onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Andy Murray

davidatpreston

Who will win ? The Romanian or the Australian?

Have to wait and see. The Tv just ruined someone's life - so funny, between games they showed a shot of someone playing with a Rubiks cube, which is bad enough but then panned up just at the right time to get a classic shot of their victim with fingers stuck up a nostril extracting a huge bogie.

You can just imagine someone going home tonight, and initially being pleased with 'Oh I saw you on TV at Wimbledon......'

Classic.

Advert

Is it just me, but do other people find these "once a year" sports fans really infuriating. If I see one more overweight middle aged woman in a union jack bowler hat, I swear I'll throw the tv out the window. Wimbledon itself is a fantastic spectacle. Unfortunately it's spoilt by the cretins who attend the event. Usually they get tickets by "who they know" whilst genuine tennis fans never get a sniff. At least now Centre Court had a roof there'll be no impromptu Cliff Richard concert. As for that Henman Hill, I'd demolish it tomorrow.

Have to wait and see. The Tv just ruined someone's life - so funny, between games they showed a shot of someone playing with a Rubiks cube, which is bad enough but then panned up just at the right time to get a classic shot of their victim with fingers stuck up a nostril extracting a huge bogie.

You can just imagine someone going home tonight, and initially being pleased with 'Oh I saw you on TV at Wimbledon......'

Classic.

Reminds me of am old Chubby Brown line. "My son's at that age where he realises his "old fella" is like a Rubik Cube. The more he plays with it, the harder it gets" !

Is it just me, but do other people find these "once a year" sports fans really infuriating. If I see one more overweight middle aged woman in a union jack bowler hat, I swear I'll throw the tv out the window. Wimbledon itself is a fantastic spectacle. Unfortunately it's spoilt by the cretins who attend the event. Usually they get tickets by "who they know" whilst genuine tennis fans never get a sniff. At least now Centre Court had a roof there'll be no impromptu Cliff Richard concert. As for that Henman Hill, I'd demolish it tomorrow.

I've been three times. In 72 we just turned up and paid on the day. In 96 I went with a school group and we had tickets for Court 2. In 2012 we got tickets in the ballot for Ladies Finals Day - that was thanks to the Vale. We had done a tour of Wimbledon the day before Vale played them the previous September and had filled in an application for the ballot then forgot all about it until we got the letter about 6 months later.

I've been twice, 1st time in about '78. Queued all morning for "ground tickets" for access to outside (non show) courts. 2nd time in about '88 queued 'til about 4 in the afternoon before being allowed in. Not even sure if this means of access is available now. Having criticised the event earlier, I have to say I really enjoyed it. BUT, it shouldn't be the "closed shop" that it is. Wimbledon is a national treasure to which there should be a equal opportunity to attend. As it stands, it is not.

I've been twice, 1st time in about '78. Queued all morning for "ground tickets" for access to outside (non show) courts. 2nd time in about '88 queued 'til about 4 in the afternoon before being allowed in. Not even sure if this means of access is available now. Having criticised the event earlier, I have to say I really enjoyed it. BUT, it shouldn't be the "closed shop" that it is. Wimbledon is a national treasure to which there should be a equal opportunity to attend. As it stands, it is not.

Pippa Middleton always seems to get a ticket.

Totally unfair,is she well in or what?

How do you know they don't attend other events? They could be the ones who go to Davis Cup matches for example..lots of "overweight middle aged women in a union jack bowler hat" at those.. maybe they are the 'genuine tennis fans'.

I was one of them when they played on a Sunday some 20 years ago..just went for the atmos and cos it seemed like it would be exciting (it was). I did manage to blag my way onto Centre Court

And it's Murray Mound or something like that these days :razz:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/tickets/ballot_uk.html

Ah, the public ballot. That must be how Lee Westwood, Ernie Els, Alex Ferguson etc etc get in then. The percentage of tickets available by this means (although any means is welcome) is minimal. The vast, vast majority of tickets are already in some corporate persons grimy pockets long before the Croquet club consider letting in " The Great Unwashed". People of a certain age will remember "People's Sunday" in the 70's when the schedule was so far behind due to inclement weather that play had to take place on the middle Sunday. As no play was planned, no tickets were available, so spectators paid at the gate. Then you saw real sports fans who, for the first time, had a realistic chance of getting into see this great British Institution.

Archived