Advert

Advert

Blackpool (A) match thread Tue Aug 15th

Guest Vale 1971

Guest Vale 1971

Massive game v the seasiders 

Sold out .

Unbelievable support 0

I'd have loved to be there but going Edinburgh for weekend so already swapped me shift .

Seen some cracking games at the pool 4-2 springs to mind Vale everywhere on day when results went against us .

Enjoy it Vale fans .

Hard game but let's hope the tremendous second half over running of Reading continues v the pool .

One of my favourites for top 3 .

UTV 

Advert

I don't think it's a "massive" game just yet. Crosby winning his last two has put any pressure he was under aside for the short term at least.

It'll be tough and very different to Reading, who I thought were poor and lacked any knowhow at this level. Blackpool have played at this level before and know how to get out of it.

Jake Beesley (son of former Vale defender Paul Beesley), scored a couple against us for Rochdale a couple of years ago and is a threat in the air.

Critchley is an excellent manager in League One and will have a few tricks up his sleeve. I'd take a point now.

25 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I'd take a point all day long. Can see us going into this the same as Saturday, 1 up top 9 more defensive in a solid structure, waiting to hit them on the break.

0-0 I'll go for.

I quite like that; love counter-attacking football.

I know we had the crushing defeat at Barnsley, then two nice wins seems to have raised everyone's spirits - and i know i'm seen as the Happy Clapper In Chief, BUT - a note of caution, this is a big test tomorrow night.  Crosby not out of the focus on his survival just yet.

If we come away with a point tomorrow night i'll be well chuffed.  If we get all three, that will be amazing, if we get one i'd be well happy - if we lose then its not too bad as we're expected to lose any way.  For me its how we play and the fight that we put up.

Defence has to work well and no capitulation.  Team has to have some fight and spirit about it, like it did on Saturday.

Oh, and i'm still keen to see who else we bring in to strengthen the team.  Could do with one more striker, and a left back - possibly center back...??

Good luck AC and the lads - UTV!

I quite like that; love counter-attacking football.
I know we had the crushing defeat at Barnsley, then two nice wins seems to have raised everyone's spirits - and i know i'm seen as the Happy Clapper In Chief, BUT - a note of caution, this is a big test tomorrow night.  Crosby not out of the focus on his survival just yet.
If we come away with a point tomorrow night i'll be well chuffed.  If we get all three, that will be amazing, if we get one i'd be well happy - if we lose then its not too bad as we're expected to lose any way.  For me its how we play and the fight that we put up.
Defence has to work well and no capitulation.  Team has to have some fight and spirit about it, like it did on Saturday.

Oh, and i'm still keen to see who else we bring in to strengthen the team.  Could do with one more striker, and a left back - possibly center back...??
Good luck AC and the lads - UTV!
I think that formation and tactics are the way to go against the bigger clubs. We don't defend well enough or create enough in the 3-5-2 we played at Barnsley and at home to Fleetwood. If we tried it vs reading we'd have lost imo.

Croz has probably seen that this is our best way of picking up a point or 3 against some of the better teams. No matter how good you are, stodging up the middle of the park makes it difficult at this level to break us down. Then when we've got the ball, rely on the pace of Clark, Thomas, Chislett and arblaster to bomb forward with the ball.

It won't always work, but we may draw out a boring 0-0 at least. I'd fully expect 2 up top vs Carlisle at home.

2 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I think that formation and tactics are the way to go against the bigger clubs. We don't defend well enough or create enough in the 3-5-2 we played at Barnsley and at home to Fleetwood. If we tried it vs reading we'd have lost imo.

Croz has probably seen that this is our best way of picking up a point or 3 against some of the better teams. No matter how good you are, stodging up the middle of the park makes it difficult at this level to break us down. Then when we've got the ball, rely on the pace of Clark, Thomas, Chislett and arblaster to bomb forward with the ball.

It won't always work, but we my draw out a boring 0-0 at least. I'd fully expect 2 up top vs Carlisle at home.

Agreed.  I also think the distribution from Ripley helps with that, too.  Not just from his kicking but how he can throw the ball when he takes is from dominating the box.  

14 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

It won't always work, but we may draw out a boring 0-0 at least. I'd fully expect 2 up top vs Carlisle at home.

Pace. Wow. How good to have that!! An entirely new dimension.

Pace. Wow. How good to have that!! An entirely new dimension.
Yeah, it is. I don't mind Sang so far, good in the middle and steady enough at wing back. Grant too, looks OK so far but miles from full fitness.

However, the difference when we brought Planty and Clark on and had them bombing on Saturday was night and day. Really chuffed Clark is fit again. You see that work the other way when Thomas and Wilson swapped.

Looking forward to the game, stopping overnight so it's the pub Wednesday to cheer on the Women (I guess Warren will be playing Golf somewhere).

Can't put my finger on either formation, tactics or line-up, I think Crosby is going to approach each game, whether home or away with a different mindset for each opponent and formation, tactics and line-ups will change accordingly.  

One thing I did think about last Saturdays game is whether or not the injury to Harrison actually benefitted us in some way, maybe the way we set up in the first half (Passive - I know!) or the tactics etc.

Will be interesting to see if he's fit for tomorrow.

Certainly a point would be more than welcome, 3 points ?, well I'm not expecting that although it would be a real bonus to come home with 3 points. A defeat will NOT end our season, despite what some on here will suggest.

I'll take a 1-1 draw now.

Slightly off topic but I didn't realise there was a hierarchy to the Happy Clappers Club and that OSH is Happy Clapper in Chief, can I put myself down as Treasurer ?

• Fosse69 changed the title to Blackpool (A) match thread Tue Aug 15th

1850 sold for this which I think is really impressive for midweek.

Going to be a hard game though this (as is Charlton on Saturday). Blackpool by far the most stable and most likely of the relegated clubs to challenge for promotion so will be a test. Just show the same level of commitment again and hopefully we can get something. 

1 hour ago, Osh said:

Agreed.  I also think the distribution from Ripley helps with that, too.  Not just from his kicking but how he can throw the ball when he takes is from dominating the box.  

Did you hear what Phil Sproson said about Ripley when he was commentating on the game v Reading?

He said that he's been talking to people at Morecombe and they have told him that Ripley's distribution is not very good. Very very strange comments when we have already seen first hand what Ripley is bringing to the team

Archived