onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who's going to cop for it?

smithie

Pope, Williamson & Marshall will most likely return to face Vale at Vale Park next season.

I'm not one for this modern-day "respectful" habit of players not celebrating scoring against their former clubs.

If Pope scores, I'd be disappointed not to see him giving it the big 'un - because scoring goals is his job, it's what earns him money, it's what he's best at. The polite applause can wait for another time - hopefully when we've stuffed Bury 5-0.

I also think he's fair game for booing throughout the match. Not because I hold anything against him (I actually love his playing style and what he did for us), but because a hostile reception would definitely get a reaction from him. An early, meaty challenge from Street or Iniss on Pope would go down a treat!

For those who think booing and barracking would be unfair, consider Tom's recent column where he covered how football is a game played in the mind as well as one the park. His stories about Griff's and Lee Hughes' verbal battles with opponents were hilarious - and it's a fair bet Tom has given and taken his fair share over the years.

Not only that - if we as fans are not there to try and influence things in our favour, what is the point of us being there at all ?

That's my take on it anyhow!

Advert

Can't see Popey getting booed when his name is read out. Probably during the game though, and he'll love the banter anyway.

I think there will be a non-plussed reaction to Williamson. No booing as he never did much wrong, but no applause as he wasn't much cop either.

Why's that?

Because I think the constant sniping, negativity and moans, culminating with boos at his introduction against Rochdale towards the end of the season, was an absolute disgrace and I would love to see him ram it down some people's throats. Always committed, never complaining and not half as bad as some on here like to make out, I felt really sorry for the bloke. Interesting that he never came out and said bye/ thanks when he signed for the Gills. I bet he couldn't get away fast enough.

I supported Ben for a long time but by the end of the season I couldn't defend him any longer.

He was going through the motions and he looked every inch a player who had been tapped up and knew he wasn't sticking around.

Best thing to do is to give them a great round of applause and cheer when their names are announced, then boo them for a bit, then cheer them, then boo them. We can then have a whip round for their therapy session after the game, when they will be a touch confused about how they stand with Vale fans.

But I still have a funny feeling Tom will score against us next season - though I would love Innis to come back and mark him out of the game.

Best thing to do is to give them a great round of applause and cheer when their names are announced, then boo them for a bit, then cheer them, then boo them. We can then have a whip round for their therapy session after the game, when they will be a touch confused about how they stand with Vale fans.

But I still have a funny feeling Tom will score against us next season

As with anything, its the motive that's behind it - even booing can be friendly banter, and Tom would relish it. booing accompanied by hatred and curses for a player trying to injure someone or diving is different.

I agree with a cheer when they run out, and even perhaps applause or a cheer at the end, if hooefully their new team has lost, but in the match a bit of banter or a boo.

Years ago, I remember Frank Worthington, in his autumn days, came on as sub against us at Preston and absolutely loved it, waving and smiling as the 1000 or more Vale fans greeted him with 'oh wan*y, wan+y, .... Wan=y wan=y Worthington' for a good 10 minutes continuously - and played ok.

Football needs some fun and characters, just no malice at players.

Because I think the constant sniping, negativity and moans, culminating with boos at his introduction against Rochdale towards the end of the season, was an absolute disgrace and I would love to see him ram it down some people's throats. Always committed, never complaining and not half as bad as some on here like to make out, I felt really sorry for the bloke. Interesting that he never came out and said bye/ thanks when he signed for the Gills. I bet he couldn't get away fast enough.

He was absolute garbage but I wouldn't get into booing and I thought is ridiculous when people cheered when he was substituted. Saying that I'd never wish him to put a hat-trick past us and frankly the further away from us the better, so Gillingham s a smashing fit

Archived