Underated players

Walka003

Seeing Theo Vassell playing for Salford had me thinking. Are there any players that you really liked that never seemed to get the recognition?

For me there's a few in the last few years:

Connell Rawlinson - thought he was very steady and a better option in the middle along side Smith during his season with us. I was amazed when we didn't keep him on.

Kjell Knopps - such a shame he had the personal issues back home, i think he would have been a very steady left side of a back three/left back

Anthony De Freitas - enjoyed watching ADF, think if we'd had him at 18 and he had more time to get used to English football, we'd have had a very good player on our hands.

Advert:

Agree with your 3.
I'd also say Brisley, although he can't get a sniff at Wrexham.
Also felt Ben Williamson was much maligned but his electric pace made him a good option.
With you on Brisley, very much in the Rawlinson mould.

Can't get on board with Williamson, major headless chicken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

With you on Brisley, very much in the Rawlinson mould.

Can't get on board with Williamson, major headless chicken

Thought Knopps would have made it . Williamson not prolific but he has scored more than quite a few we have had, wouldnt get in our current side.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Agree with your 3.

I'd also say Brisley, although he can't get a sniff at Wrexham.

Also felt Ben Williamson was much maligned but his electric pace made him a good option.

Yes I thought brisley was a big part of our run last year. Felt sorry for him when released

Edited by Hoppers
  • Like 1

Advert:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Seeing Theo Vassell playing for Salford had me thinking. Are there any players that you really liked that never seemed to get the recognition?

Connell Rawlinson - thought he was very steady and a better option in the middle along side Smith during his season with us. I was amazed when we didn't keep him on.

Kjell Knopps - such a shame he had the personal issues back home, i think he would have been a very steady left side of a back three/left back

Anthony De Freitas - enjoyed watching ADF, think if we'd had him at 18 and he had more time to get used to English football, we'd have had a very good player on our hands.

Vassell has always played well against us, not on Tuesday though.

Thought Knopps had a career ending injury?

Edited by Guitar Ray

I think he had an injury but not career ending. He's still playing now. If my memory serves he wanted to go back to Holland because someone close to him had terminal illness.
  • Like 1

Advert:

I think of those mentioned only Vassell is playing in the league.
Yeah its a fair point, not sure it means a lot though. Untill Connor Hall got promoted with Harrogate, he'd never played in the league. Now were all talking about him being arguable our best defender.

54 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:
I think of those mentioned only Vassell is playing in the league.

Yeah its a fair point, not sure it means a lot though. Untill Connor Hall got promoted with Harrogate, he'd never played in the league. Now were all talking about him being arguable our best defender.

I guess Williamson can be excused as he's 33 although in fairness he's been playing non-league for a good while. 

8 hours ago, Walka003 said:

jordan hugill?

Advert:

6 hours ago, ginginator said:

of the older players Kevin Scott was a player, who helped us big time, not underated but I dont think he was in our budget

Absolutely one of the best iv ever seen play for us. Would have been immense if we could have afforded him 👍👍👍

6 hours ago, Walka003 said:
6 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think he had an injury but not career ending. He's still playing now. If my memory serves he wanted to go back to Holland because someone close to him had terminal illness.

Having looked, you are correct, seems like he’s still playing his trade.  He did have a bad knee injury, then further complications, and I remember he trained a bit with us after that but my memory of it was that he wasn’t up to playing full time in the English game.