onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bradford target 17,500 season ticket holders

robf

Evening guys,

I think I've covered this topic on this very forum on numerous occasions, so I won't go into it.

We have sold just under 16,500, of which has been a great response from the fans - I think you'll all agree.

We do have around 1,000 ST holders yet to renew, so the total figure could well come close to 18,000 - which is crazy to say let alone think.

Advert

Instead of making comparisons like that, perhaps Vale should focus more marketing on the Staffordshire Moorlands (almost 100,000 population). There was always good support from Leek and Biddulph in the past.

I too think the Moorlands is the area to go for. I do think for not much outlay the club should explore whether free coaches to the game from selected towns (e.g. Leek) are worthwhile. I am sure the benefit of 50-odd people coming to the game, buying programmes, concourse food and drink and (of course) match tickets would outlay the cost of the coach hire. Not only that but you take 20-odd cars out of the surrounding streets which will ease matchday congestion.

You may also build a kind of commitment among those fans who may not be die-hards - in that it's no longer spontaneous, the coach trip would become a regular thing, friendships could be made, it becomes a regular and enjoyable outing and so on...

The overall point is (as many have said) to make it easy to get to Vale Park. The other obvious places to pinpoint would be Stoke and the local railway stations. In other words, make it simple for people to step off a train and get to the ground.

To do all of this you need to advertise that a trial is in place and invite people to register an interest. That way, you know the rough level of interest before committing and as it's a trial, you can stop it if it doesn't work out.

What is equally crucial is not to do what Vale have generally done in the past (particularly under V2001) which was to barely advertise something and then stop doing it because there is no response.

You need to promote the heck out of it if you want to try it - that means PA announcements, scoreboard msgs, programme adverts and flyers at the turnstiles/club shop. That means getting the message on social media via Twitter. That means speaking to the local press to push it (best way to get the press to cover it is to give them an angle - perhaps an eye-raising competition - a "sign-up for the free bus shuttle ride and one lucky fan will be named in the match squad next season" type promotion).

Even after all that, it may not work, but as with all marketing - unless you test it you'll never know...

p.s. the real reason I came on this thread was to link to this - http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/article/city-on-course-for-18000-season-tickets-2527500.aspx?

Evening guys,

I think I've covered this topic on this very forum on numerous occasions, so I won't go into it.

We have sold just under 16,500, of which has been a great response from the fans - I think you'll all agree.

We do have around 1,000 ST holders yet to renew, so the total figure could well come close to 18,000 - which is crazy to say let alone think.

I did a pub crawl up in Yorkshire a few weeks ago. Mate is a Stoke fan who has lived in Saltaire past few years with his missus, ended up taking in the sights of Skipton, Steeton, Bingley and Keighley.

Some really good pubs up that way, almost felt like a 'throw-back' going to some of those villages but in a good and positive way.:yes:

Looking forward to returning for Bradford away end of August Bank Holiday weekend.

I don't think the prices are the big deal for vale. Bradford's ground is fairly close to a train station and city centre, Vale's isn't. I also find the Lorne Street the only part of the ground with decent enough facilities to want to spend 24 odd games a season.

The Lorne Street is a nice, modern experience. The rest of the ground is often a horrible endurance test.

I don't think the prices are the big deal for vale. Bradford's ground is fairly close to a train station and city centre, Vale's isn't. I also find the Lorne Street the only part of the ground with decent enough facilities to want to spend 24 odd games a season.

The Lorne Street is a nice, modern experience. The rest of the ground is often a horrible endurance test.

If the council got its act together and invested in this city like other cities have in a Tram system then getting too and from Vale would be easier.

The greeway links all the towns in SOT and is perfect for this. The old station in Burslem at the back of the Railway stand would be ideal for fans on a match day.

This City needs moving into the 21st century like other cities around the country

Been watching the Vale since the mid 80s always paying on the gate. Had my first season ticket when we had the £180 season ticket if we sold 5000. Had one since but thought long and hard before renewing this season because it was £360 for Lorne st. Now at £180 wouldn't have given it a second thought and I think at that price we would have sold more with less resistance.

I know there are sums to be done but to me 5000 at a lower price must be better than 3000 at a higher price, with increased sales of food/drink/merchandise etc. To be honest the last 6 games of the season I would have stayed at home and not paid on the gate but as a season ticketholder my money was already in the bank. I did attend.

I did a pub crawl up in Yorkshire a few weeks ago. Mate is a Stoke fan who has lived in Saltaire past few years with his missus, ended up taking in the sights of Skipton, Steeton, Bingley and Keighley.

Some really good pubs up that way, almost felt like a 'throw-back' going to some of those villages but in a good and positive way.:yes:

Looking forward to returning for Bradford away end of August Bank Holiday weekend.

Ey up,

(How's that for a typical Yorkshire welcome ;) )

Great to hear. There are some decent boozers around the edge of the City - and indeed, some really nice spots too.

If you head to North Parade at the tip of Manningham Lane, you'll find some great pubs. Most away fans head straight to the Bradford Arms, but it's an absolute dive.

It'd be great to see other clubs introducing the cheaper ticket scheme - however, it won't work for most clubs.

One of the biggest positives we have drawn from lauching this initiative is that our fanbase appears to be growing.

18,100 sold.

Archived