Boxing: Fights coming up

boslemportvale91

The Mayweather/McGregor circus is fast approaching, still undecided whether whether to watch or not. Admit I'm curious how a supremely technically gifted boxer albeit one who last fought nerly two years ago matches up to an MMA fighter, a sport I have never viewed or know anything about.

If Mayweather is the boxer of old and the Queensbury Rules are adhered to then I'm going for a Mayweather win on points, if a boxer with the skill and power of Canelo ca'nt lay a glove on Mayweather I can't see McGregor doing so. However, Mcgregor looks the bigger guy and if he can rough up Mayweather and land one then Floyd may regret his decision to chase the money.

To be fair to Macgregor he did a lot of boxing when he was younger. However, I cannot see him laying a glove on Mayweather if the latter is fully prepared and on his game.Mayweather has never been a knock em down boxer so it could go a long way

Stopped around the sixth as Macgregor is too knackered to continue..so Mayweather on points

But it should not be classed as à pro boxing match...its a fight

I succummed to curiosity and watched Mayweather vs Mcgregor. The fight was better than expected as I've never seen Mayweather fight on the offensive, pushing an opponent back. The fight turned out to be just what it was, a skilled boxer vs a rugged fighter. The stoppage perhaps was a tad early but McGregor was taking hellish punishment and not offering anything back, better to be safe than sorry.

Now for the main course, I think GGG will box Canelo like he boxed David Lemieux and win on points, can't wait.

I succummed to cur hiiosity and watched Mayweather vs Mcgregor. The fight was better than expected as I've never seen Mayweather fight on the offensive, pushing an opponent back. The fight turned out to be just what it was, a skilled boxer vs a rugged fighter. The stoppage perhaps was a tad early but McGregor was taking hellish punishment and not offering anything back, better to be safe than sorry.

Now for the main course, I think GGG will box Canelo like he boxed David Lemieux and win on points, can't wait.

Hopefully,that defeat will shut McGregor up for a while?

• 2 weeks later...
Reports say Pulev v Joshua to take place on October 28th in Cardiff. Eddie Hearn to hold press conference tomorrow and is expected to confirm the bout. Does the Bulgarian have a realistic chance ?

Looks like the fight is confirmed. As with any heavy weight Pulev has a "Puncher's chance" even though he's not got a good KO percentage, his best chance is if Joshua doesn't turn up.

• 2 weeks later...

Big one tonight, going for GGG on points, he will out box Canelo just like he did David Lemieux, GGG has to keep away from Canelo's uppercut. The weigh-in was intense.

I see Billy Joe Saunders wants to fight the winner, we'll see if he's true to his word or whether he will go after another middleweight without a real KO punch.

Big one tonight, going for GGG on points, he will out box Canelo just like he did David Lemieux, GGG has to keep away from Canelo's uppercut. The weigh-in was intense.

I see Billy Joe Saunders wants to fight the winner, we'll see if he's true to his word or whether he will go after another middleweight without a real KO punch.

And what a fight that was ! Both fighters did well but GGG won that , how the judge gave it a draw I'll never know. On the plus side here's hoping we get a rematch

And what a fight that was ! Both fighters did well but GGG won that , how the judge gave it a draw I'll never know. On the plus side here's hoping we get a rematch

Yep, great fight between two great fighters and I also thought GGG won, it was as good a fight as Saunders/Monroe was a poor one.

How a judge could score the fight 118 to 112 to Canelo just beggered belief, that score card meant GGG won only two rounds but Canelo won 10, clearly total nonsense. I agreed with Harold Lederman's score card (HBO scorer) where he had GGG up by three rounds, the Compubox numbers showed each landed similar enumber of power punches but GGG landed twice as many jabs as Canelo and GGG was clearly the aggressor. GGG was cautious in using his power presumably with respect to Canelo's power counter punching.

That's the only good thing in that a re-match is possible but I'd like to see Saunders have to defend his title against a top tier middleweight (GGG, Canelo, Danny Jacobs or even David Lemieux) if only to shut him up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Didn’t see the fight last night, but sounds like another controversial end. Sounds like Takem was taking some punishment but seemed to have his wits about him so perhaps should have been allowed to carry on.

Yep it was a controversial stoppage but Takam needed a miracle to win and AJ had started to tee up on him. When a 254lb guy starts to put all his weight and technique into a punch without the threat of anything coming back then it's time for the ref to step in. On balance I thought the stoppage was the right thing to do, boxers sometimes need protecting from themselves, better be safe than sorry.

Mouth watering prospect of AJ vs Deontay Wilder in 2018.

Yep it was a controversial stoppage but Takam needed a miracle to win and AJ had started to tee up on him. When a 254lb guy starts to put all his weight and technique into a punch without the threat of anything coming back then it's time for the ref to step in. On balance I thought the stoppage was the right thing to do, boxers sometimes need protecting from themselves, better be safe than sorry.

Mouth watering prospect of AJ vs Deontay Wilder in 2018.

Agree with you’re points regarding safety and AJ was in front, but this is heavyweight boxing and ONE punch can win you the bout. But, as said, I do agree with you’re points.