onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Have we improved since Gannon left?

Chopper Harris

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but i m going to say this anyway. I just want to know how have we improved since Jim Gannon left? Have we even improved since Jim Gannon left?

My feelings are that Jim came to the club at the wrong time. But everything that he said about the club has been right.

--Roberts was more interested in going to the pub than playing football.

--As a club we weren't playing decent attractive football.

--We had little or no awareness of tactics.

--As a club we weren't coaching players properly and players weren't improving. (I think he right with the exception of Griff).

--Coaches were too close to the team and also had insufficient coaching badges.

--The way forward was to blood new young players like Morsy and train them hopefully improve them.

--And the main one, most of the team simply weren't good enough and thought they were better than they were.

The last one for me is the key. The players, fans (me included) and the Horse and Grewy all had blinkers on and we thought we were much better than we were. Nobody thought Jim was speaking sense and thought that he belonged in the local asylum. I do think Jim is an abrasive man but i get the feeling that part of the reason for why he hated so much was because of this arrogance at the club by the players, fans and coaching staff. If only they had listened to him. They simply didn't want to know or hear what Jim had to say. Is it any wonder he got a bit angry? I know i would be if i felt my position was being undermined.

His assessment of the club has been proved right and i bet any money even if MA had stayed last season and not gone to Sheff Utd teams would have found us out. Lets face it, it is hardly difficult to see our tactics. If Jim had been given time and had been able to bring in players who were prepared to listen and didn't think they were the best thing since sliced bread then i think he could be doing a lot better job than MA.

MA has been terrible this season. The players were crying out for him and how have they responded? They have been no better under Adams than under Gannon. Roberts proved that Adams has made no difference whatsoever and carried on regardless. Performances are terrible and our tactics are the same lump the ball upfield and hope. Virtually all the problems on the field have been created by MA and he seems to have no answers for it. He extended the contracts of players who aren't good enough. Players like Haldane, Dodds and Rob Taylor. He tells the team how to play. He signed players in the summer who hardly play even when we are meant to be down to the bare bones. Players under Adams have gone backwards Tommo, Mccombe, Owen etc.

He is calling performances excellent when we have lost at home to Wimbledon who haven't bleeding won in ages. I don't care if we played like bleeding the 1970 Brazilian team, the bottom line is we lost to Wimbledon who didn't even exist a few years ago. We don't even look like winning a game against teams that should be thrashed. MA is deluded. If Jim Gannon was in charge then the supporters would have been calling for his head.

This club is crying out for change. (I m not even to start ranting about the board i will be here all night). We have one of the highest wage bills in League two and our position should reflect that. I pay money to be entertained and I either find Mickey's brand of football too defensive or boring. At least Jim Gannon's ideals are free flowing passing football. I really do wish Jim had brought in his philosophies in slower and had not been so hasty. We are crying out for someone like him and some attractive football.

In my opinion MA means well but we haven't gone anywhere under his managerial leadership. I genuinely believe he didn't join the board in the summer other than to facilitate the signing of players. But on the field is he really going to be the man who gets us promotion?

Advert

The problem is that we, like the players have favorites. Glover never stood a chance as he was given the team half way through the season and like MA was not allowed to spend anything. I personally like MA but something needs to happen on the pitch we should be beating teams like Wimbledon even with the injuries and suspensions.

Our team is just better than them but we are not good enough to go up at the moment.

But would gannon have extended the contracts of players who aren't good enough. I think he brought in ex because he knew him and he wanted someone in there who he could trust as the rest of the team were all too busy crying because Micky had left them. Gannon also used morsy and brought in o Shea who looked pretty good.

The problems with the squad and shortage of players is in part down to Adams he extended the contracts of players who aren't good enough haldane dodds etc. mickey was given a budget in the summer he should have signed better players and sorted a squad out in the summer capable of taking on the whole season.

we would have made the playoffs easily if it wasnt for off the pitch issues! madjo and Myrie-Williams made a huge difference, we would have had cover at left back with the loanee left back with more signings to come in Jan.

we went 4 unbeaten with before xmas, we would have gathered momentum deffinately and gone into 2012 really strong.

MA poor eye for players? craig davies was half decent wasn't he, bagging for barnsley. he brought pope in (who divides opinion) but he obviously has quality. Gannon was joker, and pillock. You won't get out of this league playing attractive football- need to play well structured footy, good at the back, organised midfield. NOT watching videos of barca instead of fitness training! Grewy and the Horse took 6 stone off the team when they took charge.

so in a word, no. good post though

Archived