season was falling apart, why was AC allowed to continue as our manager after the beginning of December.? The manager must have some say in who he would like to come into the club, it can’t just be the decision of the DoF.

Edited by Playa Amodores
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

They only signed him for the under 21s not like it was a huge deal - personally I think we’ve signed enough kids as it is. I think the club were in the right direction with Smith, he would have been a brilliant signing but unfortunately didn’t come off. I’d love us (and expect us) to be in for him in the summer if we stay up 

I feel as much as we’ve loaned enough kids bringing a young striker in on loan to help with the work load would of still been better than none mate. Especially with Willo not completing 90 mins it surely would of been better than playing dipepa or relying on loft too much, just to even come off the bench here & there. Like you say tho it sounds like they were solely focused on smith which would have been a great signing for us. Personally I think we should of had a young loanee striker as a back up plan as you know how deadline day can go 

Edited by Vtid

18 hours ago, MBE said:

Good wasn’t it. Highlighted the difficulty with the transfer window and the work involved including the Sporting Director.

Daz missed the main point😀

This wouldn't load so I went on Cambridges website and watched the wrong video!

Silly me...I stand corrected MBE.

Am I allowed to say that these days without offending someone!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

MBE, thank you very interesting and enlightening. It details the all complications and just how protracted it can be to sign a player.With this knowledge it must be very frustrating for a football club when it takes so long to identify a player and then to get the deal done. It could take a whole window from start to finish, just to bring a player into a club. This makes me ask the question as our season was falling apart, why was AC allowed to continue as our manager after the beginning of December.? The manager must have some say in who he would like to come into the club, it can’t just be the decision of the DoF.

It's pretty clear the manager did have some say and the priority was a centreforward.  The problem was we failed to get the deal over the line in the final hours of the window. If we'd signed a decent centreforward I think it would have been a good window.  Sadly it seem we failed in the final hour.

• Like 3