onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colchester 1 P Vale 2

Caz or caz123

For Vale the FA cup is the most important competition we play. We need to get to the third round as it is one of the only ways we can get a financial advantage over our rivals. The prize money for each round is as good as the gate profits from a large home gate, especially in later rounds.

Personally, The FA cup is still the best cup competition bar none and I can't think of anything more exciting than seeing underdogs do well. The champions league is irrelevant to supporters of most clubs in the country. Even if we were in it, most of the teams in the early rounds are increasingly odd Eastern European ones I'd never heard of

Advert

we're almost certainly not going to go up this season (i hope i'm wrong), and i'm confident we won't go down (i hope i'm right)

so why fans don't seem to care about the FA cup blows my mind. this pathetic mentality that's filtered down from the prem that cup competitions don't really matter is embarrassing. sheffield united got to the semi final of the FA cup last year, bradford city got to the final of the league cup the year before - those are memories that won't get forgotten in 80 years, oooh but let's sacrifice them so we have a better chance of winning the following league game. mental.

(this post is addressing the general feeling across most football fans of all clubs these days, rather than what has specifically been said in here before there are tears)

It was a good win, a needed 3 points and a magnificent gesture by page to take the players over to the traveling supporters.... thats how you start to increase the home gates... we need a run in the cup for the money and hopefully entice more people to attend league games [if they like/enjoy what they see]... and the glory of course

Because the team and in particular, for the 2nd week, the defence did better--cruel and probably inaccurate to suggest Tom's absence has made us a better outfit!

I never said it did. And I don't think we are better without. It was simply a reply to those who think our season is over just because of one injury.

Seen the goals on TV, I couldn't see an offside in the build up to the penalty incident, and their player looked like he was sandwiched by Duffy & McGivern.

Their keeper might be a bit disappointed he got done on his near post a couple of times.

Streete also got caught ball watching when it got headed back across goal for Sears to score.

To be fair, the replay doesn't show enough of the build up to see the offside player. The Vale players complained bitterly to the liner after the goal.

McGiven was more at fault with the last goal as he was out of position at the far post for the header that came back to Sears. I wouldn't criticise McGiven though for what was a generally good performance, nor Streete who looked streets ahead of our other defenders. We definitely need to extend his loan - solid as a rock.

These are small points though - this was a brilliant team performance by the Vale which will boost team confidence no end. Really encouraging - both for our coming league games and for next week's cup fixture against MK Franchise. We stand a real chance next week, it's just a pity that O'Connor got himself booked for mouthing off.

The team seems to be really gelling under RP and our play after the second goal was excellent, full of running, confidence and incisive passing. Best I've seen from Vale for yonks. Bodes well for the future if we can keep it up. :)

why? where do you think we're gonna finish?

I do agree with him Imo the league is more important, I love the fa cup and will be there Saturday but for me the Rochdale match could shape our season, another win and we are right back in the mix. The fa cup is much more special when we draw a small side like last season, a game against franchise is underwhelming but hopefully we can win and get a good draw next round.

we're almost certainly not going to go up this season (i hope i'm wrong), and i'm confident we won't go down (i hope i'm right)

so why fans don't seem to care about the FA cup blows my mind. this pathetic mentality that's filtered down from the prem that cup competitions don't really matter is embarrassing. sheffield united got to the semi final of the FA cup last year, bradford city got to the final of the league cup the year before - those are memories that won't get forgotten in 80 years, oooh but let's sacrifice them so we have a better chance of winning the following league game. mental.

(this post is addressing the general feeling across most football fans of all clubs these days, rather than what has specifically been said in here before there are tears)

Couldn't agree more.

It's been so sad to see the gradual decline in importance of the world's greatest cup competition. As you say, the Premier league mentality that the league is everything and the cups are an inconvenience is filtering down to the lower leagues. This would have been inconceivable 20 years ago.

We're at a point now where a whole generation of fans have no comprehension of the true value and importance of the competition.

How on earth did we reach a point where a league game against Rochdale (which in all probability will be of little or no importance overall) is seen as more important than an FA cup tie?!

Imagine if the same attitudes had been prevalent in '88 when we played Macc...no Spurs, no catalyst for the success of the 90s. But hey, we could have won the next league game against...who was it?? No idea. Did we win? Lose? Draw? No idea...and really don't care. Ultimately it didn't matter and has faded from memory. The cup run hasn't, and never will.

With the exception of a promotion, the dream of a cup run should be the ultimate buzz for any fan. It's so, so sad that no longer seems to be the case.

Now hold up I wouldn't go that far

Neal a cracking keeper steady on you'll be saying this country is out of recession next and cameron knows what he's doing

After Goodlad best permanent Vale keeper in my life time I think (bearing in mind Southall was only on loan).

Let's not bring politics into this thread, I'm enjoying the break from ;)

Archived