onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Women`s World Cup 2023

Fosse69

Advert

Great effort, just came up a little short against a seriously fine Spain team. We beat them in the Euros and got a little lucky so they deserved their revenge today. A few too many players just didn't show up in the final, the likes of Russo, Stanway and Daly were pretty poor. But going into the tournament without a few key players, including your captain, and only losing to an elite side in the final is a hell of an effort by all. Just feel that we never got the momentum and spring in our step we should after the penalty save but again, you have to give Spain a lot of credit for that.

Agree mostly, but isn’t Bright the captain and she played, personally I would have played James from the start.

i thought the Spanish were getting away with murder and the ref penalised every little foul we committed, 

1 minute ago, Conrad said:

Agree mostly, but isn’t Bright the captain and she played, personally I would have played James from the start.

i thought the Spanish were getting away with murder and the ref penalised every little foul we committed, 

Bright is only captain because Leah Williamson did her cruciate ligament and missed the tournament.  We were also without Beth Meade - top scorer in the Euros - and Fran Kirby.  Did well to get to the final and I particularly enjoyed stuffing the Aussies in the semi!!

3 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Leah Williamson is I'm pretty sure.

6 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Bright is only captain because Leah Williamson did her cruciate ligament and missed the tournament.  We were also without Beth Meade - top scorer in the Euros - and Fran Kirby.  Did well to get to the final and I particularly enjoyed stuffing the Aussies in the semi!!

5 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

Leah Williamson is I'm pretty sure.

Yeah you’re both right, Leah Williamson is,  I enjoyed whupping the Aussies, don’t like Aussies.

12 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Yeah you’re both right, Leah Williamson is,  I enjoyed whupping the Aussies, don’t like Aussies.

Think Beth Mead was the biggest miss today for us though. She's the one with the guile and creativity that was needed against such an organised and stubborn Spain team.

3 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

Think Beth Mead was the biggest miss today for us though. She's the one with the guile and creativity that was needed against such an organised and stubborn Spain team.

Yes I’d forgotten about her she’s been out that long, couldnt understand taking a striker off(Russo) when we were 1-0 down and needing a goal.

2 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Yes I’d forgotten about her she’s been out that long, couldnt understand taking a striker off(Russo) when we were 1-0 down and needing a goal.

Russo had a poor half but she can hold the ball up and should have probably been kept on longer. Thought James came on too soon, at half-time. Funnily enough we had much more of the ball in the second half for a while than the first, but created considerably less. Spain just like their Men's counterparts are the absolute worst side to go a goal down against.

36 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Thought it was a terrible game really poor quality and Spain completely outplayed us in every department. I find it out the unanimous praise the woman get for losing a final odd, as the men got various abuse for it. 

Keeper was good though, that’s about it. 

I agree with your first sentence but to get to any final, let alone a World final, is worthy of praise.  Shame we didn’t perform, but fair play to the Spaniards who were worthy winners.

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Thought it was a terrible game really poor quality and Spain completely outplayed us in every department. I find it odd, the unanimous praise the women get for losing a final, as the men got various abuse for it. 

Keeper was good though, that’s about it. 

Bit harsh. Spain were undoubtedly the better team but England had their moments and chances. Most finals aren't fantastic as a spectacle due to the pressure and nerves that play a huge part. I don't remember England getting any abuse when they narrowly lost to France in the World Quarter finals a couple of years ago, just a bit of ridicule for Kane for skying a penalty. I think they got praised generally for giving France a game and and actually being a bit unlucky to lose the game in the end.

Only watched the second half due to other commitments. Women should be proud of their achievements and the fact that they are disappointed to be runners up says it all.

Lost to the better team but the Spaniards had the ref in their pocket. Ref bottled it when she should definitely have sent one of their players off.

Overall I enjoyed the games that I saw and there's much less time wasting and gamesmanship in the competition IMO.

I hope the game continues to grow and it's definitely lifted the profile of the sport since the Euros.

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Thought it was a terrible game really poor quality and Spain completely outplayed us in every department. I find it odd, the unanimous praise the women get for losing a final, as the men got various abuse for it. 

Don’t remember the men getting abuse for losing a World Cup Final???  Don’t think they ever have?!!

Archived