onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who has been our best ever goalscorer?

carl

Advert

Dont make big boy bets if you only have little boys pockets.

I don't class 100 quid as 'Big boy' money..it's just that I haven't got it and that statement of yours proves your mentality

Best "goalscorer" so perhaps not the most prolific (Andy Jones) or the most skillful (Tony Naylor) ... hmmm

Joe Allon? Rarely missed a chance. Spent most of his time on the bench (thanks Bill Bell!)

Have always been a huge fan of Beefy though. Pace to burn and awesome in the air.

for me it has to be darren beckford, happy memories of many goals on the way to a very successful period in our history - happy times

Darren Beckford has never quite got the credit he deserves in Port Vale history. Everyone rightly credits players like Walker and Earle but Beckford was the 20 goal a season striker you need if you want to go places. He scored the goals which got us (and kept us) at a higher level than we've been for most of our history.

- 23 goals in the 88/89 promotion season.

- 21 goals in 89/90 (in the second tier of English football)

- 23 goals in 90/91 (again, in the second tier)

- sold for just shy of a million pounds, a huge profit for the football club

He was some header of a ball as well. Even on floated balls into the box rather than driven ones, it was as though he could generate his own power.

Darren Beckford has never quite got the credit he deserves in Port Vale history. Everyone rightly credits players like Walker and Earle but Beckford was the 20 goal a season striker you need if you want to go places. He scored the goals which got us (and kept us) at a higher level than we've been for most of our history.

- 23 goals in the 88/89 promotion season.

- 21 goals in 89/90 (in the second tier of English football)

- 23 goals in 90/91 (again, in the second tier)

- sold for just shy of a million pounds, a huge profit for the football club

He was some header of a ball as well. Even on floated balls into the box rather than driven ones, it was as though he could generate his own power.

I do recall a match possibly against Blackburn. A sloppy high ball came in from the left - I remember thinking what a rubbish cross that was. Beefy was on the edge of the area with two defenders. He out jumped both of them and hammered the ball home with a header.

Then there was a superb goal away at Middlesbrough. I did find it on You Tube. Dribbled round players like they were statues.

Definitely should have gone for more than he did and should have had a fantastic career in the top flight if it wasn't for a few racist Norwich fans.

Years later I went to a Stoke v Walsall reserve game where he was on trial (with 'Sall). Scored a 25 yard volley before getting subbed later.

Archived