onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

21 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Got anymore examples that were not 10 years ago?

Adams also had his contract paid up when he left for Sheffield United

Not offhand and I cant be bothered to look that deeply although I suspect there probably are other examples. However, you said "why do you never hear of a manager resigning" and I was merely providing an example on our doorstep?

I should add that I don't disagree that most managers get sacked and paid up, although many probably still think they can turn things around and don't want a sacking on their CV either. Mickey was different in that regard as he said that he'd run out of ideas. 

Edited by Hot Rat

Advert

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

He's had all season to change the way we play at half time v Barnsley? It was desperation from Crosby 

Of course we were desperate to get back in it somehow. But without  checking any stats I can’t think of another game apart from the opening match where we were so far out of it at half time. 

Edited by PV1973

18 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Of course we were desperate to get back in it somehow. But without  checking any stats I can’t think of another game apart from the opening match where we were so far out of it at half time. 

Even when we are on a crap run and we are creating or scoring diddly squat, he never changed it.

His arse was on the line at half time v Barnsley.

• Like 1

Crosby needs to integrate the new players and come up with the tactical approach to play the league leaders by next weekend. Let's hope he continues to mature as a manager.

We are in a position with games in hand to climb well in to mid table with wins. Lose them and we are in the battle to stay up. 

Edited by Warren

I'm not sure Plymouth are comparable myself. Capable of gates twice our size and bigger budgets than ourselves. 

They have utilised the loan market excellently. Yet despite Azaz being one of the outstanding players last season he wasn't recalled by Villa and farmed out elsewhere. 

Plymouth also saw a first season of consolidation followed by substantial progress ( 7th ). Then promoted. Whereas we have stagnated in our league position. 

Plymouth are a miles bigger club than ourselves. 

My goal as a Vale fan having seen the Rudge years is for a sustainable club and decent entertainment. 

Not sure this tippy tappy vision of a League one club provides the latter. Other than the last 3 1/2 home games I've been bored rigid. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Warren said:

Crosby needs to integrate the new players and come up the tactical approach to play the league leaders by next weekend. Let's hope he continues to mature as a manager.

We generally cack ourselves and wake up on the hour mark when it dawns on us the opposition aren't actually much cop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Totally appreciate that Loft hasn't shown much but I do think he deserves a longer run in the team (if we are going to judge him fairly) According to the stats I've seen, he's played 448 minutes in League 1 this season. So, in total: 5 games. Don't get me wrong that't's enough time to have scored a couple of goals but it isn't much time. Also, when he has played, how many of those was he up front on his own?  

For me, Uche and Wilson start. But judging Loft when playing alongside Wilson (and for a number of games) would be much more fair. Playing alongside Wilson may bring out the best in him? But, may be not. But at least he would have had a fair chance.

I haven't totally written Loft off and I do want him to succeed.

Everyone wants every player for Vale succeed. 

Lofts no different .

Uches form which is excellent has brought out the best in Massey for example as I will be honest prior to the Wigan game I was thinking best for all parties  if Massey is moved on now I'm.willing to hope every performance is as good as v Wigan Charlton from him he has set the bar he needs maintain it .

Loft I think there is good mobility there .

Ducking under the ball is not what I want see though but you can bet your mortgage that next time he is selected.for the Vale he be encouraged I don't agree with booing a player who has just entered the field fair enough if just lost 7-0 you wouldn't want any player who played in that team performance (or should I say none team performance)representing your club again but we forgave that rubbish it happened and we still backed the players thereafter with not a Loft in sight .

So yes we will back him but he needs be better in all aspects of his game .

UTV  

3 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

It does in football.

Contracts in football are unlike your normal standard working contract.

The only time a player does not get paid his contract up, is if the player himself asks to leave.

Its the same with managers. Even when a manager is total tripe, why do you think you never hear of a manager resigning because he knows he will get paid up

Uche gets 6 months wages from Vale plus his signing on fee at the club he signs for if he moves in this transfer window

Uche won't get paid if he chooses to leave for more money. It's when a club wants a player to leave and nobody can match the wages. When we resigned Pope we paid the salary we agreed to pay. To get him to leave Bury paid most of the difference between what we paid him and what they paid him for the remainder of his Bury contract. Pope told Bury he either wanted to sign for Vale or stay. There was a similar deal years ago when we signed Tony Dinning. We will have told Uche Charlton were interested but it was his choice to speak to them and then accept or reject the offer. If we wanted him to leave if he rejected the offer we could have offered him some additional money. 

The Denver Hume deal during the last window failed because Portsmouth weren't prepared to pay him much of the difference between the salary they pay and what we offered. If Portsmouth had to pay him all season we would have signed him. 

I've worked on short-term contracts (for the same company) for 15 years. If they stop me coming into work or sack me they still have to pay me. My current contract ends September 24 but I signed another contract in December which runs from October 24 to September 25. If they sack me today they have to pay me 21 months salary either each month or as a lump sum; unless I agree to cut a deal. I certainly wouldn't cut a deal.

Short-term contracts guarantee a fixed amount of income for a fixed period. You can be sacked for misconduct but otherwise you get paid. You just have no rights or redundancy the day the contract ends.

Edited by JRC

11 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

What worries me is that we just become Crewe. Happy to sell all our kids, playing tippy happy football, in a 'nice family environment'. We used to take the pıss out of them for this. Vale should have a bit of grit and needle. Away managers always used to say 'Vale Park is a horrible place to go'. We're becoming far too nice and detached from what I see us as. Yes it's nice that we're getting kids and families in, but we should also be a bit rough and ready. We had the balance exactly right in the promotion season, as you saw with the Swindon game. This season we have strayed too far away from our working class, edgy, a bit nasty roots. Everything that comes out of the club is controlled. The interviews with Alfie and Blaster, all geared towards us being a nice and friendly. The Boro game typified this. 

Every time I listen to the coverage I hear managers respecting as we're so difficult to play against. Granted, they might just be being polite but I don't think so. Being a scrapping, ugly team to play against is one thing, but being good at playing football and moving things aroun (as well as being hard to breakdown/beat) is far better. Just my humble opinion. 

I'm rather pleased and encouraged about what we're becoming. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

What worries me is that we just become Crewe. Happy to sell all our kids, playing tippy happy football, in a 'nice family environment'. We used to take the pıss out of them for this. Vale should have a bit of grit and needle. Away managers always used to say 'Vale Park is a horrible place to go'. We're becoming far too nice and detached from what I see us as. Yes it's nice that we're getting kids and families in, but we should also be a bit rough and ready. We had the balance exactly right in the promotion season, as you saw with the Swindon game. This season we have strayed too far away from our working class, edgy, a bit nasty roots. Everything that comes out of the club is controlled. The interviews with Alfie and Blaster, all geared towards us being a nice and friendly. The Boro game typified this. 

That Middlesborough game was like a non event in terms of what I was seeing .

I expected see us bang up for it but got the impression we were bar a few players who were there usual at it selves that we had no belief we could do anything whatsoever .

It was along with Cheltenham and Carlisle away the most insipid soft touch performances which you wouldn't want associate with a bottom of the league Sunday league team it was so pathetic..

To this day we just seemed go out and have our bellies tickled .

Gone now if only we could have played like we did v Barnsley second half 21 goal attempts in one half or last home game 29 goal attempts much better and we look to me at present the side I want us to  be, bar the defensive shambles which is not just a occasional thing it's been happening for years .

Free shots slow reactions and downright awful application. 

Until that end of the pitch is bettered we will continue to be nearer the bottom than the top for sure 

UTV 

Edited by Devine intervention

16 hours ago, robf said:

I've done a piece on the Brazier rumours on the front page. It may be useful if anyone is catching up. The response from Vale suggests these reports are hugely wide of the mark...

Ok Rob , nice one 👍

8 minutes ago, Osh said:

Every time I listen to the coverage I hear managers respecting as we're so difficult to play against. Granted, they might just be being polite but I don't think so. Being a scrapping, ugly team to play against is one thing, but being good at playing football and moving things aroun (as well as being hard to breakdown/beat) is far better. Just my humble opinion. 

I'm rather pleased and encouraged about what we're becoming. 

Hard to breakdown is not a term I've heard used Osh.

We've got one of the worst defensive records in the division. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1