onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Andy Murray

davidatpreston

Advert

Ah, the public ballot. That must be how Lee Westwood, Ernie Els, Alex Ferguson etc etc get in then.

I doubt it

The percentage of tickets available by this means (although any means is welcome) is minimal. The vast, vast majority of tickets are already in some corporate persons grimy pockets long before the Croquet club consider letting in " The Great Unwashed".

Probably

people of a certain age will remember "People's Sunday" in the 70's when the schedule was so far behind due to inclement weather that play had to take place on the middle Sunday. As no play was planned, no tickets were available, so spectators paid at the gate. Then you saw real sports fans who, for the first time, had a realistic chance of getting into see this great British Institution.

You don't have to go back that far..there was one around 1990 which I went to. I didn't go cos I like tennis but for the spectacle, cos I was living near to Wimbledon (Raynes Park) so it was convenient, it was cheap(ish) and cos I had a craving for over priced strawberries

I doubt it

P

Probably

You don't have to go back that far..there was one around 1990 which I went to. I didn't go cos I like tennis but for the spectacle, cos I was living near to Wimbledon (Raynes Park) so it was convenient, it was cheap(ish) and cos I had a craving for over priced strawberries

Did you take your own cream ? No. It would have been confiscated at the gate!

I went on Sunday last year (keep up JA!) and I'm going tomorrow! If you explore a few avenues and enter the ballot regularly you'll get tickets now and then.

No different to any other big sporting event though is it? The wealthy and influential prawn cocktail brigade always pull a few strings.

Wimbledon is the biggest tennis tournament in the world and demand far outstrips availability, but at least you do have a chance of getting a ticket even if it's a slim one. I think they allocate several thousand in the ballot and about 500 each day are on sale to the public, plus there are several other ways in that are more costly. Coach companies run days there, tickets included, in the first week, and you can pay big bucks for hospitality packages if you are that way inclined.

The general public have as good a chance of getting in there as they do at any major sporting event.

I don't think you can argue against tennis clubs, affiliated tennis bodies and schools getting some priority.

Not sure how many the Royal Box holds but only a few hundred.

It's a fantastic spectacle and a brilliant day out if you are a tennis fan.

Ah, the public ballot. That must be how Lee Westwood, Ernie Els, Alex Ferguson etc etc get in then. The percentage of tickets available by this means (although any means is welcome) is minimal. The vast, vast majority of tickets are already in some corporate persons grimy pockets long before the Croquet club consider letting in " The Great Unwashed". People of a certain age will remember "People's Sunday" in the 70's when the schedule was so far behind due to inclement weather that play had to take place on the middle Sunday. As no play was planned, no tickets were available, so spectators paid at the gate. Then you saw real sports fans who, for the first time, had a realistic chance of getting into see this great British Institution.

Well we got fantastic seats on Centre Court for the Ladies Final via the public ballot.

I went on Sunday last year (keep up JA!) and I'm going tomorrow! If you explore a few avenues and enter the ballot regularly you'll get tickets now and then.

No different to any other big sporting event though is it? The wealthy and influential prawn cocktail brigade always pull a few strings.

Wimbledon is the biggest tennis tournament in the world and demand far outstrips availability, but at least you do have a chance of getting a ticket even if it's a slim one. I think they allocate several thousand in the ballot and about 500 each day are on sale to the public, plus there are several other ways in that are more costly. Coach companies run days there, tickets included, in the first week, and you can pay big bucks for hospitality packages if you are that way inclined.

The general public have as good a chance of getting in there as they do at any major sporting event.

I don't think you can argue against tennis clubs, affiliated tennis bodies and schools getting some priority.

Not sure how many the Royal Box holds but only a few hundred.

It's a fantastic spectacle and a brilliant day out if you are a tennis fan.

I would disagree with your comment that the general public have as much chance of seeing this tournament as any other major event. In virtually any other event you care to mention, the percentage of tickets made available, compared to capacity, to the general public far far exceeds those available at Wimbledon. So much so, that the All England Club (as far as I know ) never disclose what this figure is. C'est la vie !

The Wimbledon fortnight isn't so much a sporting event as a social event..like Ascot, Henley etc. The tennis is incidental to the important things such as hobnobbing with the elite, being seen, eating, drinking, falling over whilst wearing an expensive dress etc....it's a works outing for many

It's happened once or twice since then as well, I remember the year Ivanisevic won it(1999 was it?) the men's final was played on the Monday and Henman was still playing him in the semi on the Sunday as it had rained Friday and Saturday, when he was 2-1 up in sets and had him on his knees only for it to pee down! I'm sure they'd played the middle sunday before that too!

The Wimbledon fortnight isn't so much a sporting event as a social event..like Ascot, Henley etc. The tennis is incidental to the important things such as hobnobbing with the elite, being seen, eating, drinking, falling over whilst wearing an expensive dress etc....it's a works outing for many

I would disagree with that JA. Apart from the folk in the posh seats on Centre Court the rest of the venue is very "ordinary". The last time we went, five years ago, we thought it would be rather snooty and full of posh folk but it wasn't at all.

I would disagree with that JA. Apart from the folk in the posh seats on Centre Court the rest of the venue is very "ordinary". The last time we went, five years ago, we thought it would be rather snooty and full of posh folk but it wasn't at all.

I was being...what's the right word......facetious regarding those that go along to it as a non-sporting event that's a so important part of their social calendar and have no interest in the tennis, they just want to be seen to be at Wimbledon. Ridiculing them is probably a better way of putting it..hence the reference to a "works outing".

Ridicule doesn't always come across in a post

Archived