onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope

Portvale4

[ATTACH=CONFIG]222[/ATTACH]

The defenders are pushed over 1 man too many. The overall communication must have been horrendous from everyone there from the goalkeeper to all the players that were supposed to be marking.

It's not the defence it's we don't score. If we had scored 4more goals we wouldn't be in this trouble. Yes we can improve defence by working together more as a team.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

It's called deflecting the blame because it was his man he let go at a set play.

Nah. He was picking up their no5 (admittedly not tight enough for me). The cross came in from a free kick do there was more than enough time for our right back to pick up their incoming wide man. Which is why Pope was having a benny.

It was a free kick' date=' it's wasn't open play so Wilson clearly wouldn't be there. Wilson is also dreadful but not at fault for marking his open play space on a set piece.[/quote']

I accept what you are saying rep but if you take a fullback out of position to cover a post or whatever then you must still pick up anyone coming in from that side. If Popey was assigned to this role (I would have thought he'd be assigned the centre region) who should have been picking up their big no5 in the middle.

Looks like you are wrong on this one R E P

You do not leave a centre half free on the edge of the box awaiting a cross

Again does the blame lie with the goalie or our captain centre half. Why were they not organising the defence

Pope this season is poor. He looks unfit.He has been embarrassing at times.

He has also set up our goal on Sat, set up two good chances that should have been efforts on goal and put his usual effort into his game

With no other forwards fit and available we have no other choice.

Criticise Pope yes but there are several players before Pope's name becomes the target

Don't forget before we look at players the real blame lies with SMURF

Looks like you are wrong on this one R E P

You do not leave a centre half free on the edge of the box awaiting a cross

Again does the blame lie with the goalie or our captain centre half. Why were they not organising the defence

Pope this season is poor. He looks unfit.He has been embarrassing at times.

He has also set up our goal on Sat, set up two good chances that should have been efforts on goal and put his usual effort into his game

With no other forwards fit and available we have no other choice.

Criticise Pope yes but there are several players before Pope's name becomes the target

Don't forget before we look at players the real blame lies with SMURF

Not wrong at all, he marked the same player at the next set piece and was the closest player to him when he had the free header, others have stated it too. You have to mark the player you are assigned to otherwise we run the risk of conceding.

I agree he doesn't look fit which is a shame as apparently he runs 11.5km!

The senior players as I've said many times are collectively to blame, they've been a bit of a shambles, Pope is included in that group.

You can blame the owner for many things but for not marking at the back post you must be joking 😂

I accept what you are saying rep but if you take a fullback out of position to cover a post or whatever then you must still pick up anyone coming in from that side. If Popey was assigned to this role (I would have thought he'd be assigned the centre region) who should have been picking up their big no5 in the middle.

Gunning picked up Collins at the next set piece, so that should have been Gunning and Pope should have stayed with his man.

I find all of this blaming a forward for not doing what in truth is the defence.s job rather strange. It does appear that one or two on here have a vendetta against Popey. It would be rather enlightening if we could see figures for which of our players covers the most ground during a game because I reckon our unfit target man would feature very highly on the list.

I find all of this blaming a forward for not doing what in truth is the defence.s job rather strange. It does appear that one or two on here have a vendetta against Popey. It would be rather enlightening if we could see figures for which of our players covers the most ground during a game because I reckon our unfit target man would feature very highly on the list.

I reckon they are all a complete and utter shower presently as the results point out Owd.

So just to clarify he doesn't need to score goals or pick up players at set pieces? Maybe he could sell the pies or be social media manager instead? 😂

I reckon they are all a complete and utter shower presently as the results point out Owd.

So just to clarify he doesn't need to score goals or pick up players at set pieces? Maybe he could sell the pies or be social media manager instead?

You won't ever admit it but you certainly have a grudge against him.

You won't ever admit it but you certainly have a grudge against him.

Grudge?

No I can just see failing players of which he and most of the experienced players are clearly ones. The guy behind watched him and commented on him throughout the game, it brought it home to me just how far he has currently fallen.

I just don't have a weird obsession with him. Hopefully Micky can come in, get into his mind and get him fit.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Nobody has an agenda. We've simply been the games and he's not been very good. It's as simple as that. Maybe now brown has gone he will improve especially in a partnership with Turner.

It was a free kick' date=' it's wasn't open play so Wilson clearly wouldn't be there. Wilson is also dreadful but not at fault for marking his open play space on a set piece.[/quote']

Explain why a right back (a defender) would not be marking the space or player that was or could run into that space at a free kick, Wilson should have been in that space in line with the other Vale defenders.

If Wilson had been in that space then their player may not have even run into that space.

There is absolutely no difference in the first and main job of a full back in open play or set plays, that job is to defend and prevent a goal being conceded, espacially in and around his own goal whether from open or set plays.

Archived