onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bonfire night

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

Sounds like you're all nuts down there.

It must be all this in-breeding in the shires!

When my kids were little (a long time ago) we used to go to Trentham Gardens.

Betley had a good do as did some of the parks but there's nowt like fireworks in your own back garden together with sparklers and burgers. The children used to love that.

Can I just remind everyone that Bonfire Night is not always such a fun night for pets, who may require some TLC with all the noises and frightening stuff (for them) going round - if you really must go out and leave a pet perhaps put the TV or radio on loud to drown out the explosions. And as has been said on TV, if you have a bonfire check it before lighting it, to make sure no hedgehogs or other wildlife has made a home in it. Heavy rain here, so that will dampen things down a bit, though there are events right through the weekend.

Remember too that several children and sometimes adults too are injured and scarred for life every year by fireworks, even a sparkler can be red hot after it has gone out, and cause a really bad burn.

Hope that doesn't sound too miserable, but a few seconds thought can make a pet feel better or save a child from a lifelong injury.

Seem to be more nutters round now than back in the day so whilst we have lost some things on balance it's better that it's more managed now....mind you at the tar barrels event a couple of years back some idiot threw an aerosol into one of the barrels so they can still spoil things somewhat. If only afterwards the ar$eole that had done that had been thrown into one.

Sadly Bonfire night in the north west ended with fire crews seething at having hoses cut in parts of Manchester and being pelted with rocks and stones in other areas, including parts of Liverpool. Perhaps this also happened elsewhere, I only heard reports on my own regional TV.

If people can't be civilised about this, then for the good and safety of fire crews and the public it is time to ban all but organised controlled bonfires / displays from October 1st to November 30th.

Small minority causing trouble..a few 100 (if that) out of tens of 1000s who were out celebrating..the overwhelming majority can clearly be civilized about this. Allow the authorities to ban "events" cos of this and it will be the thin end of the wedge...demos banned cos of the actions of a small minority for example. Catch and punish those that did the deeds..don't punish those that did nothing wrong

Sadly Bonfire night in the north west ended with fire crews seething at having hoses cut in parts of Manchester and being pelted with rocks and stones in other areas, including parts of Liverpool. Perhaps this also happened elsewhere, I only heard reports on my own regional TV.

If people can't be civilised about this, then for the good and safety of fire crews and the public it is time to ban all but organised controlled bonfires / displays from October 1st to November 30th.

I'd disagree, that's punishing the masses for the acts of criminal cowards. The criminal justice system simply needs to be given much, much stronger powers to deal with these scumbags such as hard labour, and no taps on the wrist or Cody cell with Sky at worst case!

In effect what you are suggesting is far more extreme than banning Port Vale from ever playing football again because of the trouble some idiots continually want to cause intermittently.

Archived