onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Mayweather v Pacquiao

Yukon

While I don't agree with all of your post Phil because I do give a **** and very much hope that Manny will win the fight I do agree that it should have taken place a few years ago when both were on top of their game.

I want Pacquiao to win because he is a nice guy and comes across as being humble just the opposite to Mayweather. I went to Manchester before the Hatton fight and he was waving a great wad of dollar notes through an upstairs window trying and succeeding in goading the crowd. Lets be candid he wants and gets everything in his favour including venues and officials and picks his opponents carefully.

Many people feel the same way comparing Maywather and Paquiao as people. Mayweather is an incredible athlete, his behaviour in Manchester is typical Mayweather and although distasteful is done to generate interest and sell PPV's in the UK. He's undefeated in 47 (?) pro fights and the biggest financial draw in boxing so he can call the shots viz venues etc but Vegas is the world capital of boxing. Its often been said that Mayweather selects his opponents carefully but the last three bouts he's had were against tough, tough boxers at their peak, Canelo Alvarez and two vs Maidana, with a real possibility of him losing his undefeated record.

This is the reason why this fight hasn't taken place earlier because I think that a Manny Pacquiao in his pomp would have put pressure constantly on Mayweather and this what Mayweather hates and I think that Manny would have beat him at the time. Unfortunately he is now well past his best so Mayweather will probably come out as the victor though I hope the Pacman proves me wrong.

Sadly I feel this fight is more about both fighters pension plan.

The main reason the fight didn't take place earlier was because Pacman refused to be drug tested before and after the fight, add to this the fighters are signed to different promoters/managers and different tv channels hence major road humps, I believe Pacman has agreed to drug testing for this fight.

Advert

Many people feel the same way comparing Maywather and Paquiao as people. Mayweather is an incredible athlete, his behaviour in Manchester is typical Mayweather and although distasteful is done to generate interest and sell PPV's in the UK. He's undefeated in 47 (?) pro fights and the biggest financial draw in boxing so he can call the shots viz venues etc but Vegas is the world capital of boxing. Its often been said that Mayweather selects his opponents carefully but the last three bouts he's had were against tough, tough boxers at their peak, Canelo Alvarez and two vs Maidana, with a real possibility of him losing his undefeated record.

a lot of hype and bulls droppings surrounds boxing which is very off putting plus the prices charged whether it be ringside or pay tv, couldn't be bothered who wins gets damaged or sets it up for a rematch, it's to my way of thinking a non event, far more important things to be concerned about than a couple of well heeled priques dancing around.

The main reason the fight didn't take place earlier was because Pacman refused to be drug tested before and after the fight, add to this the fighters are signed to different promoters/managers and different tv channels hence major road humps, I believe Pacman has agreed to drug testing for this fight.

Surely all our buddies on this site would chip in to see you take a spanking? :)

who'd be the ref with splints and oxygen at the ready, and we would need a neutral venue, probably Gerry atricks would consent to being the ref ,all we need now is the corner men and some serious training, ARE YOU READY,,,:laugh:

who'd be the ref with splints and oxygen at the ready, and we would need a neutral venue, probably Gerry atricks would consent to being the ref ,all we need now is the corner men and some serious training, ARE YOU READY,,,:laugh:

I was born ready.... I was thinking a nice stretch of beach in Phuket... training provided by one of the local bars

Everybody to their own. These two guys are well healed 'cause they've repeatedly put their lives on the line (Pacman was knocked out cold 2-3 fights ago) in fights and are at the top of the sport in their weight class, both have had tough lives.

The vast majority of boxers don't command such purses and the vast majority don't go for the showman stuff, take a look at the Khazakstani boxer Gennady Golovkhin on Youtube, pound for pound the best and most exciting boxer on the planet at the moment, incredible athlete, massively skilled and talented boxer and as humble as they come.

Who was it that wanted to enforce the drug testing though Paul? I can tell you that it was Mayweather. Pacquiao in fact agreed to the authorities drug tests but Mayweather wanted repeated tests right up to the proposed day of the fight. Mayweather wants other fighters to jump through hoops for the honour of fighting him. The man is a disgrace in my eyes and to compare himself as bigger than Ali are just the words of a deluded fool. Anyway it is for others to decide how good Mayweather is not him. Everyone knows that self praise is no recommendation.

Vegas may be the world's boxing capital but is also the most corrupt with a host of judges having their licences revoked for past dodgy decisions.

Mayweather demands everything in his favour from the venue right down to the gloves they wear and who refs the fight.

If he was as good as he tells us he is then he would fight anywhere and with the ref chosen by the boxing board.

Who was it that wanted to enforce the drug testing though Paul? I can tell you that it was Mayweather. Pacquiao in fact agreed to the authorities drug tests but Mayweather wanted repeated tests right up to the proposed day of the fight. Mayweather wants other fighters to jump through hoops for the honour of fighting him. The man is a disgrace in my eyes and to compare himself as bigger than Ali are just the words of a deluded fool. Anyway it is for others to decide how good Mayweather is not him. Everyone knows that self praise is no recommendation.

Vegas may be the world's boxing capital but is also the most corrupt with a host of judges having their licences revoked for past dodgy decisions.

Mayweather demands everything in his favour from the venue right down to the gloves they wear and who refs the fight.

If he was as good as he tells us he is then he would fight anywhere and with the ref chosen by the boxing board.

I tend to agree with you overall, Old Sage. Without Mayweather's caution I think he, Pacquiao and others could have come close to a Leonard/Hearns/Duran era level of competitiveness. Floyd may well have come off best of the lot, as Leonard did; and Leonard's legacy is very safe indeed.

Yep is was Mayweather as there were rumors about Pacman, Pacman started his career as a flyweight and is now a welterweight so a huge increase in weight for an athlete, I see no reason why Pacman would not be drug tested before and after the fight if he had nothing to hide. I'm not overly keen on FM as a person but respect his boxing ability, he's a showman, salesman and much of what he does is designed to make money, his TMT logo is an acronym for "The Money Team". He's a confident guy and a little foolish to compare himself with Ali.

Vegas is also "The Wembley" of the boxing world, with the demise of Atlantic City it's the most lucrative venue there is so why not Vegas, the place is rocking. Pacman also likes to choose the venues, two of his last three fights have been in Macau but Vagas really is the place for this fight, I doubt Pacman would argue against it. Judging a boxing match is a difficult proposition as there's always the paradox between number of punches thrown and connected vs power punches and there have been some recent howlers in terms of judging, I wouldn't say Vegas is the most corrupt in terms of judging but there are poor judges around, however, the referee for tonight's fight is Kenny Bayless who's one if not the most respected referee in the world and the 3 judges are also well respected and have adjudicated in many top class fights. I doubt Mayweather had anything to do with choosing the ref, certainly Freddie Roach (Pacman's trainer) is happy that Bayliss is the referee as he considers him the best there is.

No doubt Mayweather calls most of the shots but if your opponent can put over $100m bucks in your pocket who's going to argue. Mayweather has fought all over the USA but not outside it and when the pundits review his career it will be a factor when considering his place in boxing history.

Archived