onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Use Salerio's wages for a new striker? I'd use it to offer this quartet extended deal

News Feed

OVF editor Rob Fielding thinks the club should look at securing the long-term futures of four key players now and not wait till the summer. Rob Fielding writes… Port Vale’s press release following the exit of striker Carlos Saleiro stated that the*player’s wages “frees up funds for manager Bruno Ribeiro to begin searching for a […]

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

I agree. In fact this has been the problem with our larger squads in recent years. Many players are rarely, if at all used on the first team pitch. That money could have been saved towards keeping a longer term star.

Take Campion. On a small wage, I'd hope but stayed here for around two years and never making a memorable contribution. Yet over those two years he must have cost a fair few thousand.

Hi Rob please stop talking such common sense. For many years now the Port Vale football club has failed to reward their better players with new longer and often improved contracts. While it may save a couple of thousand in the short term, in the long run it has cost us big time as we have had a good number of our 'stars' whipped away by other clubs often for nowt.

I'm sorry mate but I doubt if the present owner will listen to a single word that you are saying because he knows it all.

By trying to extend deals tells the players that you are wanted by this club. Waiting until the last minute and offering a likely pay cut does just the opposite I'm afraid.

Smurf should realise the fans love our club but most of the players are earning a living and want the best deal that is on offer out there.

Smith and tavaras will be sold in january if they keep up this form i reckon.

I think Smith is a certainty to go if he can maintain some consistency in his performances. However I'm not sure what the rules are regarding his age and what fee we would be due if he doesn't sign a new contract and is then a free agent next summer. If hes on a longer contract is that a benefit to the club fee wise, I assume so.

I think Smith is a certainty to go if he can maintain some consistency in his performances. However I'm not sure what the rules are regarding his age and what fee we would be due if he doesn't sign a new contract and is then a free agent next summer. If hes on a longer contract is that a benefit to the club fee wise, I assume so.

i think we'd be due compensation but that tends to not be megabucks. I think if he was wanted AND was on a contract then I reckon there could be a big fee in the offing.

If (and it's a big if) anyone does come in for any of our players can the Vale also insist on a sell-on clause too. Just look at Troy Deeney - he was on Walsall's books and was set to move from Watford to Leicester for £30m. Ok, it didn't come off but the fees are so crazy in the PL that had it done so Deeney's move would have got Walsall £6m (probably enough to get them promoted).

i think we'd be due compensation but that tends to not be megabucks. I think if he was wanted AND was on a contract then I reckon there could be a big fee in the offing.

If (and it's a big if) anyone does come in for any of our players can the Vale also insist on a sell-on clause too. Just look at Troy Deeney - he was on Walsall's books and was set to move from Watford to Leicester for £30m. Ok, it didn't come off but the fees are so crazy in the PL that had it done so Deeney's move would have got Walsall £6m (probably enough to get them promoted).

Also don't forget that its up to the player if he wants to sign a deal or not. He's under no obligation to and really he hold all the cards if he can continue to play so well.

If we have any sense then a sell on fee is a must. John Stones is another example. His transfer to Man City netted Barnsley a tidy few million as they had a sell on clause added too.

Also don't forget that its up to the player if he wants to sign a deal or not. He's under no obligation to and really he hold all the cards if he can continue to play so well.

True and I do say in the article that I doubt if Grant (as an example) would sign an extension. But the players do have to be offered one in the first place to turn it down! Far too often Vale don't do that. Look at Andoh - if we'd have extended his contract in January we could be looking at him coming into the team and potentially solving any wing issues in a couple of months...

It's surely better from Vale's perspective to ask them now and perhaps try and get them to commit before they potentially get their heads turned (as they could do as out of contract players in the summer)....

True and I do say in the article that I doubt if Grant (as an example) would sign an extension. But the players do have to be offered one in the first place to turn it down! Far too often Vale don't do that. Look at Andoh - if we'd have extended his contract in January we could be looking at him coming into the team and potentially solving any wing issues in a couple of months...

It's surely better from Vale's perspective to ask them now and perhaps try and get them to commit before they potentially get their heads turned (as they could do as out of contract players in the summer)....

I agree. But I guess thats one of the problems in running a club on a shoestring. However if we are to profit from players and become a developing and selling club then this needs to be addressed. We need to change our ways instead of waiting til the end of the season to see what we can spare on contract offers.

It happens in the premier league often, clubs extend contracts to protect their own interests in case the player does attract interest from other clubs.

Archived