onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

27 minutes ago, aspin for england said:

Weren’t Arblaster and Devine unproven when they came here ?  Then you say Williams and Gore unproven ,

We are using an advantage a 'smaller club' like Port Vale can offer in the market place. That is to offer the guarantee of playing a large number of senior games to a young player who needs exactly that. We seem to have been able to loan some top quality because of that advantage. But we must get it right or we will be stuck playing 'kids' who are not ready. 

Edited by Warren

Advert

Surely Weir proved he was good enough in League One last season with 11 goals? I wouldn't say he was totally unproven. 

Also they always say scoring goals in an avg-poor side is harder than a good team so I'd say he's a decent replacement for Arblaster in one sense.  Maybe he won't have some of Arblaster's other qualities but if he produces something similar on the goals front he did at Morecambe that's as good as Devine and better than Arblaster for that stat alone.  Evidently any signing is a gamble but I wouldn't criticise Vale or anyone specifically for that one even if Weir doesn't come off as such.

Edited by Shropshire_Valiant
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Warren said:

The thread is relevant. If the manager and coaching staff at Shrewsbury are sacked it means they will struggle to attract and sign players in the remaining days of the window. Also players approached by other clubs are more likely to leave. All this provides advantage to Port Vale in this window when a main rival in L1 is disadvantaged. 

Not sure it makes much difference in all honesty. Shrews also use the DOF model so in theory should just be business as usual for them.

I’m hoping in the remainder of the window we are still looking for an extra option to play LWB. Grant is improving as the season is getting on but it’s a risk to assume he’ll stay fit for the duration as well as the physical demands of the position (plus I think getting someone in could free him up to play in the middle when the opportunity allows).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aspin for england said:

Weren’t Arblaster and Devine unproven when they came here ?  Then you say Williams and Gore unproven ,

Agreed, particularly in the case of Arblaster when it was established we were signing him how many really thought he’d become a mainstay of the midfield like he did? Not many if we are being honest, Devine had similar billing from Tottenham fans as United are giving Gore but in reality neither had been proven at senior level.

22 minutes ago, robf said:

From what I've read of Dan Gore (and that's not much admittedly) he seems to be someone who enjoys a tackle and will get stuck in. So, a different player from Devine. However, I wonder if having one of those (showing my age here) all action "Andy Porter types" will help the defence? I think we've been badly missing Ojo and perhaps Gore can come up and add that screen in front of the back three?

Is he really!!all action will be a big hit here.

Andy porter plus Antony Griffiths  😃 

8 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Not sure it makes much difference in all honesty. Shrews also use the DOF model so in theory should just be business as usual for them.

I’m hoping in the remainder of the window we are still looking for an extra option to play LWB. Grant is improving as the season is getting on but it’s a risk to assume he’ll stay fit for the duration as well as the physical demands of the position (plus I think getting someone in could free him up to play in the middle when the opportunity allows).

Interestingly with Shrewsbury they only went to the DOF model part way through last season(it clearly peed Cotterill off and he left in the close season) but I hear and see comments from their fans on social media criticising their DOF like some of our fans do with Flitcroft.  That's not to defend DF necessarily(depending on your opinion) but just shows DOFs make mistakes elsewhere and yet more clubs seem to go down that route even in the lower leagues these days.

On the face of it their recruit the summer just gone was far worse than ours but Shrewsbury were a bit better than us last season(at least consistently).  Now there's nothing between the 2 sides in the table and we have 3 games in hand on them.

14 hours ago, mbycars said:

I don't have to. What you are saying is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I see you quoted that sentence but didn't answer why a club would agree to another club to approach one of their players and sign him knowing they would still be paying his salary.

You also don't say how this is financially viable.

We let Jake Taylor go after Morecombe  approached us. He still had nearly 3 years left on his contract. Are you saying we let him leave for another club knowing we would have to pay him nearly 3 year's salary.

I bet you believe Donald Trump won the last USA election too😂😂😂

I think we are in agreement then, that you have knowledge of players contracts then👍

38 minutes ago, robf said:

From what I've read of Dan Gore (and that's not much admittedly) he seems to be someone who enjoys a tackle and will get stuck in. So, a different player from Devine. However, I wonder if having one of those (showing my age here) all action "Andy Porter types" will help the defence? I think we've been badly missing Ojo and perhaps Gore can come up and add that screen in front of the back three?

I suspect you are right. Jensen Weir played more as a 10 or an 8 last season. He may well play higher, with Gore (if he signs) playing deeper. Hopefully Ojo will also be back next weekend. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Devine intervention said:

The clear pen in first half it's a pen every day of the week .

The handball and the what should have being sending off of there best players Edwards if that's not a handball I don't know what is .

Are you for real m8 we pinned them in there 18 yard area last 30 mins I was there cheering the Vale on we even equalised through Thomas from Uches ball in when the linesman wasn't up with play .

How on this earth is that a didn't break sweat night 

It was major lucky I'd say we deserved win based on last 30 mins pummelling them .

Funny on a website how 2 supporters /followers see games differently .

You sure you not on about the Derby game where we had no efforts on target all game (tell a lie think Ripley headed one at 1 mile a hr ).

Fair enough that was Crap .

UTV 

The amount of time's that you have to go around in circles on here is crazy and it just spams the board.

At the time, you were many other people on here that it was never a penalty. Even people in the happy clappers club agreed that it was not penalty but you still think it was for some bizarre reason.

The ball for the cross was out of play and again people on here told you it was but you will not listen.

Out of all the possession we had in that 30 minutes you mentioned, how many chances did we have? I already know the answer but I will wait for your reply on it.

How many chances did Peterborough miss on the counter attack in the second half?

Dan Gore training with Vale today apparently. 

You cannot help but be impressed by the difference in our loans this season compared to last. Alfie & Ollie have both done well for us & now we've drafted in what looks to be another couple of England youth players who you'd expect to be at a similar level to Alfie & Ollie.

Weir as well, on paper is a super signing when you look at his stats in a poor Morecambe side last year. 

Really impressive. We just need a few perms through the door now to really strengthen us.

• Like 9