onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Martyn Cooke: it is too early to start despairing but Brown needs to go 4-4-2

News Feed

Its a general written article but would ask re browns tenure last season how many games MC has watched to gain his opinion- its hard to tell fans that attend what is needed if you yourself don't go games, Fleetwood we needed a win and didn't take the game to them.

Personally it isn't a case of 442 if your midfield/defence are weak , if you do have 1 up top you need other players getting in support once possession is gained with forward controlled play not just hoofing it

I know what you mean about Fleetwood but our only hope was to pinch it - if we'd gone all guns blazing from the off we'd have been down by 12.15pm

I'm not disputing his record is very poor, but it's worth pointing out we hit the bar last week, the post yesterday and had one cleared off/behind the line. These tiny margins can start going for us and things will look very different.

Advert

I know what you mean about Fleetwood but our only hope was to pinch it - if we'd gone all guns blazing from the off we'd have been down by 12.15pm

I'm not disputing his record is very poor, but it's worth pointing out we hit the bar last week, the post yesterday and had one cleared off/behind the line. These tiny margins can start going for us and things will look very different.

Fleetwood, shouldn't have even been in that situation, what was it 1 goal in the last 7 league games.

We were at home yesterday and had 1 shot on target.

We're not creating or scoring and don't even look likely to, if going for it is playing 2 up front then it's a must. Both a ***** Crewe side and County sides came to us and played 2 up front and both went home with the points.

How many times has the team hit the bar since Brown was installed as manager in December 2016? And where has it got us?

I don't think such an analogy really counts. He has had his time...now its time to go

When Brown got the job I wasn't happy about it but the least I expected was a short new manager bounce (we were 17th I think, not 11th). We won his first game at New Year against a rubbish Chesterfield team but didn't win again until March when we won against a rubbish Swindon team. This season the same has happened - we won fortunately against Crawley but nowt since. It strikes me that whatever players we have in the dressing room, for whatever reason they are simply not responding to Michael Brown.

Isn't it also odd a number of the players that did ok under Brown don't feature now - ADF, Bikey, Eagles, Guy. All for different reasons but exceptionally odd all the same.

How many times has the team hit the bar since Brown was installed as manager in December 2016? And where has it got us?

I don't think such an analogy really counts. He has had his time...now its time to go

Maybe I'm old-school, maybe too much so - but I still feel football in general has gone insane with the speed of dismissals for managers.

I'm not against him having time to make mistakes, as long as he learns from them. That doesn't mean I'm thrilled at the thought of Division Four football for the foreseeable future, far from it (God knows I've seen enough of it in my time).

But I also know that even the great Sir John may have been out of a job had Kevin Finney not scored against Macc all those years ago - that's how fine the margins can be.

I'm backing Browny for now.

Obviousy I've got my "Happy Clapper" T-shirt on as I write this:laugh:

Will Brown make a good manager - probably after he learns to change things earlier and he has finally read his ladybird book of "Being a Football Manager" cover to cover. But at the moment, he see's a different Vale team to us each week.

Playing Pope up front is not working, as he just gets battered by two defenders each time the ball is lumped up front for him to chase or hold. Saturday, Brown said he allowed the midfield freedom to help Pope by getting up there, however, they were too slow and the ball was huffed back into our half. By the end of the match, Pope must have been black and blue with all the knocks he took.

Brown played this way last season and look where it got us. It is the same this season. Teams know already how to play against us. He needs to change things around and I do believe the squad is capable to do better. Yes they still need to gel, but they are getting no help from the tactics being used at the moment.

Next week we will be bottom, as Brown and his team will not change anything until the last 15 minutes.

I don't say this with much conviction but I'm with Smithie in terms of seeing how the next few weeks unfold.

Whoever the manager is he can't pick injured players and I'm guessing the likes of Anderson, Barnett, Pyke, Pugh, Forrester and Tonge would all be part of our match day squad had they been fit. Two of those we can sadly forget about for many weeks but three of them hopefully will very soon be available and it will help.

I'm as frustrated as the next man but we are not losing by cricket scores and we've been a bit unlucky not to have got a point or two more. We did well at Oldham.

It's fair I think to see how the ground lies after 12-15 games and not make knee-jerk decisions based on 5 starts, however annoyed we all are.

Most of the players we have are good enough. We probably lack a goalscorer from midfield but the squad should have enough talent to move up the Table.

Time isn't part of a supporter's vocabulary but I think Martyn makes some fair points, notwithstanding the fact that if we are where we are in December then heads should and will roll.

Next two are Coventry and Luton away.

Wasn't Luton away Foyle's last game before he was sacked?

It was indeed, lost 2-1, Sept '07 (still went down though). If Brown does go, hopefully it's before Luton away, as I miss the Coventry game but will be down there on the Tuesday!

Personally,as much as I want Browny to succeed I think he has the next six games to prove himself up to the job.We have two home games and four away coming up this month and in my opinion we require a minimum of eleven points from those games which would take us to a total of fourteen points from eleven games.The next two home matches against FGR and Accy Stanley are massive games in my opinion which will determine our managers future.

Personally,as much as I want Browny to succeed I think he has the next six games to prove himself up to the job.We have two home games and four away coming up this month and in my opinion we require a minimum of eleven points from those games which would take us to a total of fourteen points from eleven games.The next two home matches against FGR and Accy Stanley are massive games in my opinion which will determine our managers future.

I agree.....Brown has a tough job,thought when I saw the fixtures that it would test Browns mettle.

Archived