onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Have we improved since Gannon left?

Chopper Harris

sorry guys, but if Gannon was anything remotely like as good as some of you seem to think, then he would have at least one consistent success somewhere in his track record. In my humble opinion, anyone who seriously thinks that playing a centre back as a defensive midfielder in front of a flat back four, with the consequence that they had no idea of what they were supposed to do, and basically got in the way, plus anyone who thinks Exodus Geohagon is a footballer is several open sandwiches short of a smorgasbord.......

and if you add to that, insisting that fitness was less important than watching tactical videos, and all the other idiotic things....

We may not be better now than we were then, but it's nothing to do with him.....for god's sake...anybody with half a brain can see that we've not got enough good players, and the ones we have aren't consistent - that's why we are in League 2 , otherwise we'd be in a higher league.

The question as to whether Adams has any better ideas isn't really what this is about - Gannon was, and still is, a very unpleasant character, guaranteed to be interested in one thing, and one thing only.....Jim Gannon.

Advert

Blue Square BET Premier - Updated 17/01/2012 HOME AWAY

Pos Name P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS

19 Stockport 29 3 4 7 17 21 1 7 7 12 27 -19 23

Jim Gannon is their manager !! Enough said .

All those below Strockport in the BSB league have games in hand on Stockport.

Gannon may well have been right about what he said about the Vale, the crux of the matter is that he wasnt the man to do anything about it.

Spot on......

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but i m going to say this anyway. I just want to know how have we improved since Jim Gannon left? Have we even improved since Jim Gannon left?

My feelings are that Jim came to the club at the wrong time. But everything that he said about the club has been right.

--Roberts was more interested in going to the pub than playing football.

--As a club we weren't playing decent attractive football.

--We had little or no awareness of tactics.

--As a club we weren't coaching players properly and players weren't improving. (I think he right with the exception of Griff).

--Coaches were too close to the team and also had insufficient coaching badges.

--The way forward was to blood new young players like Morsy and train them hopefully improve them.

--And the main one, most of the team simply weren't good enough and thought they were better than they were.

The last one for me is the key. The players, fans (me included) and the Horse and Grewy all had blinkers on and we thought we were much better than we were. Nobody thought Jim was speaking sense and thought that he belonged in the local asylum. I do think Jim is an abrasive man but i get the feeling that part of the reason for why he hated so much was because of this arrogance at the club by the players, fans and coaching staff. If only they had listened to him. They simply didn't want to know or hear what Jim had to say. Is it any wonder he got a bit angry? I know i would be if i felt my position was being undermined.

His assessment of the club has been proved right and i bet any money even if MA had stayed last season and not gone to Sheff Utd teams would have found us out. Lets face it, it is hardly difficult to see our tactics. If Jim had been given time and had been able to bring in players who were prepared to listen and didn't think they were the best thing since sliced bread then i think he could be doing a lot better job than MA.

MA has been terrible this season. The players were crying out for him and how have they responded? They have been no better under Adams than under Gannon. Roberts proved that Adams has made no difference whatsoever and carried on regardless. Performances are terrible and our tactics are the same lump the ball upfield and hope. Virtually all the problems on the field have been created by MA and he seems to have no answers for it. He extended the contracts of players who aren't good enough. Players like Haldane, Dodds and Rob Taylor. He tells the team how to play. He signed players in the summer who hardly play even when we are meant to be down to the bare bones. Players under Adams have gone backwards Tommo, Mccombe, Owen etc.

He is calling performances excellent when we have lost at home to Wimbledon who haven't bleeding won in ages. I don't care if we played like bleeding the 1970 Brazilian team, the bottom line is we lost to Wimbledon who didn't even exist a few years ago. We don't even look like winning a game against teams that should be thrashed. MA is deluded. If Jim Gannon was in charge then the supporters would have been calling for his head.

This club is crying out for change. (I m not even to start ranting about the board i will be here all night). We have one of the highest wage bills in League two and our position should reflect that. I pay money to be entertained and I either find Mickey's brand of football too defensive or boring. At least Jim Gannon's ideals are free flowing passing football. I really do wish Jim had brought in his philosophies in slower and had not been so hasty. We are crying out for someone like him and some attractive football.

In my opinion MA means well but we haven't gone anywhere under his managerial leadership. I genuinely believe he didn't join the board in the summer other than to facilitate the signing of players. But on the field is he really going to be the man who gets us promotion?

Good shout chap, let's face this; If you were at work and got wind of financial troubles would your motivation and focus be affected by the thought you may not get paid at the end of the month OR worse still get the boot? I know it'd affect me...

That aside, I do also think some of the players you have mentioned have either played through injury or come back too early because of the thread bare squad we have (Mccombe & Owen) this doesn't lend itself to a significant level of performance of a top 7 team.

It starts at the back, our defending (collectively) has been woeful, look back at the last 2 months... Defensive error after defensive error all that after a virtually impenetrable defence for 1 3rd of the previous season with the same players... I just don't get the WHY?!?

Some teams do it, such as Accrington. To the question, no we havnt improved at all, Gannon was right in everything he said but as people have said went about it completely wrong.

That for me is what should hurt the current players the most as you would thing they would be dying to prove Gannon wrong but they just seem way too comfortable, devoid of pride and nowhere near as honed as they were at the start of last season.

If I had an employer that ran me down as much as Gannon did last season I would be determined to make him eat his words but their performances and results have been woeful at the end of last season following Gannon's departure and to date this season in general.

I remember Lee Collins saying he was going to be awesome when hearing of Micky returning but the players (virtually the same squad) simply haven't delivered and whether they like it or not they owe the fans a great debt for their abject failures.

good grief.....it's like some folk on here are being nostalgic about a time when we actually had the hope of promotion and playoffs seriously snuffed out by a combination of awful tactics, appalling management and a total misreading of the squad's ability.....if we had Barcelona's players, we'd be able to play the way they do.....or Arsenal's or any other top team......

I'm not calling us "little Port Vale" but we just didn't have the players to play that way, and only a pig-headed idiot like Gannon would carry on with a failed experiment, just to make a point.....

Good shout chap, let's face this; If you were at work and got wind of financial troubles would your motivation and focus be affected by the thought you may not get paid at the end of the month OR worse still get the boot? I know it'd affect me...

That aside, I do also think some of the players you have mentioned have either played through injury or come back too early because of the thread bare squad we have (Mccombe & Owen) this doesn't lend itself to a significant level of performance of a top 7 team.

It starts at the back, our defending (collectively) has been woeful, look back at the last 2 months... Defensive error after defensive error all that after a virtually impenetrable defence for 1 3rd of the previous season with the same players... I just don't get the WHY?!?

To add Gannon may have had a point but was never the man for our club and wouldn't wish him on any football club.

Good shout chap, let's face this; If you were at work and got wind of financial troubles would your motivation and focus be affected by the thought you may not get paid at the end of the month OR worse still get the boot? I know it'd affect me.

To be honest having been in exactly that position it should make an succesful person absolutely determined to perform at their pinnacle to ensure they are indispensible to the employer. Most of our current squad certainly don't seem to have a positive mentality.

I agree entirely chopper.

I always maintained that he could be a success if he was given the freedom and platform to mould the playing side into what he wanted, bring in the backroom staff he wanted I believe we would be much better of with a pattern of play and be developing players who will be attracting interest from a higher level.

He was too intelligent for the players, coaching staff and fans.

It transpires he was a filthy racist, I would hardly call racists clever. I think that was his main problem, he thought he was too clever for his own good.

The man should not people manage full stop, he should be locked up in a padded cell to talk to himself for the next 60 years, bonkers he is! :D

I can't believe how stupid some fans are. This thread sums up vale fans.

Gannon is and was an idiot. Nothing he said or did was right. Now lee sinnott on the other hand

Lee Sinnott was another madman who believed his own hype and wandered round playing imaginary golf in the corridors of the main stand allday thinking he was going to be the next England manager. Another loon who was madder than a frog playing a banjo whilst watching teddy bears dancing to the theme tune of Rainbow!

sorry guys, but if Gannon was anything remotely like as good as some of you seem to think, then he would have at least one consistent success somewhere in his track record. In my humble opinion, anyone who seriously thinks that playing a centre back as a defensive midfielder in front of a flat back four, with the consequence that they had no idea of what they were supposed to do, and basically got in the way, plus anyone who thinks Exodus Geohagon is a footballer is several open sandwiches short of a smorgasbord.......

and if you add to that, insisting that fitness was less important than watching tactical videos, and all the other idiotic things....

We may not be better now than we were then, but it's nothing to do with him.....for god's sake...anybody with half a brain can see that we've not got enough good players, and the ones we have aren't consistent - that's why we are in League 2 , otherwise we'd be in a higher league.

The question as to whether Adams has any better ideas isn't really what this is about - Gannon was, and still is, a very unpleasant character, guaranteed to be interested in one thing, and one thing only.....Jim Gannon.

Fergie has played defenders in midfield, Gannon's record at Stockport was brilliant, after being at the bottom of the league most of the season Gannon took over at christmas when they looked certainties for relegation and kept them in the football league, the season after they missed out on the play offs on the last match of the season, season after that he got them promoted. On a very tight budget just from bringing in youth team players one of which is now playing in the premier league. He did a good job at Motherwell and got them playing good football, again by bringing in youth players.

What amazes me is that people like you can't see that Mickey aint got a clue, tactics, man management. When was the last time you saw Vale score off a in direct set piece or a corner? And how many goals do we concede through in direct set pieces and corners? Its the basics of football and Mickey can't do it.

Fergie has played defenders in midfield, Gannon's record at Stockport was brilliant, after being at the bottom of the league most of the season Gannon took over at christmas when they looked certainties for relegation and kept them in the football league, the season after they missed out on the play offs on the last match of the season, season after that he got them promoted. On a very tight budget just from bringing in youth team players one of which is now playing in the premier league. He did a good job at Motherwell and got them playing good football, again by bringing in youth players.

What amazes me is that people like you can't see that Mickey aint got a clue, tactics, man management. When was the last time you saw Vale score off a in direct set piece or a corner? And how many goals do we concede through in direct set pieces and corners? Its the basics of football and Mickey can't do it.

How do you explain when we were top if he has no clue?

Lets face it Adams found a couple of players in Mad Joe and Mary Williams to actually improve the side and provide a launching pad.

What happens? The money has been disappeared.

So we are not back to square 1 but a lot before it.

So basically we is stuffed innit.

As for signing cack players Liverpool spent £33 million on a drunk geordie. So even the best managers can **** up.

Archived