onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Keep Brown In

Class personified

Which is why Bruno rightly got the push. We needed whoever replaced him to reverse that trend enough to keep us up. Brown got the job and failed to do that.

I sense negativity Mark. I believe in SFBT. Solution Focused Brief Therapy. Respect the past but look at the present and apply solutions for the future. The future is bright with Michael Brown.

Advert

I was asked who we should be looking at not who Smurthwaite would be looking at.

So why not name Mourinho, Costa, etc if we don't have to take into account reality? ;)

Based on previous form, Smurthwaite would choose between Morgan, Kelly or some random guy from overseas.

Based on previous form NS would seem the most likely...oh hang on he's tried that!!!! What we need is an organiser and motivator.....Alan Sugar might take the chance if offered it.

I'm none the wiser as to who would be the best candidate.......I hope that in a few games time we're up near the top of the table so it becomes a moot point anyway

I sense negativity Mark. I believe in SFBT. Solution Focused Brief Therapy. Respect the past but look at the present and apply solutions for the future. The future is bright with Michael Brown.

Negative or not, CP, it's a fact that he failed with the given task last season and shows little or no sign of improving. I'm sensing reality-denying delusion. If you want to apply solutions for the future, a vastly better owner and manager would be the place to start.

So why not name Mourinho, Costa, etc if we don't have to take into account reality? ;)

Based on previous form NS would seem the most likely...oh hang on he's tried that!!!! What we need is an organiser and motivator.....Alan Sugar might take the chance if offered it.

I'm none the wiser as to who would be the best candidate.......I hope that in a few games time we're up near the top of the table so it becomes a moot point anyway

The names i offered were realistic for one of the biggest clubs in League Two. Phil Brown went to Southend, Micky Adams went to us. I can't help it that we seem to be owned by a cartoon character rather than a proper football chairman.

Which is why Bruno rightly got the push. We needed whoever replaced him to reverse that trend enough to keep us up. Brown got the job and failed to do that.

Of course I see what you're saying. In effect we had 2 squads for the 2016-17 season, one built by Bruno and then again halfway through by Brown. Now we've got another squad for this season and we're starting again. Thats no way to run a club with any kind of continuity or stability.

Its all ifs and buts as to whether someone else could have got something more from Brunos sqaud when he went, but last seasons gone now and huge changes on the scale we've seen to playing staff (twice last season) and again this summer won't necessarily work straight away.

Some people accept that it will take time or they won't accept it and want another change. Just like some people thought we should have been better than mid table league 1 under Page and wanted him and his players gone. Its going to be neverending because everyone has expectations that we are better or bigger than league 2 and league 1 (maybe based on the Rudge era). Going hand in hand with that is that people also think we should be playing better football too. The problem is there are 50 other clubs that share the same ambitions and its a huge gulf money wise to get back to our glory days of the Championship.

Maybe we need to get the 'big club' mentality out of our heads because I hate to say that we deserve to be where we are and it going to be a slow process to get back I think. There are plenty of bigger clubs that have been around league 1 and league 2 that probably feel they didn't deserve it too.

But even if at some point we got someone else in to replace Brown I still think it'll need time and it won't be a given that we'll be up there challenging straight away. We're in a right mess.

Saturday, we looked like a team that was less than the sum of its parts.

Decent players not quite gelling yet.

Experience and youth, with most of the younger players very inexperienced and inevitably inconsistent.

They will get better.

The team will improve.

This is all the consequence, as stated by PV1973, of 3 complete clear outs in succession.

Time will tell whether we will be good enough.

My bet is that, as another poster said, this will be a mirror image of last season.

By Xmas, we will be firing on all cylinders.

I agree that a constant turnover of players is no way to run a club. Nearly 50 brought in since last summer? Crackers.

But the key role is the manager and I'd argue that good managers make players better, whether through motivation, skills/tactics coaching or whatever. Look what Conte did with a largely inherited squad at Chelsea. Back down at our level, Adams transformed a lot of the Sinnott/Glover signings (ok, he got shot of a lot too) like McCombe and Griff who he turned into players of the season.

This is one area where Brown hasn't impressed me. Gannon made the players/team worse and got the bullet pretty sharpish.

As regards the squad, there are a lot of loans and players over 30 (seven of the starting 11 against Crewe) - a worrying lack of long-term planning there.

Saturday, we looked like a team that was less than the sum of its parts.

Decent players not quite gelling yet.

Experience and youth, with most of the younger players very inexperienced and inevitably inconsistent.

They will get better.

The team will improve.

This is all the consequence, as stated by PV1973, of 3 complete clear outs in succession.

Time will tell whether we will be good enough.

My bet is that, as another poster said, this will be a mirror image of last season.

By Xmas, we will be firing on all cylinders.

I've been quoting you to MarkW. You see the solution and that Brown is not the problem. Keep focused SFBT.

I agree that a constant turnover of players is no way to run a club. Nearly 50 brought in since last summer? Crackers.

But the key role is the manager and I'd argue that good managers make players better, whether through motivation, skills/tactics coaching or whatever. Look what Conte did with a largely inherited squad at Chelsea. Back down at our level, Adams transformed a lot of the Sinnott/Glover signings (ok, he got shot of a lot too) like McCombe and Griff who he turned into players of the season.

This is one area where Brown hasn't impressed me. Gannon made the players/team worse and got the bullet pretty sharpish.

As regards the squad, there are a lot of loans and players over 30 (seven of the starting 11 against Crewe) - a worrying lack of long-term planning there.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would probably say that the turnover of players and managers we've had just won't work or be an instant success. I'd also say that the 2 managers employed since Page haven't improved us from what we were under him, so what was the point of changing him? You can't just chop and change managers and players and expect things to improve immediately. Now more than ever we need a clear vision and long term plan for the club from the top.

Negative or not, CP, it's a fact that he failed with the given task last season and shows little or no sign of improving. I'm sensing reality-denying delusion. If you want to apply solutions for the future, a vastly better owner and manager would be the place to start.

You did make me titter when I read your remarks. My wife has told me I've been delusional all my life by supporting the Vale in the first place. Under the SFBT approach I see delusion as simply an illusion in itself. Brown is focused and resolute. Time will prove us all right.

Lets also not forget that we were on a downward spiral when he took over too, we're weren't exactly on fire on a winning run were we.

I only deal in facts. I don;t care if the players we feeling sorry for themselves. This was a chance for a fresh start and the reason you appoint a new 'leader' is to inspire the troops. Brown did the opposite.

I only deal in facts. I don;t care if the players we feeling sorry for themselves. This was a chance for a fresh start and the reason you appoint a new 'leader' is to inspire the troops. Brown did the opposite.

Who mentioned players feeling sorry for themselves? The team were on a downward spiral - points wise and performance wise and thats why fans wanted Bruno out and he left. Thats a fact you can't ignore either (unless it doesn't suit your argument of course).

Who mentioned players feeling sorry for themselves? The team were on a downward spiral, points wise and performance wise. Thats a fact you can't ignore either (unless it doesn't suit your argument of course).

Which implies they were low confidence wise. There's absolutely no getting away from the fact that under Brown we didn't improve. I truly believe that any manager with either experience or nouse would've been able to get more out of the players than Brown. I'd fancy most posters on this site to have been able to inspire more effort and class than Brown. One goal in last seven matches when we're fighting to stay up. Brown really dragged them kicking and screaming out of that horrible Autumn spiral, didn't he?

Archived