onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

Advert

13 hours ago, ginge said:

He is Asian. A lot of this is to do with the systemic racism towards black people specifically.

I was asked had i spoke to anybody from a BAME background, the question didn't specify BLACK hence my reply that yes i have spoken to someone.

59 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I was asked had i spoke to anybody from a BAME background, the question didn't specify BLACK hence my reply that yes i have spoken to someone.

woooah woooah, calm down... no one is making an accusation.

Ginge is simply pointing out that although your friend is of BAME background, they are not within the sub group who are facing this issue in the US right now. Absolutely they will have valid experiences and challenges which should all be considered important and sorted out, but their particular challenges are not based on the same issues as Black people in the US .

Maybe talking to someone who is black would help you understand it from their point of view.

IC i have one black friend who is quite a well known local goalkeeper in Saturday/Sunday circles.

I've not spoken with him specifically on this matter but in the past if ever we spoke on more serious issues he has never been prejudiced against to my knowledge.

He's always been one of the gang and i can only speak personally but i have never seen anyone or hear anyone be prejudiced against him, that also applied to opposition teams. Had there been then there would of been hell to pay.

However sadly he probably has experienced it and kept it to himself as he is a quiet unassuming character. 

30 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

IC i have one black friend who is quite a well known local goalkeeper in Saturday/Sunday circles.

I've not spoken with him specifically on this matter but in the past if ever we spoke on more serious issues he has never been prejudiced against to my knowledge.

He's always been one of the gang and i can only speak personally but i have never seen anyone or hear anyone be prejudiced against him, that also applied to opposition teams. Had there been then there would of been hell to pay.

However sadly he probably has experienced it and kept it to himself as he is a quiet unassuming character. 

Yeah that's the big challenge I think, and demonstrates the problem ... a black guy who is one of the gang, people love him, and when he is with his mates he is in a safe space. The question is whether he is prejudiced against when outside of that circle, in work, in life... he may not be. But there are many many people who are. Its so sad.

If you have Netflix I really recommend watching "The 13th"... its super interesting.

The first 10 mins explain:

As of Today, the USA has 5% of the worlds population, but 25% of the worlds prisoners (Land of the Free!!!)

Then Slavery ended compensation was paid to the slave OWNERS (This was also done in the UK and the equivalent of £17bn was paid out)

There was an exception clause for Slavery and that was if people were criminals

The Economic performance of the deep south nosedived as Slaves were no longer working to drive production

In order to to boost production, ex slaves were arrested in huge numbers for misdemeanours such as Loitering, littering, looking at people funny... any reason whatsoever to put them in prison. That meant they could legally be put back to work as slaves. This was when the % of incarcerated people in the US started its crazy upward journey.

A film was released at the time called "Birth of a nation"... It depicted black people as unintelligent savages, rapists, thieves and criminals. The film was a huge success all over America. It portrayed the KKK as the heroes of the day rounding up the savages. The film itself introduced the concept of the burning cross.

From that moment on the depiction of black people as savage criminals grew and grew and the Lynchings started.

When Black communities left the deep south to go to NY, Boston, Chicago etc etc they didn't go for economical gain, they were refugees from violence... unfortunately their manufactured reputation followed them.

That lead to them not being able to find jobs, being outcast, hated.... no wonder they struggled as a class of people to find good jobs, escape poverty  and prosper. Those disadvantages then snowballed through generation after generation.... Much like how we don't live in stately homes because we are not part of that world, neither were they part of the free america that allowed people to prosper.

Seriously, its a great watch and very thought provoking.

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'll have to scan youtube, stuff like Netflix, Prime have had to go due to my personal situation whilst Covid is still affecting people financially.

Hopefully you can find it somewhere.

Fingers crossed things get back to normal soon!

Archived