onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who has been our best ever goalscorer?

carl

Advert

Martin Foyle was class and another striker that has always stayed in mymemory is Cyril Done.

Vale have had some good strikers over the years and I wouldn't like to guess which bone was the best.

Remember Cyril's 5 goals against Liverpool over an Easter weekend double fixture? A total of 60k watched both games.

Unstoppable on his day.

Nine goals in two consecutive Vale Park games.

Scored on his International debut.

He wasn't the complete forward (for me that's Foyle) but for "goalscoring" (and the thead says "best goalscorer" not "best forward") I think he was far and away more single-minded, more clinical and more prolific than any of the others I have seen (and that includes Beckford, Naylor, Pope etc).

In my time....

1. Andy Jones

2. Darren Beckford

3. Tony Naylor

4. Martin Foyle

5. Marc Richards

The man who also proved me completely wrong - Leon Constantine - also deserves a mention for turning his career round at this level and then Pope for his one truly superb season.

For fans of this era difficult to look beyond these five, although would probably go for Lee Mills over Rico (albeit Marc was consistent with us for a longer period).

Special mentions for Futcher, Newton, Joe Allon and Bernie for their brief but successful stints, and Popey for that magnificent season.

I'm sure all who played with him would pick Foyle as their best partner as he constantly adapted his game for the good of the team over the years.

Lots of variables for this one.

Personally, I like to see a forward who has lots of variety in their locker - headers, netbusters, dinks over the keeper etc.

The one who stands out for me is Beckford, closely followed by Foyle.

For entertainment, Naylor and Futcher were outstanding value but Beckford wins it for me.

(Should mention that I only saw Andy Jones when he came back for his loan spell)

Naylor was a wonderfully creative finisher who could score goals out of nothing, which makes him the best in my lifetime.

Constantine is my second favourite as he had a Premier League standard first touch. Really sad he was injured at Leeds and faded.

Most overrated for me was Billy Paynter who people raved about at the time but I remember him missing some absolute sitters.

Archived