onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Your best-ever Vale XI...

robf

No places for Ronnie Allen or Wilf Kirkham.??

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I think it's more difficult to pick someone you haven't seen over someone you have but in many ways it's a good argument - how nice to be spoiled for choices upfront.

I personally think all of the names that have been mentioned so far (with the exception of the post listed some of the worst Vale players) would be worthy members of a best-ever XI - it's just personal preference in many cases.

For instance, how do you pick two in attack from Kirkham, Allen, Foyle, Naylor, Beckford, Jones, Llewellyn etc...

Advert

No places for Ronnie Allen or Wilf Kirkham.??

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ronnie was my favourite player at the time, very sad when he left, but the money built the Railway Stand apparently. I have seen better wingers for the Vale, but he was used as a deep lying centre forward at the Baggies, with far greater success.

Back in the days when we signed English internationals such as Eddie Baily (Only lasted a season, far too clever for the Vale) and Colin Grainger (Changed from playing on the wing to playing a guitar) the football was different, would our favourite players have gelled together? Perhaps not but in our minds they would. Did Rowlands really score at the Bycars end, from the half way line by the tunnel? Perhaps in the re-telling each time he moved farther back? The main thing is to have the memories.

Started in 92/93 but was far too young to appreciate some of the talent on show. Romantically look back on 2000 - 2004 with fondness (probably because we stayed unbeaten v. Stoke, won the LDV and almost got in the playoffs in L1), even though there were some awful times too. Not much to excite since other than the promotion season:

(3-5-2)

GK: Mark Goodlad

DC: Neil Aspin

DC: Anthony Gardner

DC: George Pilkington

LW: Steve Guppy

DMC: Andy Porter

MC: Ian Bogie

MC: Michael Cummins

RW: Gareth Ainsworth

ST: Tony Naylor

ST: Tom Pope

Bench:

Chris Neal

Allen Tankard

Anthony Grant

Jon McCarthy

Marc Bridge Wilkinson

Steve McPhee

Stephen Brooker

Van Heusden

Colin Miles/ Craig James

Jermain Holwyn/ Chris Slater

David Artell

Sam Stockley

Rogier Koordes

John Durnin

Exodus Geohaghon

Lewis Haldane

Ville Villjanen

Hector Sam/ Kyle Peter

Confirmation, if any were needed, that Michael is either a Stoke fan or a raving lunatic!!

I like this thread, I will put a different slant on it by naming local players who I have seen play for Vale. Line up is 4-3-3

Ken Hancock- Played in top flight for Ipswich and Tottenham

Clint Boulton - A mystery to me why he did not get the chance to play at a higher level

Terry Alcock - Class act, he was so good he forced John Nicholson out of the team

Ant Gardner - Went on to play for England

Roy Sproson - No need to say anything

Harry Poole - Dead ball supremo could bend it round walls decades before Beckham

Robbie Earle - Again no words are necessary for this icon

Andy Porter - I know Cheshire born and bred but local enough, a mainstay in Vale's great era

Mark Chamberlain - Was playing for England within 3 months of leaving us

Mark Bright - Left Vale a year too early but what a fantastic career in the top flight

Stan Steele - Superb goal scorer then in later years dropped to midfield

Subs

Milija Aleksic - Had a wonderful career playing for Tottenham amongst others

Phil Sproson - Vale to the core

Russell Bromage - Another class act

Terry Miles - Vale's first ever sub - versatile enough to provide cover almost anywhere on the field

Neville Chamberlain - Ideal from the bench to inject more pace

John James - You want to put pressure on the opposition and score an ugly goal, this is the man

How football is structured now we will get very few local players to ascend to the heights of this group. However, Nathan Smith is a dead cert for the top flight, it is only a matter of time. He has focus, quiet determination, ability to learn and great ability.

Really interesting thread. Never saw the Iron Curtain team, so here is my selection:

GK: Ken Hancock

RB: Clinton Boulton

CB: Roy Sproson

CB: Neil Aspin

LB: Ron Wilson

MF: Jon McCarthy

MF: Ray Walker

MF: Robbie Earle

MF: Steve Guppy

CF: Bertie Llewelyn

CF: Tin Foyle

Subs:

GK: Paul Musselwhite

FB: Andy Hill

CB: Dean Glover

MF: Robin Van Der Laan

MF: Ian Taylor

CF: Andy Jones

CF: Tony Naylor

Really interesting thread. Never saw the Iron Curtain team, so here is my selection:

GK: Ken Hancock

RB: Clinton Boulton

CB: Roy Sproson

CB: Neil Aspin

LB: Ron Wilson

MF: Jon McCarthy

MF: Ray Walker

MF: Robbie Earle

MF: Steve Guppy

CF: Bertie Llewelyn

CF: Tin Foyle

Subs:

GK: Paul Musselwhite

FB: Andy Hill

CB: Dean Glover

MF: Robin Van Der Laan

MF: Ian Taylor

CF: Andy Jones

CF: Tony Naylor

You can tell we're from the same stock! I had exactly the same team except Mussy in goal, Andy Jones and "Jesse" James up front. Fred, Ern, Ted and me Dad will be laughing at that!

Archived