onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

7 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Didn't Inniss do 18 months in theory but got injured several times so the number of appearances might seem pretty low?

Just checked, first one was only a one month loan and he got injured anyway at the end. Second one should have been for a season, then went back at Christmas. His first loan must have been the last season you could take one month loans.

Edited by JRC

Advert

1 hour ago, andy jones said:

Strangely Tony I regularly watch football. In addition to Vale (ST holder) Leek Town (ST holder), Kidsgrove Athletic, Hanley Town and even Abbey Hulton United I do.

All the above enable me to watch a football match without VAR taking the piss out of the spectators who have turned up to watch a football match.

Only at the Vale do I see the player taking the kick off passing it directly back to the goal keeper.

I have no desire to see other aspects of modern football such as deliberate outright cheating by players to 'win' penalties, get opponents sent off by simulating / exaggerating injury. Etc etc

The fact that a player can commit over 200 betting offences and managing to be back playing the game within 8 months instead of being banned 'sine die' from professional football within the jurisdiction of the FA is an indictment of how low the professional game has sunk.

Modern day football is, in many cases, corrupt and a total embarrassment in educating children. It is the antithesis of the definition of what sport used to stand for.

So my friend I do watch football, but at a level where the match is a sporting occasion to entertain and excite by scoring more goals than the opposition. Back passing to the keeper from the kick off followed by passing across the back line, followed by passing back to the keeper again, does nor meet any of the above criteria of a football match. IMHO.

Tell me, Tony, do you actually watch football or just a sad parody of ... the once beautiful game?

I watch Barrow pass it directly to the GK on Saturday. The ball was played back to Paul Farman and he launched to Proc. Barrow basically play like a Rugby Union team playing for territory.  Farman also took all of the free kicks in the Barrow half. I guess they are using the strengths of the player. With respect you will not see a GK at lower non league levels with the same ability to kick it like a Farman or Ripley so would be pointless a direct pass to the GK from kick off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Vtid said:

i really rate whitfield. I mentioned i'd like see us go in for him again last season but got laughed at. Having another good season at Barrow & he would fit in nicely in one of our 10s roles 

His best games were alongside Pope. Not so strong on the wing. Certainly last season he sometimes played at wingback. Not sure what position he is currently playing. He's got the ability to play league 1.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vtid said:

i really rate whitfield. I mentioned i'd like see us go in for him again last season but got laughed at. Having another good season at Barrow & he would fit in nicely in one of our 10s roles 

If memory serves me right when he joined permanently Aspin had the hump with him about his agent and then he got bomb-squadded by Askey after he took over for what seemed to be implied to be non-footballing reasons whatever they were.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

I watch Barrow pass it directly to the GK on Saturday. The ball was played back to Paul Farman and he launched to Proc. Barrow basically play like a Rugby Union team playing for territory.  Farman also took all of the free kicks in the Barrow half. I guess they are using the strengths of the player. With respect you will not see a GK at lower non league levels with the same ability to kick it like a Farman or Ripley so would be pointless a direct pass to the GK from kick off.

Iv.e seen it on the tele.  never noticed it b4 the comments on here, but definatley seen it a few times since.  I presume it's to give the strickers chance to get up the pitch and launch an immediate attack

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JRC said:

His best games were alongside Pope. Not so strong on the wing. Certainly last season he sometimes played at wingback. Not sure what position he is currently playing. He's got the ability to play league 1.

Playing alongside Proctor as a striker this season or in behind the strikers 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MBE said:

As Ripley stands so far out of his goal its not that different to passing back to a centrehalf.  Generally Ripley's distribution is better than Smith's. It allows you to keep a higher line if the ball comes straight back.

Did Whitfield play as a striker alongside Proctor?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JRC said:

As Ripley stands so far out of his goal its not that different to passing back to a centrehalf.  Generally Ripley's distribution is better than Smith's. It allows you to keep a higher line if the ball comes straight back.

Did Whitfield play as a striker alongside Proctor?

At vale he was used as a winger wasnt he? 

1 minute ago, Vtid said:

Playing alongside Proctor as a striker this season or in behind the strikers 

Interesting.  He seems to have matured a bit. After his first half season it seemed to be something other than ability that held him back. Decent pace, good distribution and a decent shot. I certainly wasn't averse to him coming back. I suspect he's improved his consistency.  When he was good for us he was on a different level; when he was bad he looked non league. 

• Like 4

Just now, JRC said:

Interesting.  He seems to have matured a bit. After his first half season it seemed to be something other than ability that held him back. Decent pace, good distribution and a decent shot. I certainly wasn't averse to him coming back. I suspect he's improved his consistency.  When he was good for us he was on a different level; when he was bad he looked non league. 

that's lower football league for you i suppose 

7 hours ago, andy jones said:

Strangely Tony I regularly watch football. In addition to Vale (ST holder) Leek Town (ST holder), Kidsgrove Athletic, Hanley Town and even Abbey Hulton United I do.

All the above enable me to watch a football match without VAR taking the piss out of the spectators who have turned up to watch a football match.

Only at the Vale do I see the player taking the kick off passing it directly back to the goal keeper.

I have no desire to see other aspects of modern football such as deliberate outright cheating by players to 'win' penalties, get opponents sent off by simulating / exaggerating injury. Etc etc

The fact that a player can commit over 200 betting offences and managing to be back playing the game within 8 months instead of being banned 'sine die' from professional football within the jurisdiction of the FA is an indictment of how low the professional game has sunk.

Modern day football is, in many cases, corrupt and a total embarrassment in educating children. It is the antithesis of the definition of what sport used to stand for.

So my friend I do watch football, but at a level where the match is a sporting occasion to entertain and excite by scoring more goals than the opposition. Back passing to the keeper from the kick off followed by passing across the back line, followed by passing back to the keeper again, does nor meet any of the above criteria of a football match. IMHO.

Tell me, Tony, do you actually watch football or just a sad parody of ... the once beautiful game?

Both Blackpool and Barnsley did it for all their restarts.  Charlton passed back to their centre half who was standing in a similar position to Connor Ripley when he was receiving the ball.  Most teams do pass it back to a player who then passes/launches it in the general direction of the players that have now had time to run forward from the kick-off. It’s just for us and at least Blackpool and Barnsley that player has been the goal keeper. I don’t see the issue.  What’s frustrating for me is it ending back at Connor’s feet from a free kick or throw in in the opposition’s half or when one of our corners breaks down. I’ve not counted how frequently this happens it’s just a little annoying when it does.

Edited by Trumpingtonvale
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vtid said:

At vale he was used as a winger wasnt he? 

Mainly. His best game was the Luton match over Christmas.  He played alongside Pope. Luton just couldn't handle him and he looked like a Championship player. Never hit those heights again. Showed plenty of glimpses but they were more moments rather than dominating a game.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JRC said:

I suspect by get rid means Fleetwood would like to recoup the transfer fee AND get all the wage off their budget. I suspect they are close to bankruptcy and the players signed last January will be a substantial wages. If they desperately need to sell they have a left sided player (Promise something) who looks really tidy and isn't high profile, so maybe meets our salary structure.  

After their chairman went to prison they have lower gates than us with a squad on Derby or Portsmouth wages. That will not end well.

Think I’ve seen somewhere Carlisle are interested in signing Marriot. Probably see him as better value than Young from Bradford.

1 hour ago, Guppys left peg said:

Have never known a Vale signing get given a stage by stage report on it like this. What it does show is how much work actually goes into getting one over the line even after the point of reaching agreement I guess.

You can see why some of these young players seem to think they are God's gift to football, can't you?  It instills all the wrong values in a young man, IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRC said:

I suspect by get rid means Fleetwood would like to recoup the transfer fee AND get all the wage off their budget. I suspect they are close to bankruptcy and the players signed last January will be a substantial wages. If they desperately need to sell they have a left sided player (Promise something) who looks really tidy and isn't high profile, so maybe meets our salary structure.  

After their chairman went to prison they have lower gates than us with a squad on Derby or Portsmouth wages. That will not end well.

But BJ thinks you have to pay players salary after they have been transferred. so that won't work 🙄🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2