onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Will Forrester

ClntonBoulton

3 hours ago, hamilboy said:

Which Sproson.

I only remember Roy as manager, just missed him as a player. He did take me into the changing room after a match when I was about 6, maybe 7, to meet the players. I remember it mainly because most of the players were still pretty naked, so wouldn't be allowed now. So definitely Phil.

Advert

18 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

I would say tbat he is more like a poor mans Neil Aspin.

Peak Aspin was deceptively quick for a centrehalf of his era. He looked like a carthorse when he ran but actually covered ground a lot quicker than Dean Glover. He played almost as much at fullback as centrehalf and rarely got done for pace.  He was pretty happy to mix it with big strikers but when he won a header the ball used to fly off at weird angles. Where the ball ended up just seemed completely random. I think his pace and inability to head a ball in a straight line were the reasons we often kept him out of the penalty area for corners, which explains why he only scored 3 times in over 400 games. In terms of determination and fearlessness there are similarities. There may be an argument that late career Aspin became more like Smith when he'd lost half a yard and became more of a grappler who stopped big forwards winning clear headers. Despite Sproson being left footed still think he was more like Smith in style. Both also have decent goal scoring records from corners, despite being quite short compared to most centrehalves.

We'll know when Forrester has reached the standard of Dean Glover when he starts taking a book onto the pitch with him to relieve the boredom.  Classic quote from the Seth team back in the day, and it still makes me smile when I think of it.  Deano was a very cultured defender, and if Will turns out to be that good, we will have ourselves an absolute steal.

1 hour ago, Lornelounger said:

We'll know when Forrester has reached the standard of Dean Glover when he starts taking a book onto the pitch with him to relieve the boredom.  Classic quote from the Seth team back in the day, and it still makes me smile when I think of it.  Deano was a very cultured defender, and if Will turns out to be that good, we will have ourselves an absolute steal.

I liked the Sproson/Hazell partnership but the most exciting one was Aspin/Glover some fantastic memories there,so as you say if Forrester comes good then yes a bargain and a potential big sale at some point

Archived