onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

46 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Your Privilege is that you are not instantly tarred with a negative brush.  

If you take out the "not" that's exactly what happens here.

To offer an example or two.

I have to report to immigration every 90 days... if I stay overnight in a different location, apart from a hotel, I have to report it to immigration... when driving I am far more likely to be pulled over by the police,.... some areas my UK driving licence is acceptable in others it isn't..... the likelyhood of me winning a court case against a Thai is about zero even if the judge agrees with the evidence.... I could go on.

I'm not suggesting there is no discrimination...... I've seen it first hand and I find it sickening..... both my parents hated foreigners,  they were appalled when I married two..... I could tell you a story about my short spell in London in the mid sixties but it would make this post far to long.

Advert

13 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I haven’t branded you either of those things... I have branded you as someone who doesn’t understand the problem.

You can say that you do, and I’m sure in your head you do... the problem is your life experience is nothing like those of the people actually facing the issue. Your ability to empathise is zero. As is most people. 

Have you ever sat down and asked someone from a BAME background their view on this and what it means to them... I have, it was f*****g terrifying to hear it from their point of view. And this guys is a very senior, very successful Ex Olympian who works for the same company as me... he broke down and cried when describing the challenges faced.

The thought of someone asking him “yeah yeah but why do you get the MOBOS” is so cringeworthy, so embarrassing, so far from the actual point I can’t even comprehend it. 

Yes I have spoken with someone from a BAME background. A friend of mine who works for the Fire Service. He is of Asian parentage and he is actually appalled that neither of his parents speak English and never wanted to, so he has spent much of his life acting as an interpreter for his family in order to sort mundane things out instead of furthering himself. 

The narrative in the media over the BLM protests seem to be avoiding umpteen vile stories. 

Disabled woman attacked in a wheelchair 

White lorry driver dragged out of his wagon by a baying mob 

Black demonstrator setting fire to the union jack

MP Dawn Butler revelling in the scenes and refusing to condemn it

Mercedes showroom targeted and vehicles set alight and also driven through showroom windows. 

I think you will be surprised how many people are against these protests and the complete disregard for Covid-19 by these idiots is a smack in the face for people shielding and who can't go out of the house or indeed people like myself who have had the disease albeit very mildly .

Be interesting if there is any spike but then again it will be the fault of somebody else . 

9 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

I’ve always said education or lack of it has been the main issue re discrimination.I’m convinced the very young kids of today  will be the torchbearers for change.Are they now teaching about racism and how bad it is in schools?If not why not?Having been brought up in the 50s and 60s I witnessed horrendous scenes in the USA and shockingly bad attitudes towards black people.I actually thought it was fear driven in Britain. A lot of our parents would have tried to guard their kids against the unknown. The amount of black people in Stoke was only a few and mainly lived in Cobridge..I didn’t and couldn’t see the problem personally and had a lot of mates who were black.

I met my son’s mum ,who is black, in 1975 and still ,although we are not together,we keep in touch.

Fast forward to now.The kids of today don’t give a s**t about colour,race,creed etc. My grandson(white) goes to cricket ,football,has sleepovers with his best mate who is black.

Unfortuneatly protests normally end in violence,as has been the case.Calm heads are needed .I’ll leave it to the kids.The Kids Are Alright.

Without black people we wouldn’t have The Blues.What a s**t world that would be .

If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Hi all,

I wanted to post this in here but it can apply in several other threads.

I tend to stay out of off-topic threads and not read threads such as Brexit and this one. It's simply a personal preference because I tend to get very involved and will spend hours arguing in them.

The reason I am telling you this is to remind you that the moderator team don't read every post and thread. Please don't assume that if something that breaks our rules (personal abuse being one example) will be picked up by the team.

If there is something you don't like and want action on, please report the post using the orange "Report" button at the top of each post.

This doesn't just apply to this thread but I thought this was a good place to remind people that the moderators are all unpaid volunteers and don't always have the time to look at everything which is posted on here.

Thanks,

Rob

39 minutes ago, geosname said:

More than enough. Not so much stop and search but stop and question.

Never, but no one should have to justify they are not. It should be classified as a crime.

Who is the "we" you talk about. I see the crime, the colour of the perpetrators skin is immaterial. Because some hierarchical ass or a newspaper label it doesn't make it so..... if I were to label knife crime I would lean more towards youth than black..... but even that wouldn't be accurate.

Were your stop and questions gentle, inquisitive, were you searched? Cuffs put on? 

You got the nail on the head... NO ONE should have to justify they are not a criminal... but the BAME community are giving examples over and over again where the immediate reaction is that they are... the bloke I work with is one of the best dressed, suave, gentle, intelligent and successful bloke I know... he has been stopped numerous and told they believed he was carrying drugs.

You asked what your white privilege Is... this is one example... you have never had to justify yourself against a crime of which your background has the majority of perpetrators ... he has. A lot.

The “we” is the media, large sections of society and even some people on this message board.

If that’s not you then great. But do you believe there is no issue, do you believe society can’t do better for equality for BAME people?

27 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Were your stop and questions gentle, inquisitive, were you searched? Cuffs put on? 

You got the nail on the head... NO ONE should have to justify they are not a criminal... but the BAME community are giving examples over and over again where the immediate reaction is that they are... the bloke I work with is one of the best dressed, suave, gentle, intelligent and successful bloke I know... he has been stopped numerous and told they believed he was carrying drugs.

You asked what your white privilege Is... this is one example... you have never had to justify yourself against a crime of which your background has the majority of perpetrators ... he has. A lot.

The “we” is the media, large sections of society and even some people on this message board.

If that’s not you then great. But do you believe there is no issue, do you believe society can’t do better for equality for BAME people?

No....yes....yes...... yes but we are going back some years.... I learned early on not to talk to the police.

In my opinion stop and search is a bad concept, it creates more problems than it solves..... it starts with the assumption of guilt, I would suggest that the vast majority of stop and search events don't have any reasonable suspicion let alone evidence and more to do with police control than anything else.... which is another topic.

In my youth, some would class as misspent, there were very few ethnic minorities around stoke..... who do you think the police targeted?...... it's on a different scale now than then and it wasn't called profiling.

It isn't me by any measure.......

Of course there is an issue..... several in fact.

I would hope that society could/should do better...... the only answer is total inclusion and equality in my opinion..... easy to say damned difficult to achieve. It sadly wont happen in my lifetime, i doubt my kids will see it.... perhaps my great grandkids might see a glimmer of it

4 minutes ago, geosname said:

I would hope that society could/should do better...... the only answer is total inclusion and equality in my opinion..... easy to say damned difficult to achieve. It sadly wont happen in my lifetime, i doubt my kids will see it.... perhaps my great grandkids might see a glimmer of it

Fingers crossed! 

3 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

You made a statement and also labelled the protesters as idiots....  what's your point?  What does this prove, disprove? Or are you simply letting us know in which case why the use of the word idiots?

At least have the balls to say outright whatever it is that's festering away in your mind.

Firstly to wander on to a motorway in the face of traffic travelling at 70-80mph classes you as an idiot in my book,wouldn't you agree ? and I would like to know by doing that and risking not only their own lives, but of the motorists as well, what it achieved ? What did it achieve ? Other than publicity.

How is it going to make the difference to the message that BLM are trying to get across to the public who don't understand the importance of BLM ?

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

White lorry driver dragged out of his wagon by a baying mob 

Since you didn’t leave links, I tried to find some of the things you were talking about.

I picked this out because it sounded familiar. Is this the one where the lorry driver tried to drive into the protestors and had been arrested? 

No idea what to do about police policy, knife crime or anything like that.

Was shocked to see a statue pulled down in this country by protestors but see that was a statue of a literal slave trader (rather than some long dead person who once said something controversial or whatever) so fair enough. The Churchill statue defacer is a tool.

Anyway football, the Premier League is about 30% black but there are only a handful of black managers in work. Black players say they don't see the point in taking coaching badges cuz they don't believe they'll be given a fair shake due to their skin colour. It took former England captain Sol Campbell many years to get a chance, and that was at a tinpoint club right at the bottom of League Two. Meanwhile the likes of Lampard and Gerrard walk straight into top jobs.

How to combat this? The NFL's Rooney Rule. A club has to interview a black man for the vacant managerial/coaching role (I guess if they are headhunting one specific in work manager and pay compensation to the club then they will be exempt). Just an interview, that's all. They just have to hear what they have to say and if they think a white candidate is a better fit then no problem.

It works in the NFL and I believe it would work in football here. I'm not advocating this for all walks of life, just for Premier League and EFL management/coaching jobs. Nothing too radical but I'm sure the numbers would be boosted and in 5-10 years we wouldn't have to have the discussion of "why aren't there any black managers about?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule

Archived