onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Emmanuel Oyeleke

Advert

Guest TommyMac
It depends if he wants to give full backs more licence to get forward and potentially having 2 more mobile “sitting” midfielders could give them the freedom to do that. One of the problems with tonge and Pugh (who I actually think are better than people give them credit for) is when the opposition have more mobile players running off them and around them. That role needs players who are mobile themselves who can slot in at full back when players push on or even get themselves forward too if or tactics dicatate it.

So you think Pugh and Tonge are better than people give the credit for. Then you go on to say unless the opposition have more mobile players. If you can see that don't you think that every opposition manager can see and take advantage of it too? They're not better than they are credited with, they are slow, cumbersome and past being effective.

Andy porter is 5’9 (Roy Keane is only an inch taller at 5’10. Makelele was 5’6). Exodus was 6’5. I know who I would want in a midfield battle. Is height that important for a midfielder?

Just reading the name Exodus makes me shudder!!

I felt the same way about Burge, Shuker, and Morsy but we played the best football I've seen in the bottom tier the first half of the promotion season. People forget we'd just gone top of the league when we splashed the cash. We scored more goals and got more points per game when those 3 were in the team. We will find out if it is an issue in a couple of months I guess.

More than confident that Morsy and Shuker were crucial in the best football I've seen from a Port Vale side.

Shuker was a decrepit 5"5 winger who played like a Scouse Iniesta. Didn't he get something like 4 assists when we ripped apart Rotherham at home? Had his limitations but when he was on his game we were scintillating.

I don't even know if this is relevant I just have a thing for Shuker x Morsy.

Joyce, Hannant, Oyeleke, Kay, and Waters (if/when he signs) is a fantastic 5 to choose from for the middle positions at this level.

Can't wait for the injury crisis in November when Pugh and Tonge are wheeled out of the old folks home for one last hurrah.

PS size is utterly irrelevant. A midfield of McCarthy Porter Walker Guppy with a front two of Naylor and Foyle are not impressive physically and at first sight would not intimidate anyne. What would we give for their like now. Similarly a back four of Andy Hill Neil Aspin Dean Glover Alan Tankard would not be at home in the land of the giants but what a back 4 eh.

Sod the size it is mean8ngless.

I can say this with total conviction because I stand slightly more than 6'5"

Interesting to see what Aspo said when he recruited Leon Legge (who stands at 6'4")

"It was important that we got a centre half who is experienced and one who can head the ball. In this league, you have to have someone who can head the ball and be strong in the air because set pieces at both ends are so important."

I think he had in mind that L2 (unlike, say, the championship) is full of sides with plenty of height that you have to be able to match at corners, free kicks or crosses (the point I was making in my earlier post).

It will be interesting to see who he recruits next.

That was my point. We're not Barcelona, and we need to be able to match other sides physically. It's nonsense saying that size is irrelevant or comparing Porter to Exodus or Makalele. That wasn't the point. We will need enough physical presence to compete and with the current players on hand we seem a little short that's all. For all I know Joyce and Manny can outjump 6 footers.

That was my point. We're not Barcelona, and we need to be able to match other sides physically. It's nonsense saying that size is irrelevant or comparing Porter to Exodus or Makalele. That wasn't the point. We will need enough physical presence to compete and with the current players on hand we seem a little short that's all. For all I know Joyce and Manny can outjump 6 footers.

It isn’t irrelevant becaus the point is that those players provided a physical presence at varying levels of the pyramid. I’d rather a payer who can tackle in midfield if we need a physical presence. Often those players aren’t you’re 6’+ players.

So you think Pugh and Tonge are better than people give the credit for. Then you go on to say unless the opposition have more mobile players. If you can see that don't you think that every opposition manager can see and take advantage of it too? They're not better than they are credited with, they are slow, cumbersome and past being effective.

You’re missing the point that playing them together as a pair does not work.

More than confident that Morsy and Shuker were crucial in the best football I've seen from a Port Vale side.

Shuker was a decrepit 5"5 winger who played like a Scouse Iniesta. Didn't he get something like 4 assists when we ripped apart Rotherham at home? Had his limitations but when he was on his game we were scintillating.

I don't even know if this is relevant I just have a thing for Shuker x Morsy.

First half of that season we were seriously vertically challenged, Yates wasn't a giant.

First half of that season we were seriously vertically challenged, Yates wasn't a giant.

Apart from Clayton McDonald at centre half.

One of the clumsiest footballers of all time but always felt he had a really good pass on him. A lot of what we did was built from him passing out from the back to one of the midgets in midfield.

Was a weird team that. Ashley Vincent playing like Robben for about 3 months then disappearing forever.

I liked Shuker he was fab .

Morsy was such a uncomplicated good footballer he did the things i like to see in a game the competitive i want that ball then when he got he passed it well and moved forwards and scored some beauties .

Welcome to the new players lets hope they all are better than the players we have currently have on contract or push them to newer much more acceptable heights as well as the team.

There is no I in team .

UTV

Archived