Ale and the Vale Podcast

On 24/01/2021 at 21:20, PV1973 said:

FWIW I didn’t agree with Jonnys score of 0. I’m not sure where he pulled that one from, but at the same time he wasn’t as high as a 7 which would have put him on a par with Conlon. Maybe it was based on him giving the ball away occasionally, but show me a player who doesn’t do that. 

I do believe that the full back areas haven’t been as productive as previous seasons in terms of assists and link up play, but I must add that I  didn’t like to see the abuse that was going Mills’ way on social media from fans as well. I think that’s uncalled for but it’s becoming the norm in this day and age. But it’s a also a sign of the discontent amongst fans and that scapegoat culture we seem to have here. 

Keep up the good work mate. 

Yeah he was ok. I like my 6 now I've thought about it and I'm sticking to it! The scapegoat culture you speak of is a shame, I don't understand it. I try and give every player a blank slate before the start of every game, and judge them on the 90 mins they play. I'm looking forward to Gibbo being back soon (I see he isn't starting tonight), but the main thing Gibbo also needs to work on is his distribution. Monty and Gibbo back at full-back will be a welcome sight for me when it happens.

Advert:

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers for the feedback. A few points here.  1) Can't help my accent I'm afraid. 2) I live in north London and very occasionally watch Arsenal with my father in law. 3) I don't know how

I know some find Clarke a bit outspoken but he's spot on about the weaknesses in the squad. It is unbalanced. We've never had a midfield physical presence since Grant left and are soft centred. No rea

Not quite sure what the point is of coming onto a thread and start sl@gging off a brilliant podcast which gives a fresh and original view on the vale. By all means, stop listening but not sure wh

47 minutes ago, stupers said:

Thanks for all the feedback we've had about the pod we released on Monday that included a section of mental health. There's been a few people reach out after the episode to talk about things and how it resonated with them. If we got one person talking, it was all worth it. 

I haven’t listened to this one yet, but I did mention a while back how good it was that one you lads was so open about his mental health when chatting, and you all spoke about it with no stigma, like you would about any illness. The perfect platform for this kind of conversation to happen. Keep up the great work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stupers said:

Yeah he was ok. I like my 6 now I've thought about it and I'm sticking to it! The scapegoat culture you speak of is a shame, I don't understand it. I try and give every player a blank slate before the start of every game, and judge them on the 90 mins they play. I'm looking forward to Gibbo being back soon (I see he isn't starting tonight), but the main thing Gibbo also needs to work on is his distribution. Monty and Gibbo back at full-back will be a welcome sight for me when it happens.

There have actually been some worse performers  than Mills IMO, smith tonight springs to mind. Gibbo lifted us in tenacity and tempo tonight but we shouldn’t be just relying on full backs to get the team going. But unfortunately that’s how we’re set up to play and without the Gibbo / Clark / Monty link up play I think we’ve struggled. 

It's the Scunthorpe review.

Another dismal away performance leads to another 2-0 defeat. We went 4-4-2 from the start but it didn't jolt the team into life. Very few clear cut chances created and soft goals conceded. Where do we go from here? Have we overestimated the squad quality? No Stu tonight but Jonny and Bez dissect the game and the give their thoughts. 

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Advert:

47 minutes ago, stupers said:

Have we overestimated the squad quality?

Yeah I think so.

Rodney, Conlon, Taylor, Gibbons, Smith have all been touted as superb players who'll go on to better things. Add Hurst to that list too if you want.

Perhaps 1 or even 2 might make it to the Championship. Perhaps 0.

Worrall and Montano are quality League Two players still in their prime. But other than the young lads the rest are either past it (injury or age) or never had it to begin with.

The squad is in need of a rebuild but we haven't even got a manager in place to do the building. And we don't seem any closer to appointing one than when Askey left.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stupers said:

Have we overestimated the squad quality?

Probably, a bit. But no way should we be this crap with the players at hand. A bit of organization. A bit of motivation. A bit of getting the basics right.  A bit of leadership. Is it too much to ask? 

I dont think we have massively over rated them. This is league 2. There’s a lot of average footballers in this league. I think its under performance and allowing the core of the side to age without replacing them. We have come nowhere near to finding a like for like replacement for pope, Joyce, legge etc. Askey strengthened the bench while the key players got a year older. 

Advert:

This wasn’t publicised by Manny was it? I’d heard he wanted it kept secret out of respect for his Mrs. 

Edited by PV1973

This wasn’t publicised by Manny was it? I’d heard he wanted it kept secret out of respect for his Mrs. 

No it was another “leak” or “rumour” that keep seemingly slipping out the club!

Like Monty had a knock which an hour later transpired to be Covid!

20 hours ago, toyahw said:

Appreciate the efforts Stu, but we are such a bloody shambles I can't bare to listen. I'd rather try to forget it,

I only uploaded it, I was rather glad myself that I couldn't join in!

So someones just let something out in to the public domain that Manny didnt want out there. Sound.

Advert:

11 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

@stupers another cracking pod this morning! Did I hear you right that Manny hasn't been injured?

Sorry, I didn't listen to all of it and I wasn't on the recording! I've checked and Jonny said it was in a Pugh interview. Not us leaking anything!

Edited by stupers

13 minutes ago, Walter said:
10 hours ago, PV1973 said:

So someones just let something out in to the public domain that Manny didnt want out there. Sound.

The podcast didn’t leak the reason why Manny was off.