onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Port Vale

Fosse69

4 hours ago, philmpv said:
5 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:
How is he a legend how many seasons was he at vale 1 or 2 

Am I not allowed legends as I see them? Record signing with the unenviable task of replacing McArthy and Guppy who had just left. 55 games across the season, culminating in player of the season which was an integral part in keeping us up whilst Stoke went down, and a 2 million transfer to the top division thereafter. Not that I need to justify it, but for me that's more than enough for him to be a legend for me.

Fully agreed, Ainsworth was with us for s short period of time, but he did so much that he deserves to be considered a Vale legend.  I remember him as an all action player who would give everything for the shirt.  You could guarantee that at the end of any game Ainsworth's kit would be the dirtiest of any of the players on the pitch.  I was so sad when he was sold and, in my opinion, that sale marked the turning point and a decline in the overall fortunes of the club.

I cannot think of another player who had such a positive impact on the club in such a short Vale career, and that is why I have such good memories nearly a quarter of a century later.

Advert

12 hours ago, Quebec_Valiant said:

Fully agreed, Ainsworth was with us for s short period of time, but he did so much that he deserves to be considered a Vale legend.  I remember him as an all action player who would give everything for the shirt.  You could guarantee that at the end of any game Ainsworth's kit would be the dirtiest of any of the players on the pitch.  I was so sad when he was sold and, in my opinion, that sale marked the turning point and a decline in the overall fortunes of the club.

I cannot think of another player who had such a positive impact on the club in such a short Vale career, and that is why I have such good memories nearly a quarter of a century later.

Ainsworth is up there as one of my favourite Vale players of all time. He was extremely talented and a Premier League standard player. For example - miles better than Worrall, Massey and Robinson!

He had a positive that was possibly a negative for his career and injuries. That is he would run through tackles and not back off at all. That may have resulted in him getting injured as his career progressed when he reached top level with Wimbledon - in the 1990's a top level team. 

14 hours ago, saintvaliant said:

The one he missed last night was because the centre half had spent the previous 5 seconds trying to relieve Ellis of his shirt. Was a stonewall pen because it prevented him fully getting to the ball rather than having to lunge at it.

Yeah, was definitely a penalty but none of our players really tried to appeal for it. Even Harrison's appeal attempt was half-hearted.

2 hours ago, Warren said:

Ainsworth is up there as one of my favourite Vale players of all time. He was extremely talented and a Premier League standard player. For example - miles better than Worrall, Massey and Robinson!

He had a positive that was possibly a negative for his career and injuries. That is he would run through tackles and not back off at all. That may have resulted in him getting injured as his career progressed when he reached top level with Wimbledon - in the 1990's a top level team. 

That positive meant he often managed to get a cross in from the by-line that wouldn't seem possible. To be fair, all of the 96-98 squad are Vale heroes in my book and probably the best players to don the Vale shirt. 

23 hours ago, Warren said:

When the ball is in our box we often have 9 outfield players and the goalie in there. So only 1 target upfield for headed clearances. I feel the opposition teams, including Wycombe last night, are often so big that's the only way to cope. 

We have been the victim of two stupendous shots recently. Ipswich goal 2 and Wycombe goal 2. Sometimes we just have to give credit to the attacker. 

or they could bring the ball down control it and lay it off! 😁

13 hours ago, fuzzyvalefan said:
18 hours ago, Hot Rat said:
That positive meant he often managed to get a cross in from the by-line that wouldn't seem possible. To be fair, all of the 96-98 squad are Vale heroes in my book and probably the best players to don the Vale shirt. 

Even Jermain Holwyn?

I'll get my coat. 😅

• 3 months later...

Speaking on Ainsworth, Barton said: “Today [December 26] was a game in a way that we really shouldn’t have lost, especially after going 1-0 up, but you have got to give credit to Gareth Ainsworth.

“He has been here for years, has kept them up, got them to the Championship, and if he had a better style of football, he probably would have got a bigger job than this.

I've put this on another thread but imagine having horrid Joey Barton as your manager? He'll never manage in the Championship and isn't fit to lace Gareths boots

Archived