onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summary of the Chairman Q&A so far

robf

On the basics of supply and demand, we have a 20k stadium that is only ever 20% full. How is this economical? Surely it is better to try and sell as many tickets as possible - even if that means slashing the prices like Bradford to get their 18k+ attendances - in the knowledge that this might a.) lead to sales of merchandise, more marketing, food etc b.) be better for the long term future of the club??

He doesn't seem to realise this and charges London prices for a League One club with very poor match day facilities when there is a Premiership club a few miles away.

Advert

Bradford know they will get 18k plus now but when they started this scheme over 10 years ago I believe they were getting less than 5000k. They have built the fan base every season since.

Bradford in a way are similar to us, whereby we have Stoke just up the road who have 25k plus crowds, whereas Bradford have both Leeds and Huddersfield in their catchment area both of which have 20k plus crowds, however, due to Bradford ticketing model/scheme they still attract 18k plus crowds.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the onevalefan mobile app

You charge too much anyway.

Why is it too much? We charge the same than the vast majority in League One, and less in some cases. The prices haven't increased in 2 years.

1400 people found £26 for Bolton away. How come?

At the end of the day the marketing has to be constant thing all season and not just a couple of flyers once or twice a year a week or so before the deadline.

For me, the club has to engage properly in marketing. At the moment is there even a marketing department? There's certainly next to no communication coming out of it. Regular emails to email addresses on a customer database (if there isn't one then there damn well should be one set up) should be a given...

I once asked about engaging a CEO and was told that it would not be worth the wages paid out. With Colin Garlick's appointment, I see that is no longer the case. However, I wonder if the same view prevails with regards to marketing - in that it's a neccessary evil, let's pay as little as possible and have as few staff as possible with no budgets. Well, marketing doesn't work like that...

Bradford have a bigger fanbase but their attendances have shown what commitment to marketing provides. Milton Keynes ditto with the number of youngsters at their ground. Both clubs who have had recent success. And yes, Vale is "different" to both those clubs in the catchment area etc but that doesn't mean the club can't learn the basics from clubs who do engage in effective marketing.

The marketing has to be continuous. It has to have a plan (who are you aiming to attract). It has to have a realistic budget. It has to be long-term. It has to be measurable (that's all marketing basics).

But you have to be committed to it and persevere.

Why is it too much? We charge the same than the vast majority in League One, and less in some cases. The prices haven't increased in 2 years.

1400 people found £26 for Bolton away. How come?

To be fair mate, it was the first time we'd played them in 16 years, & one of our closer, 'big' away days at a good ground, so not really a great example. In terms of STs we're the most expensive in the league, I'd say the match day ticket rate isn't the biggest issue though.

Do you go to sir Stanley Mathews academy in blurton I pick my granddaughter up from there and stoke city people are there every day after the school finish's

Stoke City are clueless in coaching kids.My grandson was rejected TWICE by Stoke.Manchester United think he's just a little bit better.

To be fair mate, it was the first time we'd played them in 16 years, & one of our closer, 'big' away days at a good ground, so not really a great example. In terms of STs we're the most expensive in the league, I'd say the match day ticket rate isn't the biggest issue though.

Bury?Similar distance ,similar following.

Cf

Fair do's, but for a season ticket over 23 games the difference between ours and most others is pennies.

If people moan we're too dear at £22 on matchdays but then find £26.00 plus travel costs and beer money for Bolton then I have to question the logic. I understand though that our laddish element prefer to go to 6 away games a season than have a home season ticket, so it's a difficult one.

Cf

Fair do's, but for a season ticket over 23 games the difference between ours and most others is pennies.

If people moan we're too dear at £22 on matchdays but then find £26.00 plus travel costs and beer money for Bolton then I have to question the logic. I understand though that our laddish element prefer to go to 6 away games a season than have a home season ticket, so it's a difficult one.

You are correct, Smithie. Pricing is an excuse rather than a problem.

However, Vale's 'one-price-fits-all' policy is a frustration. Some fans will be willing to pay a tenner, and others 40 quid to watch a Vale game. People have different pricing points and that needs to be exploited. Unfortunately, there's no foresight at VP to do this or ability to find out customer preferences with no database.

I paraphrase the chairman, 'No point trying to sell loads of ST's, just give the people who buy one a pie or something'.

What hope do we have?

Doesn't mean they're right on this particular occasion though surely? Time will tell but good luck to the lad great opportunity and I wish him all the best

Cheers TP.I know I'm biased but he looks a goalie.I think PC said,last week,there will be a big investment in the academy.

But Smurf said he had a lot to do with Hayward academy which is a senior school plus 10 more head teachers from academy schools which are part off Hayward academy group so do they just meet up and sit round a table or does the vale community people go into infant/junior schools to put the message over what port vale have to offer them on match days and after school free of charge its alright saying they have half term coaching but it costs to be involved in them and some parents can not afford it.

Cf

Yeah I agree that in the grand scheme of things, the difference between say a £300 ST to a £345 one isn't a lot over the course of a year to pay (roughly an extra £1.95 a game/£3.75 a month), but the larger the figure on paper, the more reluctant people are going to be to pay it, especially when you compare with the rest of the league & realise we're joint most expensive.

I think that this, combined with other factors (doing terribly at the moment, fans at far more successful clubs in the league are paying less), is the total reasoning behind it being 'too expensive'.

The fact Vale clearly don't make an effort to engage with the fans/promote the STs/look at doing decent deals in general is probably part of people's argument too. Why should they put the money/effort in when the club don't? It's almost as if the club expects people to commit regardless.

Archived