onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale's oldest goal-scorer?

Barry Jackson

I am wondering if anyone can confirm if England international winger Arthur Bridgett is Vale's oldest ever goal-scorer? 

It is nearly 100 years since he responded to an injury crisis at the Vale by coming out of an eight year retirement from first team football to line up against Clapton Orient at the Recreation Ground on November 10th 1923 at the grand old age of 41 years and 30 days.

He marked the occasion by scoring the game's only goal, after 90 seconds! 

My connection is my great-uncle, Tom Davis, was making his home debut for the Vale that day as a stand-in for one of the injured regulars, Bob Connelly.

Advert

12 hours ago, Barry Jackson said:

I am wondering if anyone can confirm if England international winger Arthur Bridgett is Vale's oldest ever goal-scorer? 

It is nearly 100 years since he responded to an injury crisis at the Vale by coming out of an eight year retirement from first team football to line up against Clapton Orient at the Recreation Ground on November 10th 1923 at the grand old age of 41 years and 30 days.

He marked the occasion by scoring the game's only goal, after 90 seconds! 

My connection is my great-uncle, Tom Davis, was making his home debut for the Vale that day as a stand-in for one of the injured regulars, Bob Connelly.

@Barry Jackson that's a great story on Arthur Bridgett (I see a front page feature coming on dramatic Vale playing comebacks coming soon)...

I think the oldest scorer may actually be Tom Holford.

It's not Sir Roy as his last goal came when he was a mere 39 years, six months and 16 days old (he didn't score in his last two seasons as a player).

Holford scored for Vale on the 11th December 1920 (in a 6-1 win over Stockport County) and was born on the 22nd February 1878. That made him 42 years, 9 months and 19 days old. 

There's every chance Arthur Bridgett is the second-oldest.

Port Vale players from the start of the 20th century is a particular anorak obsession of mine - so here's an OVF feature on Tom Holford's colourful Vale career:

Many thanks for that - I came across Tom Holford in the Sherwin book.

I think Bridgett scored his last goals for Vale in a 3-1 win at Coventry on 19th January 1924 when he was 41 years, 2 months and 8 days.

For me, as a Sunderland supporter growing up in the Potteries (a strange case, I know) I was astonished to discover this connection between a footballing legend who was also Potteries-born yet starred on the wing for my  team (348 games,116 goals and11 England caps) and then made this incredible comeback on the day my great-uncle took his home bow for the Vale all in the shadow of the church in Hanley where I was christened. I have attached the match report from the Athletic News which gave my relative, Tom Davis (misspelt Davies) the 'junior from Bucknall' a nice compliment.

I have searched in vain for any photographs or team photos that might feature Tom  - I would be grateful for any potential leads or ideas from anyone.Screenshot2023-09-19111256.thumb.png.4a5abd49eb88894ff80399fd6574c86b.png

1 hour ago, Barry Jackson said:

I have attached the match report from the Athletic News which gave my relative, Tom Davis (misspelt Davies) the 'junior from Bucknall' a nice compliment.

I have searched in vain for any photographs or team photos that might feature Tom  - I would be grateful for any potential leads or ideas from anyone.

Guess you know all about the Wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923–24_Port_Vale_F.C._season

This one includes a team photo with a lot unknowns

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/port-vale-team-photo-through-the-years/

Maybe he is one of them?

edit: apologies I was looking at the names of the 1921-22 photo above. He doesn't appear to be in any photos.

Yes, thanks, I contributed - I think the problem is he was signed after the season started - he doesn't appear on the pre-season roster published by the Sentinel. I haven't found a team photo for the following season 1924/25 - he might feature there because he stayed until Summer 1925 though didn't play again for the first team. 

Incidentally Tom's first team debut for Vale coincided with Wilf Kirkham's 2nd game for the club on November 3rd 1923, a week before his home debut and the Bridgett comeback. It was also against Clapton Orient and was unfortunately overshadowed by the tragic injury and subsequent death of the Vale winger Thomas Butler.

5 hours ago, Barry Jackson said:

Thanks for your reply.

I have Phil Sherwin's book 'The Port Vale Miscellany' which I think is excellent but doesn't mention the oldest scorer - do you know how I would contact Phil?

Barry, I will pose the question to Phil on your behalf. Phil has replied and the answer is Tom Holford, hope this helps. Age 46.

50 minutes ago, ginginator said:

Was he the uncle of John Poole?  

Tom I mean.

Yes he was - Tom's sister, Alice, was John Poole's Mum. I never met Tom but I did speak to John a few years before he died - I hadn't been sure of the family connection and it wasn't until I was looking through some old programmes that I realised I had actually seen him play - he turned out for Roy Chapman's testimonial / memorial game at Marston Road in 1983.

8 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Is there anyone out there who has any research into the history of Stafford Rangers? If Tom Davis ended up there then I don't know of anywhere online that would indicate how he did there

Good question - I haven't come across much information other than the list of players on wikipedia. I am planning to have a look through the 1920s Sentinels this winter via the British Newspaper Archive so I will see if anything emerges.

Archived