Sign in to follow this  
RailwayRowdy

International call up game postponements. Why ?

This business of league games being called off due players international call ups really gets on my napper.

To some small degree I can just about accept the Greed Is Good League being postponed due to the sheer number of players absent. But even then they surely have large enough squads to cope.

The Championship also go AWOL just to seem important.

But looking at tomorrow’s league 1&2 programme and seeing EIGHT games postponed is not on.

5 League 1 games are off plus 3 in League 2. Including Stevenage v Oldham for God’s sake !

The time has now come for fixtures in all leagues to be completed irrespective of how many call ups these teams have. Newport for example now have to travel mid week to Grimsby for the re-arranged game !

The arrogance of these clubs to simply call these games off for such a trivial reason is quite astounding !

What do others think ?

• Like 1

I can understand it in the top flight but not below.

Then again, if they suddenly found Dave Worrall qualified for a Liechtenstein call up owing to an accident of birth in his lineage we'd be looking to get a Vale match postponed. 

27 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

I can understand it in the top flight but not below.

Then again, if they suddenly found Dave Worrall qualified for a Liechtenstein call up owing to an accident of birth in his lineage we'd be looking to get a Vale match postponed. 

Have the rules changed? I thought it was 3 players before a game could be called off.. 

I have heard a story that West Ham contacted the League back in 1966 to request a game be cancelled as Messrs Moore, Peters and Hurst had been quite busy over the summer and were in need of a rest at 5he start of the season.

Alan Hardaker the League Secretary advised that is what you have a reserve team for and promptly put the phone down!

• Haha 1

In the Stevenage v Oldham case I believe the 3 players concerned have not even been first team regulars for Stevenage and one represents an under 21 side. 

It is a massive con. 

8 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

In the Stevenage v Oldham case I believe the 3 players concerned have not even been first team regulars for Stevenage and one represents an under 21 side. 

It is a massive con. 

No surprise really. Stevenage are a scummy little club who cheat in every way possible to try and gain an advantage. The sooner they are relegated, the better. 

• Like 1

Guisley v Kidderminster Harriers is off. Kiddy have 4 players absent, two Bermudians, one Zimbabwean and an Australian. It would seriously weaken their team so I think it is right for them. 

48 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

No surprise really. Stevenage are a scummy little club who cheat in every way possible to try and gain an advantage. The sooner they are relegated, the better. 

I agree with the fact they are scummy , but how are they going to gain an advantage if none play anyway 

23 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

I have heard a story that West Ham contacted the League back in 1966 to request a game be cancelled as Messrs Moore, Peters and Hurst had been quite busy over the summer and were in need of a rest at 5he start of the season.

Alan Hardaker the League Secretary advised that is what you have a reserve team for and promptly put the phone down!

League games were all important back in the day.  I remember a story from early 1958 that MUFC had an away tie in the European Cup, which the league hated them competing in and had tried to block. They asked for some leeway, either a delay or fielding a weakened side. They were told if they didn't have their strongest team out at 3.00 on the Saturday there would be hell to pay. Reputedly  the reason the plane attempted to take off when obviously unsafe to do so - they just HAD to get back.  Result, dozens of deaths - bet they never even apologised either. Officials at that time were just so full of their own importance.