onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Emmanuel Oyeleke

Advert

I hope he doesn’t go with two sitting players right in front of the back 4 again to be honest. Because the 3 in front will have to score a lot of goals and also create a lot of chances for the lonely Tom Pope.
Aspo said a few days ago that he wants us to play a different style to last season with more passing and less hoofball.

I hope he doesn’t go with two sitting players right in front of the back 4 again to be honest. Because the 3 in front will have to score a lot of goals and also create a lot of chances for the lonely Tom Pope.

Interesting point you make.

It seems to be one of the favoured ways of playing these days but I agree with you in that it necessarily means having one out and out striker. Pope did well last year but isn't very mobile or fast and plays better for me when he has close support and someone running the channels to take the weight off him.

I don't know how we'll set up next year. Should be interesting to see.

Rudge often favoured 4.4.2 but was helped by having a string of excellent box to box midfield players and some very hard working wingers/forwards, so we didn't get outfought in midfield.

I can't really think of any reason (to a silly man like me) why 3.5.2 isn't the best way to go at our level. It ensures we have the "extra" man in midfield, a partner for Pope always, and that additional sweeper in defence.

I suppose the weakness of the system is the space behind the wing backs who have to be very good and get up and down the pitch.

But it is interesting to speculate what system we'll use and who will make the starting XI.

Thanks for that VPL.

He comes across very well and it appears he comes from a good family and has benefited from a good upbringing which, IMO, gives anyone an advantage in life.

I make this particular point as during the Rudge era I was lucky enough to get to know quite a few of the players and it really struck me what nice blokes they were and what good families they seemed to have. I don't think that was coincidental I suspect it was a deliberate policy from a man with a good family of his own and who appreciated the qualities that passes through people. I'd like to think Aspo is building along the same lines, recruiting players not only with football talent but those who are decent people with a team ethic and, importantly, intelligence.

I can't see us playing 3 at the back. I don't have any history of Aspin's management to go on, but he was brought up playing 4 at the back, and you rarely see lower league sides play with 3. With respect, they're just not used to the system, and can't play it well enough for it to be effective. It's hard enough for a manager pulling a team together & rehashing it constantly at a lower league level without trying to overlay unfamiliar systems. Perhaps for some of our players - Gibbons and Montano at wing back for example, a 3-5-2 might work, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

For me, I don't think it really matters what system we play, as long as we have the players to suit it. Ideally, we'd be flexible enough to have a couple of options. We know Pope isn't going to run past people, but he'll occupy at least 1 defender and create space - if we can surround him with enough pace, his (relative) lack of mobility won't be too much of an issue.

I like the signing of Manny, but without being critical, my slight worry would be that both him & Joyce is that that if Wikipedia is accurate, they are both 5-9, which, added to Worrall and Hannant, wouldn't constitute the most physically imposing midfield we are able to field thus far!

I can't see us playing 3 at the back. I don't have any history of Aspin's management to go on, but he was brought up playing 4 at the back, and you rarely see lower league sides play with 3. With respect, they're just not used to the system, and can't play it well enough for it to be effective. It's hard enough for a manager pulling a team together & rehashing it constantly at a lower league level without trying to overlay unfamiliar systems. Perhaps for some of our players - Gibbons and Montano at wing back for example, a 3-5-2 might work, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

For me, I don't think it really matters what system we play, as long as we have the players to suit it. Ideally, we'd be flexible enough to have a couple of options. We know Pope isn't going to run past people, but he'll occupy at least 1 defender and create space - if we can surround him with enough pace, his (relative) lack of mobility won't be too much of an issue.

I like the signing of Manny, but without being critical, my slight worry would be that both him & Joyce is that that if Wikipedia is accurate, they are both 5-9, which, added to Worrall and Hannant, wouldn't constitute the most physically imposing midfield we are able to field thus far!

I felt the same way about Burge, Shuker, and Morsy but we played the best football I've seen in the bottom tier the first half of the promotion season. People forget we'd just gone top of the league when we splashed the cash. We scored more goals and got more points per game when those 3 were in the team. We will find out if it is an issue in a couple of months I guess.

It depends if he wants to give full backs more licence to get forward and potentially having 2 more mobile “sitting” midfielders could give them the freedom to do that. One of the problems with tonge and Pugh (who I actually think are better than people give them credit for) is when the opposition have more mobile players running off them and around them. That role needs players who are mobile themselves who can slot in at full back when players push on or even get themselves forward too if or tactics dicatate it.

I think Aspo's trying to create a flexibility in the squad and I expect to see us play with a 'main' system but sometimes change it, a bit like Rudgey did in our Championship years. I think we'll see a fair bit of 4-4-2 with some 3-5-2 and even 5-4-1 away occasionally.

Andy porter is 5’9 (Roy Keane is only an inch taller at 5’10. Makelele was 5’6). Exodus was 6’5. I know who I would want in a midfield battle. Is height that important for a midfielder?

Thanks for that VPL.

He comes across very well and it appears he comes from a good family and has benefited from a good upbringing which, IMO, gives anyone an advantage in life.

I make this particular point as during the Rudge era I was lucky enough to get to know quite a few of the players and it really struck me what nice blokes they were and what good families they seemed to have. I don't think that was coincidental I suspect it was a deliberate policy from a man with a good family of his own and who appreciated the qualities that passes through people. I'd like to think Aspo is building along the same lines, recruiting players not only with football talent but those who are decent people with a team ethic and, importantly, intelligence.

Exactly this - I completely agree, and it was a mark of Rudgie's sides. Give me intelligent, family based footballers first, as Cloughie used to say. When the chips are down, I get the impression they will work for each other in a way that we haven't seen that much of late. They will also come across well on the pitch (fewer bookings and suspensions, so a better disciplinary record). Win win.

I thought that too - if you also add in Gibbons and Montano, then so far we only have two or three outfield players over six foot (Legge, Rawlinson and Pope), which you'd think would put us at a disadvantage at set pieces. In open play, it would probably give us the edge if we have smaller, quicker and more mobile players but quite a few sides in L2 pack their squads with height and strength. Still I'm not going to try and second guess Aspo - he knows what he's doing!

It depends if he wants to give full backs more licence to get forward and potentially having 2 more mobile “sitting” midfielders could give them the freedom to do that. One of the problems with tonge and Pugh (who I actually think are better than people give them credit for) is when the opposition have more mobile players running off them and around them. That role needs players who are mobile themselves who can slot in at full back when players push on or even get themselves forward too if or tactics dicatate it.

I agree with that, Pugh and Tonge aren't bad players in their own right but as a pair they just don't work.

Most teams in our league have that "older, experienced, sitting" midfielder but with younger, mobile players around them.

Coventry had Michael Doyle, Wycombe had Matt Bloomfield, Accrington had Scott Brown and they all got promoted.

I think a midfield 3 of Hannant + Oyeleke + one of: Joyce, Kay, Pugh, Tonge will be much improved from last season.

We're a bit overstocked in that department and out of the 3 I'd keep Kay but try and offload Pugh and Tonge if possible.

A midfield 3 of Hannant, Oyeleke and Joyce is really exciting in my opinion!

I know it is close season but all these armchairs theorists on here with their numbers and formations are mostly talking twaddle. The team with the best players in terms of fitting together with the right work ethic, team cohesion, fitness, desire, motivation, spirit, ambition, lack of fear and humility will succeed. As long as I see players doing their bezt, enjoying their work and making me proud to be a Port Vale fan then I will be happy. Formations and numbers are irrelevant. I am more excited by this coming season than I have been for a long time. Neil Aspin is giving us hope.

PS size is utterly irrelevant. A midfield of McCarthy Porter Walker Guppy with a front two of Naylor and Foyle are not impressive physically and at first sight would not intimidate anyne. What would we give for their like now. Similarly a back four of Andy Hill Neil Aspin Dean Glover Alan Tankard would not be at home in the land of the giants but what a back 4 eh.

Sod the size it is mean8ngless.

I can say this with total conviction because I stand slightly more than 6'5"

Archived