onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Peterborough confirm Vale interest in Morais plus “fee agreed” for Miller

News Feed

Peterborough United director of football Barry Fry has given an update to the media with a couple of comments bound to interest Vale fans. Port Vale have been strongly linked with forward duo Junior Morais and Ricky Miller who have both been transfer listed by Posh. Vale manager Neil AspinRead More →

The post Peterborough confirm Vale interest in Morais plus “fee agreed” for Miller appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

The guy Miller sounds like he’s at the last chance (ahem) saloon. Another Gary Roberts?

And if clubs like vale , who were so close to relegation last year, want to bring in players who could have a big impact, then sometimes those are the types of players you take a chance on. I don’t know much about him, but I’m open to such measures gambles in our postion.

And if clubs like vale , who were so close to relegation last year, want to bring in players who could have a big impact, then sometimes those are the types of players you take a chance on. I don’t know much about him, but I’m open to such measures gambles in our postion.

Having had one relegation and just avoided another by the skin of our teeth we aren't that attractive a proposition. If you are a recognised 20 goal a season striker in our division then there is no need for you to be currently looking at Port Vale, better options are available. So we rummage in the unlabelled tin basket hoping to fish out a tin of salmon rather than spam. We look at these type of signings thinking oh no another gamble. I am sure players look at us in much the same way. Unfortunately that is where we are to quote an oft used phrase.

Having had one relegation and just avoided another by the skin of our teeth we aren't that attractive a proposition. If you are a recognised 20 goal a season striker in our division then there is no need for you to be currently looking at Port Vale, better options are available. So we rummage in the unlabelled tin basket hoping to fish out a tin of salmon rather than spam. We look at these type of signings thinking oh no another gamble. I am sure players look at us in much the same way. Unfortunately that is where we are to quote an oft used phrase.

I read an article a while ago, so I may be misremembering, but didn’t clough and Taylor have success on taking talented but flawed players and making good on them.

Don't like the sound of this one little bit. Just look at the report on the court case - it takes a particular kind of mentality to go AWOL just because the manager, quite reasonably, refuses your request for time off to celebrate your partner's birthday.

The report of his conviction isn't helpful either:

"Miller - who has two previous convictions for drink driving in 2006 and 2009, was banned for three and a half years, ordered to take part in a six month alcohol treatment programme and attend 35 days of rehabilitation requirement. He was also fined £300, and ordered to pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £85."

How disruptive is that going to be? He will be expected to fit in with the requirements of the various programmes he's on, not to mention not being able to drive, so what will happen? Special time off for the meetings, missing training and games? Relying on his team mates to drive him around? Mind on other things, like getting clear of alcohol dependency? What effect will all this have on the dressing room?

His scoring record is pretty poor too in the league and I doubt it will change at his age. Watching the youtube video, he looks impressive at that level but it's a bit two dimensional, which League defenders soon sussed to the point he couldn't even get in the Posh match day squad. 3 goals in 36 games at Luton, Posh and Mansfield tells me he can't cut it at league level.

Looks like we're going to sign him but even Aspo can make a mistake. He would be a risk on every level.

What concerns me more is that we might have signed him because we can't, for some reason, get Waters who looks a much better player. Waters is younger and yet has more league goals - a much better prospect. Hope it's not the money!

Due to his "baggage" I assume that Miller would not command a very big fee, also Aspin has proved with Regis, if you don't fit in, you are out.... anybody coming to the Vale is starting with a clean slate, it what he does in a white shirt that is important....

Yep, and he's scored a goal every other game in his career pretty much. Worth a punt to get someone up top to take the weight off Tom a bit and chip in with regular goals. Ricky needs to sit in a room for twenty minutes with Neil Aspin and John Rudge to hear how his career could either be salvaged by a fantastic season with us, or left on the scrap heap if he doesn't follow their advice. A good pre season to get him fit, keep him out of trouble, and he could be a good piece of business.

Guest Vale at home

I Do agree . Vale must get the Good players in . We need a settled Team .

I Do agree . Vale must get the Good players in . We need a settled Team .

I’m hoping that this Miller rumour is just that - a rumour.

Now banned for drink driving for a THIRD time, a poor goal scoring league record, nearly 30 years of age and clearly a rotten apple.

IF he signs, it seems poor business to me on every level. Leopards don’t change their spots, as our very own Gary Roberts proved.

I personally hope that this signing does not materialise, as it will, in all likelihood, end in tears for both club and player.

The club I care about. The player, I don’t.

I can understand clubs still taking chances on players like Miller in the hope he can get them goals, but how many chances should they have?

Looking at his record and although hes scored virutally 1 in 2, hes only been playing at league one level since last season. Maybe conderence to league one was too much of a jump and he'll find league two more his level.

But hes a gamble, not only for his off the field problems but also him actually being able to make a league career for himself. I would hazard a guess that its a gamble clubs can weight in our favour because he is in the last chance saloon. One year deal, mess about and you're out.

I find it frustrating when players like this seem determined to let the chance of a lifetime slip through their fingers. They don't realise how lucky they are.

I can understand clubs still taking chances on players like Miller in the hope he can get them goals, but how many chances should they have?

Looking at his record and although hes scored virutally 1 in 2, hes only been playing at league one level since last season. Maybe conderence to league one was too much of a jump and he'll find league two more his level.

But hes a gamble, not only for his off the field problems but also him actually being able to make a league career for himself. I would hazard a guess that its a gamble clubs can weight in our favour because he is in the last chance saloon. One year deal, mess about and you're out.

I find it frustrating when players like this seem determined to let the chance of a lifetime slip through their fingers. They don't realise how lucky they are.

If Miller was a free agent, I wouldn’t be adverse to giving him a 6 month contract so as to prove his worth or otherwise.

But, as a fee is reportedly involved, his signing is unlikely to be short term. Therefore if we have a Chris Regis scenario with Miller, we will lose out on two scores. A) The transfer fee itself & B) A player on a longer contract who we ultimately may want out of the club.

The whole scenario looks to me to be fraught with danger and a risk not worth taking.

If Miller was a free agent, I wouldn’t be adverse to giving him a 6 month contract so as to prove his worth or otherwise.

But, as a fee is reportedly involved, his signing is unlikely to be short term. Therefore if we have a Chris Regis scenario with Miller, we will lose out on two scores. A) The transfer fee itself & B) A player on a longer contract who we ultimately may want out of the club.

The whole scenario looks to me to be fraught with danger and a risk not worth taking.

If we're going to offer him a long term contract and pay a fee then I agree its a risk.

Signing any player is a calculated risk, of course, whether it be Van Der Laan’s fiery temper, Peter Swan’s knee, Alex Williams’ back, Gary Roberts’ addictions, or something as silly as John Jeffers’ inability to spot a passing opportunity.

While Miller’s would be a high risk opportunity I’m not totally opposed to it. Maybe this is his last shot at redemption, maybe we’d benefit from that. So much depends on the support he has around him, though my guess is he would be quite isolated in N.Staffs.

Archived