onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Use Salerio's wages for a new striker? I'd use it to offer this quartet extended deal

News Feed

Advert

Hi Rob please stop talking such common sense. For many years now the Port Vale football club has failed to reward their better players with new longer and often improved contracts. While it may save a couple of thousand in the short term, in the long run it has cost us big time as we have had a good number of our 'stars' whipped away by other clubs often for nowt.

I'm sorry mate but I doubt if the present owner will listen to a single word that you are saying because he knows it all.

By trying to extend deals tells the players that you are wanted by this club. Waiting until the last minute and offering a likely pay cut does just the opposite I'm afraid.

Smurf should realise the fans love our club but most of the players are earning a living and want the best deal that is on offer out there.

Who are these good number of stars whipped away for nowt? I can't think of any players apart from mcphee and that was what 10 years ago?

Who are these good number of stars whipped away for nowt? I can't think of any players apart from mcphee and that was what 10 years ago?

Well...

You've got Enoch Andoh now. If he recovers from his injury he could be a real talent in League One but he's not under contract. Arguably Vale could have extended his deal in January to keep him on. I admit that one is subjective as to whether Andoh will recover and be the same player...

Sam Morsy left and turned down a contract offer. As did Dave Hibbert. It's debatable but I reckon both of them could have been assets for us.

But perhaps more importantly this isn't about the past and which players did we lose it's more important that we don't lose any players in the future.

I would argue that Streete and Smith could become real key players but both are out of contract in the summer. Yes we'd get a small amount of compensation for them (as they are under 24) but if they were in contract and a big club calls you can name your asking price then.

As for Grant, Foley and for that matter Purkiss once they are out of contract they are free to leave, no compensation. I would argue they are the core of the side and therefore it makes sense to get them signed up before their deals run out (e.g. in the New Year) rather than wait till the contracts expire.

So, it's not about what talent we lost (if any) in the past, it's more about what talent we could potentially lose in the future...

I agree. But I guess thats one of the problems in running a club on a shoestring. However if we are to profit from players and become a developing and selling club then this needs to be addressed. We need to change our ways instead of waiting til the end of the season to see what we can spare on contract offers.

It happens in the premier league often, clubs extend contracts to protect their own interests in case the player does attract interest from other clubs.

Mahrez has just signed a 4 year contract, highlighted in Norman`s local paper.

Well...

You've got Enoch Andoh now. If he recovers from his injury he could be a real talent in League One but he's not under contract. Arguably Vale could have extended his deal in January to keep him on. I admit that one is subjective as to whether Andoh will recover and be the same player...

Sam Morsy left and turned down a contract offer. As did Dave Hibbert. It's debatable but I reckon both of them could have been assets for us.

But perhaps more importantly this isn't about the past and which players did we lose it's more important that we don't lose any players in the future.

I would argue that Streete and Smith could become real key players but both are out of contract in the summer. Yes we'd get a small amount of compensation for them (as they are under 24) but if they were in contract and a big club calls you can name your asking price then.

As for Grant, Foley and for that matter Purkiss once they are out of contract they are free to leave, no compensation. I would argue they are the core of the side and therefore it makes sense to get them signed up before their deals run out (e.g. in the New Year) rather than wait till the contracts expire.

So, it's not about what talent we lost (if any) in the past, it's more about what talent we could potentially lose in the future...

Some of the older players will probably be on their last contracts come next season and it wouldn't surprise me if they hold out for the best offers, whether that be from us or elsewhere. But I think we would be wise to try and get them to commit so that we have some kind of core and continuity going forward.

But in addition to younger players like Smith and Streete I'd say the same for some of the young lads coming through now. If the club are willing to put players like Gibbons on the bench or give Turner his debut last season, then they must think a lot of them. All being well they can develop at the same rate as Smith has done. Theres no doubt that our academy output has been poor or their potential not realised over the years, so lets hope these lads do get their chance and become assets for us in the process.

Archived